Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Project

Talking New Project

Hi everyone. I bought my VX last week with a blown engine. I've been reading this forum for the past week trying to learn as much about these as I can. A lot of good info! I bought mine from the original owner (un-modified). It took him 2 months to decide he was giving up on it. I see now from reading posts that there are quite a few of you like that on here!
    I'm a technician at a very large dealership that has multiple lines of cars. We were an Isuzu dealer up until November, so a few VXs come in from time to time. I'm a Chrysler,Dodge,Jeep master tech., but I have always thought the VX was a cool looking vehicle.
    I've had many projects in the past (a lot of toyota trucks). I built a Toy 4x4 with 10"s of lift, 42" swampers & a Chevy 350 w/auto. Then I got out of the mud for awhile & built a 2wd Toy. With a Buick V6 & auto. The last Toy was the most fun. It was a 2wd with a Dodge small block & nitrous!
    Anyway, when I had a chance to buy this VX, it got my brain turning again. It's been about 7 years without a project! My plan is to rebuild this engine to get it back on the road. 3" suspension, 3" body lift, 35 or 36" tires. Then I want to start accumulating parts to put a cummins diesel in it. I'll be using a 4BT (which is the 4cyl version of the 5.9L 6cyl. In the big ram trucks) I'll use the dodge 47RH automatic & probably a 231 transfer case. The Isuzu diffs should work well with the 4.30 gears.
    What do you think?

I'm no mechanic by any means, but that sounds cool to me. Another good resource for modifying the Isuzu is planetsuzoo.com so try to get input from there also. It is always good to have more input than less.
    Welcome, it is always good to have mechanical experience, and an inventive mind when envisioning the next toy.
    I have a build-able engine from one of my VX's and would like to ask you some questions when it gets warmer and I start re-building it.

No problem, I'll always give help when I can. I haven't brought mine home yet. There's just too much snow in my driveway to be able to get it in the garage once I get it here. Hoping to have the engine torn apart in the next week or so. I know the cams are seized. The crank spins freely, but there was no oil on the dipstick. The tech that used to work on isuzus has used heads for it. So I'm hoping a re-ring kit ( gasket set, rings, rod & main bearings), oil pump, & all new timing components will get it back up & running. Just have my fingers crossed the crank is ok & the cyls. Look good.

OhioVX... welcome to the obsession!!!

Because of your past history with Isuzu... could you look through the following thread? Any additional input would be awesome

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=25167
    ---------

Ty

I, personally didn't work on the Isuzus. The parts manager at work said as of last November we can no longer order Isuzu parts. So I really don't know who can.
    Sorry

If you need parts Denison auto parts in cleveland has a VX in there yard.... I bought a passenger window from them a few weeks ago. Not sure what they have available just food for thought. ... 1-800-328-9001

If you're doing rings make sure to search and read up on drilling oil passage holes in the pistons...will cure any oil burning issues.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Nice, I'd love to see a diesel in a VX.

Let me know if you have any questions about the lift options... 3"SL-3"BL-35"MT/Rs is the curent setup on my VX.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Nice, I'd love to see a diesel in a VX.

Let me know if you have any questions about the lift options... 3"SL-3"BL-35"MT/Rs is the curent setup on my VX.

Yeah, I've done different gas swaps but the amount of torque at LOW rpms got me thinking. I work with a couple of Cummins freaks at work that are pushing me this way. The 1 guy I work with has an 06 Ram 2500 Megacab, lifted with 35's. The actual engine is stock. But head studs, big inj. pump, injectors, twin turbos, & tuned. This truck weighs 8000lbs! & ran an 11.35 ET in the 1/4 mile with M/T tires. This truck is driven daily to work, & tows a camper. I can't think of any gas engine that could do all that. I don't plan on drag racing the VX, but the potential is really unbelievable.
    I think the amount of lift you have is about right for what I want. (looks great by the way)

Question, It looks like the people on here use the Trooper body lift kit from Independant4x. They don't specify a year range for the trooper. I see other manufactures sell body lifts for Troopers, but usually say they fit -94. the pics of the components in the kits look the same. Of course the reason for asking is I could save a few bucks (I'm a cheap *** on certain things). Body lifts are way over priced, their just plastic blocks & bolts!

Sounds great, good luck, and please keep us posted!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiovx View Post
    I think the amount of lift you have is about right for what I want. (looks great by the way)

Question, It looks like the people on here use the Trooper body lift kit from Independant4x. They don't specify a year range for the trooper. I see other manufactures sell body lifts for Troopers, but usually say they fit -94. the pics of the components in the kits look the same. Of course the reason for asking is I could save a few bucks (I'm a cheap *** on certain things). Body lifts are way over priced, their just plastic blocks & bolts!
    Thanks man.

Indy4x is a great source for many lift parts but the body lift is a bit overpriced for what you need. I purchased the kit because I hadn't done a body lift before and didn't want to forget any necessary parts... I ended up with a bunch of leftover Trooper parts. All you need is the pucks, longer bolts & a jigsaw for trimming cladding. The 4 rear body mount bolts thread into the frame, so matching the bolt+3" is required. All of the other bolts use a nut and can be less specific.

I created a write-up for the body lift that goes into more details.
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=91

Good luck with the build. I agree that diesel has it's advantages for 4 wheelers. Cost difference between diesel-gasoline engine is the biggest disadvantage.

Yeah, I read your install thread. Great thread by the way for people that have never tackled a body lift before. I've probably done 10 or so body lifts in my past. Doesn't really seem like there is anything out of the ordinary with a VX. So I'll probably just get the best deal I can find on a trooper kit. That should give me what I need. Think I will probably use independent4x for the suspension parts.

Rocky Road also has a few lift kits that cost less, if you want to check out that option.

Thought I'd see if I can figure out how to post a couple pics.

Seems like you did just fine.

Back bumper removal is something I'm getting ready to tackle in a couple weeks myself to do a little light modification. How easy was it to take off?