Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Crank case full of coolant

Front differential, thermostat, temp sensor and pipes replaced. Electric cooling fan kit is in, the fan itself seems to be working fine, but the sensor is a worthless 'glue onto radiator surface' job that never triggers. I've wired the fan to always-on for now, will get a proper in-tube cooling switch later.

New problems :
    1) ABS warning light is on; presumably a front sensor wiring issue, will check when I put the stripped/recoated US wheels on.
    2) surging / stalling idle plus temporary RPM drop on throttle up. I pulled a 'MAF system error' trouble code from the OBD2. Might just be dirty but I think it's safer to just replace it, I'll replace the pod filter and the fuel line filter while I'm at.

Old problems;
    3) Using the (JDM-only) 2 wheel drive mode is still causing a 'TOD module error' warning despite it mechanically working fine.
    4) 'D' bulb is burned out on the transmission mode display. I'll replace all the dash bulbs with LEDs at some point.

At David and Kat's suggestion, I've ordered a set of Rancho shocks, should improve the ride. I'm reluctant to remove the rear spring assisters though, as I do tow a 2 tonne trailer with the VX fairly regularly.

It was nice to meet you Michael I am sure the Rancho's will improve the ride immeasurably.

That electric fan kit is definitely doing the job, temperature is pegged at 40% of the scale and doesn't budge after hours of high speed driving. Of course this is winter in the UK, summer in Texas is a different matter. New fuel filter is in, new MAF sensor hasn't arrived yet but the underfueling issue seems to have gone away for now.

Rancho shocks are also in; I got the local garage to do that as I don't have a spring compressor. The VX is riding a lot more like a car now, albeit a car with sports suspension. My wife definitely likes it more now. Had to install the rear shocks upside down due to clearance issues though! The USDM tires have been stripped (of peeling chrome) and powercoated; I'll put them on this weekend and take some photos.

Good news; the Autogas (LPG) place say they can drill the Alpine supercharger manifold for propane injectors no problem, there's enough clearance to get them right next to the ports so no safety issues (single central injector based LPG systems tend to make superchargers explode). So I will be installing the supercharger kit as soon as I have time, then taking the VX back to the Autogas place to get the dual-fuel capability back. I've got two hood scoops with stainless inserts to go on as well, haven't had time to modify the spare hood inset to take them yet.

USDM vs JDM wheels.

The US wheels definitely look more contemporary.

Next things : fit supercharger, mount roof rack, replace rusted tow ball with alloy tow ball.

Very nice I like the wheels, I mentioned to Fabrice who is the guy who bought my VX and also has one he owned before buying mine that you may have some spares that he would be interested in.
    I've tried to search for him on the forum but so far can't find him, I'll pm him so that he can get in touch with you.