Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it time? Tell me its not.

Re: Saab 9-7x Aero...
    I replaced my VX with an '08 Aero and absolutely LOVE IT.
    Is it in the same "coolness class" as the VX? No. But the power is awesome and the gas mileage is a tad better than the VX. Also, with 2 kids the Saab is WAY more practical for me.
    I do miss the VX, but have also found the reliability of the LS2 to be awesome!

Sorry, just had to throw in my $.02.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    Re: Saab 9-7x Aero...
    I replaced my VX with an '08 Aero and absolutely LOVE IT.
    Is it in the same "coolness class" as the VX? No. But the power is awesome and the gas mileage is a tad better than the VX. Also, with 2 kids the Saab is WAY more practical for me.
    I do miss the VX, but have also found the reliability of the LS2 to be awesome!

Sorry, just had to throw in my $.02.
    i thought saab went out of business? they had the same 2 models of car for like 25 years

They did (in USA). But the 9-7x is basically a dressed up Chevy Trailblazer, with the Aero model being equiv. of the SS.
    So it's 95% GM with some Saab-specific trim.
    Parts availability is not an issue.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Saab is definitely still alive and is now owned by a new Swede start-up called Nevs; GM and Spyker have no interest remaining in Nevs Saab. It will be interesting to see where they go from here...they built some interesting cars.
    Vixer Fixer

I did look at the Saab as well - I love the 4.2 inline tho so was looking to stay away from the V8. The 4.2 still has lots of get up! It is rare to see the 9-7X which is a plus. However, I wanted to have the low range option (have not used it yet) & the TB has 2WD, part-time AWD, 4WD, 4-Low but the Saab is just AWD. Plus I only spent $5500 on the TB top-o-line LTZ with sunroof, heated power leather, & 5 cup holders! Haha
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

The 9-7x still has cup holder issues...lol
    One on the console and one on the dash that is a joke. Both are only suited for 12oz cans.

Parts are hard to come by? WHAT parts EXACTLY? Other than body parts, almost all "service items" are available - either brand new (aftermarket), used, or OEM. Sure, you might have to wait even a couple weeks to source them/get them; that's NO different than almost ANY 13 year old vehicle that's not a Chevrolet or a Ford!

Sorry, but mine has been my DD for going on 5 years/50K miles now; it's been THE most reliable vehicle of the 24 vehicles I've owned in my life by FAR! And every time I think about replacing it with another SUV and do a "door count" (with the exception of the Range Rover Evoque) I come up with FOUR; not TWO...

Now pardon me while I get in my Vehicross and drive it 120 miles today...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    that's NO different than almost ANY 13 year old vehicle that's not a Chevrolet or a Ford!
    ...or toyota, or nissan, or dodge, or bmw, or mercedes, or volkswagen, or jeep... lol

i can get parts and people to work on any of these no problem

however you try to sugar coat it, the vx is a black sheep

I have been struggling with all of this myself. I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. There is nothing else out there that interests me like my VX! I'm paying out the rear end for parts and labor to fix it, but how much is a car payment every month on a newer vehicle. I would say it evens itself out. I get so many compliments on mine and no one has a clue it's 13 years old, they think it's brand new. I would like to find a cheap DD so I can save some of my miles put on the VX.

Depending on the part, most things can be fabricated by most respectable shops. I'm not worried. Plus, I plan on only using this car for a DD a little longer. I am a real enthusiast for these vehicles and would not sell for any reason, but I understand there are people on here that are not. I spent two years looking for the perfect opportunity and right one. The small amount I could sell the car for is simply not even close to what it would be worth to sell for me. Its a collectible more than anything else. People should really not be buying this car as a reliable DD that they intend to remain this way for years. Its a second or third car to enjoy, stare at and drive occasionally.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Popped and burnt a serp belt last night while a good 45minutes away from home.

It started smoking and scared the wife pretty good since we had our son in the back.

Looked like an easy fix, bought a new belt and installed it...only to find the tensioner not spinning and it burnt the new belt. $30 for 1st belt, $30 for another new belt, $50 for tensioner, $100 !!!! FOR THE TOW HOME!

Still its tough to justify the sell even when it becomes more of a want than a need.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Just my $.02, from a previous VX owner;
    I regret it every single time I see a VX, but the other 359 days a year I'm really happy to have something more practical, roomier, cheaper to fix and put gas into(4 days for moab, and two occasional sightings).
    I traded for a 4Runner, which is obviously not the 'unique' vehicle you are looking for, its not what i was looking for either, but it was the right price (I made 3k selling my VX and put it into upgrades on the runner).
    Unique is fun, but unique is also very, very expensive.
    other trucks i would consider? well that depending on your budget, but here is my personal list, in no particular order.
    Jeep SRT8
    Infiniti FX50/45/35 (the 35 is rad because it has all the aftermarket support of the 350z engine so; superchargers, turbos, chips, intakes, exhausts, etc)
    Cadillac SRX
    Yota Tundra
    Ford edge eco-boost (sounds lame, but its got some serious get-up and a SWEET interior)
    Subie STI

I hope you can keep you VX, because I really do miss mine all the time, but its totally understandable if its a primary vehicle.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    other trucks i would consider? well that depending on your budget, but here is my personal list, in no particular order.
    Jeep SRT8
    Infiniti FX50/45/35 (the 35 is rad because it has all the aftermarket support of the 350z engine so; superchargers, turbos, chips, intakes, exhausts, etc)
    Cadillac SRX
    Yota Tundra
    Ford edge eco-boost (sounds lame, but its got some serious get-up and a SWEET interior)
    Subie STI

I hope you can keep you VX, because I really do miss mine all the time, but its totally understandable if its a primary vehicle.
    What... no Nissan Xterra PRO-4X? That is what I would get when/if I decide to sell my VX. Not nearly as unique as the VehiCROSS, but available with a manual trans. For driving fun, and a pretty good aftermarket too.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

I agree with the FX - thanks for the 35 info. That may help create the uniqueness i need. I told my wife I would be happy if we both had FXs.

I passed on the Cayenne Turbo - it DID have MILES at 140k but I know the buyer got it for $8200.

My newer idea is selling my firebird and just upgrading the summer fun car. Thinking XLR. And for whatever reason I still like the older Mercedes CLK pre 2004.

And NO I can not drive a econo car daily.