Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use larger stainless cladding bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Ty, where did you order those?

From Fastenal. You can order and ship direct to store (or to your home for a little more $$). I labeled the pic itself with the part number for future reference.

Fastenal Part# 0171864

It's a Robertson Head, stainless 12x1" basically. I've searched and the best place to get the screws is Fastenal.

NOTE: I noticed that when I tried to screw them into some of the original grommets, that the grommets had deteriorated as they were the originals. Isuzu decided to use the most expensive type of grommet which comes with a small rubber seal around the plastic grommet so that it provides resistance to help keep it sturdy and to help protect the paint. I would suggest grabbing some new grommets as well, that is... if you notice they are loose OR the rubber around the base is deteriorated or gone.

There are many cheapies out there, but they won't have the rubber seal. These are an exact match to OEM except they are 2mm longer, which is better. Just google Auveco 21324 and you can find them online. They come in boxes of 15. Fastenal can order them, but they will likely be MORE expensive (maybe even double price).

I've shopped at both of these places and are very nice to go to for things like this. I've also used an eBay store (forgot the name) that also has this kind of grommet stuff...try these...

http://shopsite.hypermart.net/ss11.2...&Search.y=-363

http://www.thecliplink.com/auveco-ca...w-grommet.html
    ---------

Ty

Thanks for the info!

I need to replace my screws.
    And when UHaul put my hitch on they forgot to put the screws back under the rear door.

Quote Originally Posted by psychonectar View Post
    Any pics of these spike bolts on your vx?
    http://postimg.org/image/62lfdyqgn/

try zooming inn. You can see the spikes on this pic.

And when UHaul put my hitch on they forgot to put the screws back under the rear door.

Which ones? Where are they located?

When you open the rear door its the four bolts that screw into the cladding. You cant see them without the door open though.

When you open the rear door its the four bolts that screw into the cladding. You cant see them without the door open though.

Yes, 2 choices:

1.) Stock Replacement
    Description: Body Bolt
    Exact Description: M6-1.0 x 25 Phosphate 24mm Washer O.D. Hex Head SEMS Body Bolt
    Manufacturer: Auveco
    Auveco Part # 12066

I purchased mine from Fastenal but they can be found elsewhere.
    Fastenal Part # 0162791
    or click here
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...6searchMode%3D

These are ok and I did use them for most of the restore, HOWEVER the rear bolts, the exact ones you describe, I personally used stainless steel on those. I liked the way it looked AND it will never rust (which is likely due to their rear location).

2.) Stainless Steel Replacement
    In this case you need:

Stainless Body Bolts
    M6-1.0 x 25mm DIN 933 Class A2 Stainless Steel Cap Screw
    Fastenal Part# M82550025A20000
    or click here

Stainless Fender Washers
    Fastenal Part# 1171212
    1/4" x 1.000" 18-8 Stainless Steel Fender Washer
    or click here

You will also need 2-3 smaller washers for far left and far right bolts
    Fastenal Part# MW6380000A20000
    M8 DIN 125 Stainless Steel A2 Flat Washer
    or click here

NOTE
    You probably already know this, but in case someone else that's reading does not... I highly recommend using something like Anti Seize. I use it EVERY TIME that I screwed a bolt/screw into the frame of the VX. This is to protect and to ensure that rust won't develop in the threads or on the bolt/screw.
    I also purchased it at Fastenal but can be bought elsewhere.

Anti-Seize made by LocTite
    Fastenal Part# 62701
    or click here

I use the spiked license plate fasteners:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...hp?photo=22656

I have since added gloss nylon black toilet washers behind them (and painted the fasteners satin black)

It is subtle but I like the look. (I am going for a black on black look.)
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com

stainless part

Ty,
    What was the stainless screw part number at fastenal?

Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Ty,
    What was the stainless screw part number at fastenal?
    Which screw? Used for what? For the side cladding pieces?

Wink

Hi guys
    Here's a thread on what I did on mine.
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19287
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Hey wekilled. I have to say, I love how the anti-theft locks look on your VX. I found out that the Advance Auto store near me carries them in 4-packs. I'm just curious about the furniture inserts in your pic. So, will I need to purchase those furniture inserts in order to get the spiked license plate bolts to fasten into the vx frame as well? Did you have to take your cladding off the frame for this tiny upgrade, for any of this fastener swap business? Are the stock plastic fasteners behind the cladding to small or something? How about the smaller stock cladding bolt near the gas tank door, did you have any problem with the length of the spiked bolt there? Thanks man, I really appreciate your help with this- Mike

Here are the latest photos for mine. I raised the spikes with black nylon toilet washers and also satin painted all of the Bell license fasteners. (Sorry, I didn't bother to wash her before snapping a few photos). I sent you an email on how to do the spikes and where I got all the parts. Not really a functional mod but I like the look compared to the torx screws.

Hey Wekilled...

Do they actually HOLD the cladding on? Are you using double-sided tape as well? Is the cladding TIGHT up against the VX? They LOOK great, but just from the pics and knowing what they are made of, it appears they are not very strong and they will chip/corrode over time and have to be replaced occasionally.

I like the look, but for me personally, I went with the stainless Robertson Head screw because it will never have to be replaced or touched.

screws

Ty,
    I was talking about chrome screws to hold on cladding around vehicle.
    Fastenal part number?

Hey Wekilled...

Do they actually HOLD the cladding on? Are you using double-sided tape as well? Is the cladding TIGHT up against the VX? They LOOK great, but just from the pics and knowing what they are made of, it appears they are not very strong and they will chip/corrode over time and have to be replaced occasionally.

I like the look, but for me personally, I went with the stainless Robertson Head screw because it will never have to be replaced or touched.
    The fasteners wont chip. Corrosion is another issue and that is why I painted them. I found a decent powder coat place here so that is the ultimate goal. They are attached to the body stronger than with the cheap plastic inserts, the inserts I used are fine thread metal and the inserts are epoxied into the existing holes. The cladding is snug up against the body just like stock. It is an afternoons worth of work for nothing more than a cosmetic change (and expensive) with no real advantages--but it is part of the VX madness, and I like that nobody else (yet) has done this mod. I knew I wanted a spike of sorts, but nothing sharp and wanted to to look like it might have possibly come stock that way.