Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with this?

1999 Astral 0074, 2001 Proton, 1999 Ebony, 1999 Astral 0163

Any experience with this?

I REALLY want to protect my hood a little better. I'm getting some dings. Has anyone experienced this particular bra? I feel weird about it because there isn't a picture of a VX wearing one....
    http://www.autoanything.com/car-bras...A37A260A1.aspx

I've been running the magnet bra for several years now. I like it mo betta.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Well, I read some threads specifically about the magnet...I'm concerned about leaving it on for an extended period of time, which I will most likely do. I really don't want to harm anything any more than it already is....

Any kind of removable bra has a chance of causing problems with the paint, so you might look into the 3M invisible bras or simply take it somewhere that does wrapping and have them apply one of their thicker materials.

And with a wrap, you might even be able to get something relatively close to the paint color .

Here you go...

Personally I think the air dam/foil is cartoonishly tall. Compare it to the OEM hood bra which I think looks much better:

If you want an OEM bra maybe this one is still for sale? They haven't been available through Isuzu for 6 years or better I believe.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23478

If you want a traditional bra but can't find an OEM one I'd recommend the magnet bra option. Otherwise you might want to do a clear bra, I actually sold my OEM bra and went to a clear bra instead and I'm very happy. Here are a few pics with the clear bra on the hood, fenders, and headlights (prevents hazing):

IIRC it cost about $230 to do and it looks great almost 2 years later.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I have the magnet one also...actually on my second one.

Wash the VX good before install and give it two or three coats of GOOD wax.

I have not had any damage issues and I make sure never to get water under it when washing the VX.

This has been my experience with this product.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by VXobsession View Post
    Well, I read some threads specifically about the magnet...I'm concerned about leaving it on for an extended period of time, which I will most likely do. I really don't want to harm anything any more than it already is....
    I had some mottling under my magnet bra but was able to remove it with a rubbing compound & lotsa elbow grease. There was no permanent damage to the paint.

If you're interested in one of the Magnet Bras, I have one still in the box that I never put on. At the time I bought it, it was still being promoted as an install it and forget it type of application, but over time that proved to not necessarily be the case so I never tried it.

Too bad GTS or some similar company doesn't make a tinted plexiglass hood deflector like the one I used to have on my Tacoma. Never had any problems associated with the paint using that type of protector.

How much you want for it?

I had a magnet bra. It does look good, but make sure to wax the vehicle REALLY good before you install it. I didn't. Anyhow, to make a long story short my VX became discolored when I took the bra off. Since, I liked the look of the bra, I took my VX to a Line-X place. For the price of the bra, you could get your VX Line-Xed.

Still looks new after 8 years. Just my 2 cents.

Peace.

Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Quote Originally Posted by VXobsession View Post
    How much you want for it?
    I've actually reconsidered selling it to anyone. I remember that it's part of the normal procedure when buying a new one to lay it out flat to get rid of any creases that may have formed during shipment, but this thing has been folded up for so long now, I doubt that would help with this one any more.

Sorry, that hadn't occurred to me when I offered to sell it.

You'd most likely be better of just buying a new one, especially since shipping alone for this one wouldn't be that much less than the cost of a brand new one.

I also had and liked the magnet bra. I did wax the area twice with Collinite insulator wax (the stuff is supposed to be tough and lasts 5 months out in the elements). I was kind of lazy and left it on for 4-6 months, and thru many car washes.

Was rather surprised to find there was just some faint smudge type marks where it appeared a little water had gotten under and kind of left a water mark.

I wiped it with damp rag (yeah I know not a good idea), and most of it came off. Waxed with Insulator wax again and it returned to 100% normal, no paint color difference or line where it stopped.
    Insulator wax has NO abrasives at all, so it didn't "polish" off the marks.

Now mine was NOT out in the sun a lot, which may have something to do with it.

Or maybe it was the Collinite wax, or a combo. But I think the Insulator wax was a good part of the success.

But I loved the magnet bra because it was so low maintenance.

HOWEVER, it does DENT very easy! You have to store it very carefully with no debris under it or it will end up with permanent upward dimples.

Obviously the clear 3M bra like mav has takes care of all these problems, so it's a great choice too.

The magnet bra was only $60, so it's not a huge expense if you don't like it or it gets damaged.

I forgot to put the edging on one time, then went on the highway and it flew off! it was thrashed from the road debris and skidding along the road, had dents all over...had to buy a new one.
    BTW I have a brand new edge trim if anybody needs it.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

How much for your edge trim? I purchased a new magnet bra. Wish me luck everyone!

Magnet bra great(do wax prep) mine flew off like Sues even with edge, in Moab no less.Bought VT Maverick's OEM bra(mint condition) love it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Come on guys, I know VX was designed in the early 90's, but you advertise it? Bras on cars looks very dated!

I would get a "clear bra"...
    96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)