Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Selector Shaft Seal: Transmission Leak

Post Selector Shaft Seal: Transmission Leak

I just thought I would throw together a quick post about the Selector Shaft Seal. As our VXes get older, I'm sure more of us are going to see this. I've only found one specific thread about this so I figured I would add another for future reference.

So, there is a thick little rubber o-ring/seal on the driver's side (US) that is behind the transmission mode switch and the gear selector lever. I noticed a pretty bad leak in this area, and I assumed it was the pan gasket. It was time for tranny service anyhow, so I changed the fluid, filter and pan gasket. The leak persisted. I could see the leak forming on the dust shield that covers the mode switch. There was an obvious drip there, but it was still difficult to discern where the leak was coming from because fluid gets everywhere. So I checked the manual and it indicated that the "selector shaft seal" is a common leak point. I then called Merlin and got a new seal. That was like 8 months ago. Procrastinators unite!

Anyway, I got to checking this out this weekend. Having never take apart this area of my VX, and with the manual being EXTREMELY vague as per usual, it was just a matter of figuring it out. As it turned out, it is quite easy to get at from under the VX, even though an exhaust pipe is annoyingly in the way. Basically, all you need to do it pull the cotter pin holding the lever arm and disconnect and pull it off from the selector shaft. Then you can get at the two little bolts (one barely visible on top) that hold the mode switch to the trans. It takes a little wiggling, a socket extension, a flashlight, and getting your ape hand stuck between the torsion bar and frame rail for about 5 minutes (no kidding, started to get worried for a minute) but then it comes off.

So now I have my mode switch hanging and I can see the rubber seal around the selector shaft. And because I was still worried that I might have a leak around the pan, I decided to let it sit like this overnight so I could be SURE the selector shaft was leaking and not the pan. I figured with all this stuff removed and the seal right there in front of me, I would see the fluid seep out right there and know for sure. But instead, nothing leaks. It's been 18 hours now and no more drips on the floor!! So the pan isn't leaking, which is great, and neither is the selector shaft seal, at the moment.

Its my guess that the seal only leaks when I am in a certain gear, most likely PARK. I would get a pretty big puddle of ATF right away before, and it would just keep dripping. Now that i have it all apart however, there is no leak. So, there must be some sort of pressure on this seal when in a certain gear that causes this leak. Anyway, I just found that interesting enough to post about. I'm going to change out the seal regardless, but all in all, a fairly easy job.

Bart

Thanks Bart, will certainly file it away for when the time comes. Is it just a standard o-ring?
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Thanks Bart, will certainly file it away for when the time comes. Is it just a standard o-ring?
    Not really, its tapered, square sholdered and thick, and made from harder rubber than a normal o-ring. Part # 8-08644-709-0.

Bart

and has the cure worked?

What did the seal cost? I may need one...I have a small leak in that area. Does it just pop out once you remove the above listed stuff?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Chop/Billy, I'll get back to you guys on your questions. I actually haven't finished yet. The original seal is still in there, and oddly enough, it isn't leaking right now. I just didn't feel like getting dirty again today, but I will probably finish it this week. I can't remember what the seal cost, but I know it was cheap, like less than $10. For some reason, $8 comes to mind but I really can't remember. Merlin knows for sure though.

Bart

Thanks for the info Bart. Keep us updated on the actual removal of the part.

UPDATE: Sorry for the delay. I slacked....

Anyway, the old seal was completely dry-rotted. There wasn't much left of it. I had to scrape out the bits with some various picks. Not fun. You kinda have to jam your head up under there to see the top of the shaft and get at the crumbly seal. Small flashlight needed. But, I got it out as best I could and then I looked at the new seal. Imagine a bowl with a hole in the bottom. That's what the new seal looks like. And given that my old seal was toast, I really had no idea what the orientation was supposed to be. So I called Merlin to verify.

According to Merlin, the 'inside of the bowl' goes TOWARDS the trans, while the 'bottom of the bowl' goes towards the Mode Switch. That's what I thought when I looked at it, but I had to verify with Merlin first. The manual is absolutely NO help.

So I got the seal back on and the Mode Switch and shifter connected again. I cleaned up everything and then I jacked up the tranny a bit and removed the cross member. I think the pan is still leaking, so I am going to let her sit for a few days and see if any more drips appear. With the cross member out of the way, I should be able to see exactly where the leak is coming from, but it better not leak at the selector shaft anymore!

Bart

Mine was leaking the first day I got it...made my heart sink....
    took it to the "authorized Isuzu" dealership, they ID'd the problem quickly, ordered the "shift shaft seal" and had it repaired for a total of $107 including labor.....thought I was goin' faint when it turned out to be so cheap....when does that ever happen?!
    Guess it's easy to get to like Bart said and therefore fast to change.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I currently have a very small leak - wondering if it's the same problem. Produces just enough ATF to "wet" the underside of the pan but no drips - really irritating....
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    thought I was goin' faint when it turned out to be so cheap.
    Well, the part is literally like a $3 part. And quite honestly, the labor is nothing. Had I done this before, and had I not been messing around looking for other leaks, I could have had it apart, changed and back together in about 20 minutes. So it is pretty easy, for those who have this leak and want to fix it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    I currently have a very small leak - wondering if it's the same problem. Produces just enough ATF to "wet" the underside of the pan but no drips - really irritating....
    Well, being that I don't drive the VX daily anymore, I have time to let her sit so I can really see where the leaks are. I'm hoping that I don't have a pan leak as well, but I won't know until I let it sit for a big longer. With the seal leaking, the bottom of the pan is completely wet, and if you stick your fingers on top of the cross member, you will likely have a pool of ATF there. But if you are driving your VX every day, you will have lots of ATF blowing everywhere. I didn't notice this leak until I saw a drip forming on the bottom of the dust sheild that covers the mode switch.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    "shift shaft seal"
    Say that three times fast!

I bought a SSS from Merlin and had a shop replace it but was still getting fluid on my floor. I took it back, they confirmed it's definitely the source of the leak and cleaned it off / put it back in. It's still leaking so I guess it's my turn, next.

What's the likelihood that I got a bad seal? Maybe they installed it with the "bowl" pointing the wrong direction - or is it "too obvious" which way it goes?

All advice welcome!

Rick, When I replaced mine I had a devil of a time getting the remains of the old seal out. The rubber part is bonded on to a steel ring and that steel I had touble with. In the process I put a little burr on the top off the shift shaft which I had to dress up with a bit file and some emery cloth. No leaks a year later. If your shop did something similar and didn't refurbish any marred spots, that could be your leak. Wish you luck.

Yeah, you gotta really get in there with a pick and clean out the old seal. The rubber cup is not exactly obvious with, which way it goes. I honestly don't remember myself. I did use a SSS installed I got on eBay as well to push it in.

My SSS is not leaking now, but my pan still is.

Bart