Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it time? Tell me its not.

Alright, its that time again.

The pressure has built up to where I just sadly need a 4 door. Only this time Im thinking of going cheap and not selling but having another as an addition.

My son is 2.5yr now and tall enough to make it tough to put him into his seat when he doesnt do it himself.

Hopefully I never have to sell but when I buy a 4 door, my fear is that I will be spoiled by it and not want to drive the VX much. We all know its fun for more reasons than one.

Does anyone else hunt? Its crazy fitting a tree stand/other gear/and weapon of the season with a car seat.

My list -
    Axiom - very specific - some planet guys almost changed my mind, plus there are a lot with blown engines or new transmissions.

ML55/500 - For some reason, even as van-like as they look, I like them a little -

Envoy XUV - I have learned to like this as well. There have been times I wish I had a truck bed or covered bed.

Touareg - plain style but decent

Xterras - but not sure if it is big enough - and seems to easy to replace the VX with modding it.

Hell

Buy the cheap 4 door and use it for the Crawler crawler take the back seat out of the VX and use it for fun and hunt. Without the back seat weapons and gear fit fine
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Mebbe you can find a sweet deal on sumpn like this. I usta have one & still miss it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

This vehicle will be most likely non-lifted (except if I get the Xterra), making maybe just maybe the VX more outfitted for off roading only.

Id say FJ, but I dont have 2 legged kids. Xterra has a timing chain that has to be replaced at 60k due to plastic chain guides, just a warning. If its not true off roading a forester xt or gla amg.

DO NOT GET A TOUAREG! I know 3 people who have had them, nothing but problems including one that had to have a driveshaft replaced at 40k miles.
    Current caretaker of The elusive 2001 "Pearl White" VX - The last one.
    1988 BMW 325ic

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    This vehicle will be most likely non-lifted
    Actually the TLC was great ... even not lifted. It has seating for 8 (which is why we got it). I have 3 kids & Bren has 3 so we were quite challenged for transportation when we first started out together. It was a real beastie. All of the kids learnt to drive in it except for the youngest. We put 1/4 million miles on it during it's tenure as a tot toter for us. The 4WD system on it was remarkable ... it went anywhere I pointed it.

It's worth a quick check on Craigslist to see if there are any out there in the right price range.

what about

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Actually the TLC was great ... even not lifted. It has seating for 8 (which is why we got it). I have 3 kids & Bren has 3 so we were quite challenged for transportation when we first started out together. It was a real beastie. All of the kids learnt to drive in it except for the youngest. We put 1/4 million miles on it during it's tenure as a tot toter for us. The 4WD system on it was remarkable ... it went anywhere I pointed it.

It's worth a quick check on Craigslist to see if there are any out there in the right price range.
    Alice?

I must be dense. Can't figger out where you're goin wit dat

John, at risk of being thrown off this forum, and being laughed at and mocked,I make the following suggestion cause you are a friend.... So here it goes

Have you considered the "mini van" alternative. I know, I know it sounds insane! But, having my 3 grandkids now, I take them every morning to school in the vx, and THEY love the vx. However, my truck is in repair since the wreck. My wife has a Pontiac Montana, and it's a good looking van, leather heated seats and mirrors, all kinds of room and options for sound equipment. We can easily haul 4 adults, and three kids in boosters and car seats and still have room in back for luggage ect. Extremely dependable, has traction control, the thing has ran and ran with hardly any serious issues, just routine maintanence and it keeps ticking. Gets pretty good gas mileage, is very comfortable to drive, get thru snow without issue. Power sliding doors on both sides. Is it as cool as the vx? No, not at all! Is it easy to load up 3 kids, and all their gear in a matter of a minute and a half when running behind? Yeah, it is! Yeah, you may need to build a fence to park it behind so no one knows you drive a mini van, and you can always tint the windows! But it really has a special spot. Even going out with friends, load it up with 6 adults, lots of room, cup holders galore! So, it's just another option. Easy to get parts in expensively as there is no shortage of them. Things are a little cramped in the engine bay, but it is still fairly easy to work on yourself. But I wouldn't get rid of the truck. Get an engine for vx and I will show you how to install it! Lol

Talking Brady Bunch

I must be dense. Can't figger out where you're goin wit dat
    You have 3 kids she has 3 kids now all you need is Alice and Sam the butcher slipping her his meat.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    You have 3 kids she has 3 kids now all you need is Alice and Sam the butcher slipping her his meat.
    Wow. I was being dense. We usta get the 'Brady' comments alla time.

Those things hold their value so well, I do like them, but I would have to score a great deal on one to pop on it.

Its tempting...

Vans are what they are but also practical, cheaper than SUVs and usually are loaded with goodies.

My wife is pretty anti the van movement too.....I think in another 5 years she will give in. My friend just got an odyssey at the auction for a very good deal.

Iv been trying to read up on the Envoy XUV to see its reliability. I like the idea of it.

The Axiom is a pretty good value too but I see so many of them with engine and transmission problems. I checked out one with leather and sunroof an XS with 70k for $2000.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    John, at risk of being thrown off this forum, and being laughed at and mocked,I make the following suggestion cause you are a friend.... So here it goes

Have you considered the "mini van" alternative. I know, I know it sounds insane! But, having my 3 grandkids now, I take them every morning to school in the vx, and THEY love the vx. However, my truck is in repair since the wreck. My wife has a Pontiac Montana, and it's a good looking van, leather heated seats and mirrors, all kinds of room and options for sound equipment. We can easily haul 4 adults, and three kids in boosters and car seats and still have room in back for luggage ect. Extremely dependable, has traction control, the thing has ran and ran with hardly any serious issues, just routine maintanence and it keeps ticking. Gets pretty good gas mileage, is very comfortable to drive, get thru snow without issue. Power sliding doors on both sides. Is it as cool as the vx? No, not at all! Is it easy to load up 3 kids, and all their gear in a matter of a minute and a half when running behind? Yeah, it is! Yeah, you may need to build a fence to park it behind so no one knows you drive a mini van, and you can always tint the windows! But it really has a special spot. Even going out with friends, load it up with 6 adults, lots of room, cup holders galore! So, it's just another option. Easy to get parts in expensively as there is no shortage of them. Things are a little cramped in the engine bay, but it is still fairly easy to work on yourself. But I wouldn't get rid of the truck. Get an engine for vx and I will show you how to install it! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    My wife is pretty anti the van movement too.....
    If you want to talk your wife into a van, present the following scenario to her:

It's raining ... hard. You have to get the kids to school. Do you want your arse outside in the rain whilst buckling the little ankle biters into their seats or do you want it in the warm/dry van.

That's was the clincher whenever I wanted to get a conversion van for hauling the kids around years ago (back when they were still kids)