Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crank case full of coolant

Bought my second VX! Only 60k on the clock but looks a little distressed, also pickup may be tricky as I am in London and the car is in Iowa...

Have all the parts for a full engine rebuild, plan to combine US and JDM parts into a hybrid mutant is go. Will be glad to have a spare trans / transfer case / ToD controller as well.

Supercharger plan is sadly on hold for now due to funds and not being able to understand Russian instructions properly.

Glad you're getting what you need. Keep us posted on your re-build.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Car has finally been picked up from the salvage yard (in Iowa), took a while because of all the snow you guys are having. Will go to Houston and then across the Atlantic, should arrive in Felixstowe in three weeks or so.

WooHoo. Really glad your beastie is getting the upgrade.

Nice find!

BTW, most of us in US would have a problem with this pick up
    96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)

Picked up the wrecked USDM VX from Felixstowe port this week;

Will get the engine pulled out, rebuilt and swapped into my silver JDM car. I also want those US side markers, don't know why I like them but I do, and of course the leather seats. The rest will be broken for spares.

Must say I didn't appreciate just how much a mild lift improves the look of the VX until I saw this parked next to my silver JDM (which was already lifted when I bought it). Makes the car a bit more distinct than all the modern fake-4x4 crossovers.

Good luck with the swap.

The wheels look nice too

The engine swap and rebuild is finally complete, car is now running and passed MOT. Had to swap the transmission as well in the end, turns out the USDM engine has a slightly different bolt pattern than the bellhousing on the JDM engine. Kept my JDM transfer case as I wanted to keep the two wheel drive mode. I also replaced all the exterior lighting (other than the headlights) with LEDs - had to replace the blinker module as well to suppress the 'bulb fail' warning.

Next things to do;
    1) Re-gas the aircon
    2) Re-enable the LPG system
    3) Replace somewhat rusted exhaust with larger bore stainless one / twin exhaust tips
    4) Mount roof rack, replace lightbar with modern LED ones.
    5) Get those 18" USDM chrome wheels restored + new tyres, replace the JDM 16" wheels.
    6) Mount + wire up USDM side markers.
    7) Break the remains of the USDM car for useful parts.

Supercharger is currently dismounted because I haven't found a way to make it compatible with the LPG fuel system yet; still working on this. Looking at a three tone vinyl wrap (stainless upper / carbon fibre on the cladding / 'titanium' on the hood insert). Will eventually get to the interior and entertainment system.

The car has developed a fault post-swap, though it's more annoying than serious. In TOD mode the car starts and drives fine; 4L also works with no problems. However after a few minutes in 2WD mode the rear wheel LEDs blink and the 'check transmission' warning light blinks on the TOD panel. It doesn't seem to affect the transmission at all; the car stays in 2WD mode, the front wheel LEDs don't come on and the TOD clutch doesn't activate. My guess would be a microswitch or wire/contact on the transmission mode selector has failed and the TOD computer is incorrectly activating, even though the transmission is mechanically locked in 2WD-only mode.

Air-con now gassed and working properly. It turned out to be yet another difference between the JDM and USDM cars; the connectors (wiring loom to A/C pump) looked similar at first glance but actually weren't, the A/C guy had to cut and solder them. The VX is now down at the exhaust shop getting a custom stainless one welded up. I told them to be sure to reproduce the heatshield where the exhaust runs next the transfer case.

The new stainless exhaust on, 2 1/4" tubing with smooth joints (not stamped like the original Y piece), hi-flow sports cat and muffler. Sounds good and the engine seems to rev quicker; the welding guy said it was definitely flowing better. Went with the PowerFlow ANIMAL tip;

Alas some new problems;

1) The front differential is toast. Was making a really loud whine in TOD mode and making clicking noises on reverse (even in 2WD mode). Then it started juddering in reverse, then it locked up and refused to reverse at all. Unfortuantely while I was on a trip; I managed to limp home but it was making grinding noises by the end, I'm sure the internals are scrap. Fortunately should be easy to fix, I'll just swap in the spare from the crashed USDM VX I have. Will top off the rear LSD oil while I'm at it.

2) The engine is overheating on longer drives. For the engine rebuild I replaced the water pump but foolishly not the thermostat, will do that now. Also thinking of ditching the viscous coupling fan and putting in a couple of electric fans, might as well replace the radiator with a brand new one while I'm at it. I saw a guy on Ebay making custom shrouds for the VehiCROSS, would be convenient (assuming it covers the trans oil cooler properly as well), but he refuses to ship to the UK. Would anyone be willing to forward a parcel to the UK, would be happy to pay a reasonable fee?

After that I have a new alloy towball, stainless electrical socket bracket and some better LED fog lights to go on to make the back end look better.
    Last edited by Starglider : 08/31/2014 at 09:16 AM

Finally got that electric fan kit, plus a new thermostat, radiator, hoses, temp sensor. Hopefully that will solve the overheating. Next problem, the chrome plating on the 18" US car's wheels is peeling off, only slightly on the exterior but really badly on the inside of the wheel. Literally no one in the UK re-chromes alloy wheels; I tried about 10 different wheel refinishing and electroplating places, a couple did steel wheels for classic cars but that's it. Apparently chrome plated wheels only make sense in California, not the rainy UK. Finally found somewhere near Southampton that will chemically strip the wheels down to the alloy then chrome-effect powder coat them. I have this stuff on my DeLorean (engine block) and it seems to last much longer and look nearly as good as actual chrome anyway.

impressive progress.

You'll have one heck of beastie when you're done!!!

Radiator didn't fit. I'm planning to get one of those custom aluminium racing radiators from the US for Christmas, will stick with stock for now. New thermostat and electric fan kit are in. Changing the diff is proving to be a big job, the front suspension of both cars is completely in pieces at the moment.

David Wiltshire turned up on Sunday and took the front windows, motors and heater control module. Nice bloke, told me he was thinking of getting a Cayenne but would still keep the VX because he likes it so much. I'm going to store as much of the parts from the car as I can in my garage, including all the remaining glass, so if anyone else in the UK needs a VX-specific part hopefully I can help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    Finally got that electric fan kit, plus a new thermostat, radiator, hoses, temp sensor. Hopefully that will solve the overheating.
    I've been through 2-3 electric fan setups/configurations, thermostat, temp sensor, hoses and my truck still repeatedly overheated. Got a Ron Davis radiator, still overheated. The only thing that stopped the overheating was replacing the stock fan clutch w/another one. Works like a champ now.