Hi everyone. I bought my VX last week with a blown engine. I've been reading this forum for the past week trying to learn as much about these as I can. A lot of good info! I bought mine from the original owner (un-modified). It took him 2 months to decide he was giving up on it. I see now from reading posts that there are quite a few of you like that on here!
I'm a technician at a very large dealership that has multiple lines of cars. We were an Isuzu dealer up until November, so a few VXs come in from time to time. I'm a Chrysler,Dodge,Jeep master tech., but I have always thought the VX was a cool looking vehicle.
I've had many projects in the past (a lot of toyota trucks). I built a Toy 4x4 with 10"s of lift, 42" swampers & a Chevy 350 w/auto. Then I got out of the mud for awhile & built a 2wd Toy. With a Buick V6 & auto. The last Toy was the most fun. It was a 2wd with a Dodge small block & nitrous!
Anyway, when I had a chance to buy this VX, it got my brain turning again. It's been about 7 years without a project! My plan is to rebuild this engine to get it back on the road. 3" suspension, 3" body lift, 35 or 36" tires. Then I want to start accumulating parts to put a cummins diesel in it. I'll be using a 4BT (which is the 4cyl version of the 5.9L 6cyl. In the big ram trucks) I'll use the dodge 47RH automatic & probably a 231 transfer case. The Isuzu diffs should work well with the 4.30 gears.
What do you think?