Thread: Dynomat + OEM Hood Blanket / Insulator = NO BUENO!

Dynomat + OEM Hood Blanket / Insulator = NO BUENO!

Just FYI...

If you intend on using Dynomat for the Hood... do not also use the OEM Hood Blanket. I've voiced my concern on here before...AFTER I already installed everything...but I haven't tested it yet. After installing a new Rear View Mirror w/inside and outside temps and a sensor I had to mount, by the front grill... I also decided to add another sensor in the engine bay to monitor live engine bay temp. I haven't used it yet as we are yet again under some snow..but just by running the VX for about 15-20min in idle, and the hood down, but not latched all the way... you can tell it is to damn hot in there. I'll have to remove the OEM blanket.

Keep in mind that anywhere I applied Dynomat (Dynomat Extreme, the heaviest they make) .. I also added Dynaliner on top of the Dynomat. That's 3 layers in the engine bay... I have NO idea what I was thinking...

Moral of the story... Dynomat is a great substitute for a bad/worn/or no Hood Blanket. But don't use both at the same time.
    ---------

Ty

Dynamat makes a hoodliner http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...hoodliner.html

Why not just go with that?

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    Dynamat makes a hoodliner http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...hoodliner.html

Why not just go with that?
    That was my original thought... however when I saw on that same webpage...

"NOTE: The Hoodliner provides maximum noise control when applied over Dynamat Xtreme."

I knew that either way, I was about to spend some BIG CASH (for me anyways) on all this Dynamat and Dynaliner stuff (as I planned on doing the ENTIRE cab and top of hood)...so then I decided to call and I spoke with 2 different technicians. I bypassed sales and went directly to the techies... I asked both Scott and Troy (on different phone calls) what is my best option between using the Hoodliner and 1/8" DynaLiner because it is also recommended for hoods. They both said the DynaLiner would be the best option for a few reasons...(getting this from notes I wrote on legal pad during phone conv):

1. The Hood Liner was available in a generic shape which would accomodate most but not to all depending on size/shape of the hood. Visually it would not be the best option and it would not cover the whole area of the Hood Blanket nor the shape. Since my VX is more for show, I wanted it to LOOK good as well when the hood was opened. Then they had an option with a larger sheet and you could cut it to what you need, however if you made a mistake ... that's it you have to work with the mistake or order a new one.

2. Both said that DynaLiner is a more effective product in regards to noise. I was more concerned about having a quiet vehicle so that the sound system is more vibrant. The idea for me was so that while in the VX driving, regardless of what terrain, what speed, what kind of tires I have... that most of what you are hearing while driving is the sound system (when playing), or nature (when camping/hiking or site-seeing), or the conversation going on inside (with other people or the bluetooth cell phone connection)... and to not hear the motor or road noise as much. They both recommended DynaLiner over the Hood Liner, but they said it is a more expensive and more time consuming choice... but either way I should definintely have a layer of Dynamat Extreme to start off with first.

I'm sure that the Hood Liner will work for most people...but for my specific needs, I went with their (more costly) recommendation. In the end I did Dynamat Extreme and DynaLiner 1/8". I'll be removing and storing the Hood Blanket and their clips.

Cool. So in another thread, I saw you mention that you're pretty much throwing your wallet @ your VX When are we going to get some pics?

I am in no way even close to knowing what i am talking about here but from a sound deadening point of view it seems that dynomating a hood would do very little as compared to the fire wall. I know my engine is not "that" noisey...if it was my money would be better spent on engine repairs So what is the purpose. It seems that higher under hood temps is not a good trade-off.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)