Thread: Backpacking backpack reviews

Backpacking backpack reviews

I am looking to get a new backpack, just wondering what others are using. I have been using a teton 4000 for the last 5 years or so. Good bag, but the stitching is starting to give and it isn't worth repairing. I am looking somewhere in the 65-90L range. That way it can double as a winter pack. I use a Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag with matching pad, coolmax liner. I have a nice Big Agnes Wyoming SL2 Trail tent, so I would like to get a nice bag to go with the nice sleeping bag and tent. I have been looking at Gregory and Deuters, just not sure if they are worth the $$$. My kids have Deuters, they are amazing bags! I just wish they had pockets on the waist belt, I like to keep small stuff in there, GPS, map, etc.
    Let me know what you think, or if you have a bag you want to get rid of, I would be up for that too! I would need a Large size bag.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Ruck sack!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Um, no thanks. I would prefer something that did not weigh 10lbs by itself and even more when its wet...lol. I would just use my load out bag if I wanted that.

Look at Osprey. Very very light weight but durable. Some models even have a moldable back support/pad to fit better to your back and help stop fatigue.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/category/mens
    Make it yours, but make it classy........ unless theres zombies.........thats when the gun rack goes in.

I ended up getting an Osprey Aether 60.

I really really liked the suspension on the Deuter, far better than the Osprey, but the Osprey has a no questions asked Lifetime warranty. Whether it is 5 days old, 5yrs or 50 yrs, they will repair it or replace it. Buckles, straps, tears, doesn't matter, they fix it. They were the same price,warranty sealed the deal. The Osprey also had the moldable waist belt pads. It would have taken an extra 20 minutes for them to mold them, but he said they will mold on their own as I wear it, so no worries. Very nice addition to the bag.
    I had narrowed it down to two models based on my wants. Had to have waist belt pockets. Had to have more than one access to the main pouch. Had to have attachment points on the top and bottom. And a convertible lid was optional. The Osprey and Deuter Aircontact series had all of those things. I think the Deuter was a higher quality build just by looking them over, but if this one fails, gets fixed for free!
    Thanks for the tip!

On a side note, she tried to show a garbage North Face pack. Cheaply made, cost as much as the others, and nothing special except the fancy iron on North Face badge. Can't believe anyone would actually buy one of those packs. The Gregory series were really nice, but twice the cost and they didn't have my size anyway.

I've had several packs over the years and I found that north face is cheap. So I switched to Osprey and haven't had even a hint of failure for 5 years. It's held up through some tough stuff. The one you got is an awesome pack, hope it holds up to what you are using it for. Plus the moldable belt helps keep the hips and back feeling great.

I found moldable shoulder belts as well, less than 20 bucks shipped. Looking at adding the crampon case for tent storage. Thanks again for the tip!
    I will be using it for packing in Shenandoah, lots of scout camping trips coming up. Probably carrying somewhere in the 35-40lb range. As the boys get older, they can carry more For now, they carry sleeping bag, pad, some clothes, and a portion of either the cook set, food, fuel or something of the like. My youngest is 7 but only weighs like 35lbs, so he can't carry much, but my pack mule older son (8) weighs around 70 lbs, time to start carrying his weight...