Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rotella Trials

Maybe, just maybe, the secret equation is 1 gallon T6 and 1 Quart Mystery Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, the secret equation is 1 gallon T6 and 1 Quart Mystery Marvel
    Or its just the 1 quart marvel mystery oil.

So how is Marvel different from Seafoam? I seem to remember a recommendation from someone (or maybe it's even on the Seamfoam package) to only add the detergent in the last X many miles before an oil change. Agree that you're cleaning the gunk if you put it in at the oil change, but where is that gunk going over the 3-5K miles between changes? Is it just clogging your oil filter that much faster?

Im changing the next couple at 1.5k.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Did you start using Rotella because of oil consumption?
    I didn't start because of extreme oil consumption but I had to check at every gas up. My friend has a rodeo and he recommended it. After the switch I definitely burn less. Another little trick I've started doing is about 100miles before an oil change I dump seafoam in and let it do it's thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So how is Marvel different from Seafoam? I seem to remember a recommendation from someone (or maybe it's even on the Seamfoam package) to only add the detergent in the last X many miles before an oil change. Agree that you're cleaning the gunk if you put it in at the oil change, but where is that gunk going over the 3-5K miles between changes? Is it just clogging your oil filter that much faster?
    If I recall you add the seafoam before an oil change because it slowly deteriorates your oils ability to lubricate parts. It helps lossen up deposits that would otherwise not move between your 3-5k mile oil change.

We use Marvel and Mobil1 continuously to curb oil use. Please make sure your EGR system is clean, also. It affects oil use if plugged.

Seafoam is basically a solvent...you don't want to run it very long with that in there.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I've read the same thing about using fuel system cleaners like the stuff from Chevron with Techron. You run something like that in the last tankful of gas before oil change time for the exact reason you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    I've read the same thing about using fuel system cleaners like the stuff from Chevron with Techron. You run something like that in the last tankful of gas before oil change time for the exact reason you stated.
    ....am I crazy...or just missing somthing. What does it matter if you add the fuel additive before or after an oil change? They dont mix.

im willing to try anything - quarts of marvel, cans of seafoam, nothing works on mine so far - and ive stuck with them for months

id say i use a gallon inbetween oil changes - disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    im willing to try anything - quarts of marvel, cans of seafoam, nothing works on mine so far - and ive stuck with them for months

Just out of curiosity, have you cleaned the EGR or replaced the pcv

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you cleaned the EGR or replaced the pcv
    i clean my pcv with carb cleaner every week or so - never took the egr off to look at it closely - how would i know if it was messed up and how might one go about cleaning that sucker?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    ....am I crazy...or just missing somthing. What does it matter if you add the fuel additive before or after an oil change? They dont mix.
    Because particles from deposits that get broken up or dissolved in your intake passages when using a fuel system cleaner can end up in your crankcase via blowby since that mixture ends up in the combustion chamber/engine cylinder.

You can obviously add a fuel additive whenever you want, it just makes more sense to do so in your last tank full of gas before an oil change so that any deposits that get broken up get later removed when the oil filter is changed, and better to remove those deposits at that time rather than leave them in the filter to contaminate new oil.

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post

Almost sounds like it'd be worth trying a method similar to an overnight soak in a parts bath. If Seafoam is basically kerosene, I wonder what would happen if a person drained the oil, removed all the spark plugs, and just filled the cylinders with kerosene to give the rings a chance to actually soak rather than just be subjected to a mixture of oil and Seafoam?

Or to take that even a step further, I have no idea how much kerosene would be necessary to achieve a fill level from the oil pan up high enough that all the rings in all the cylinders would actually be able to soak, or if that would even be enough since some parts still need to be scrubbed after an overnight soak, but if you're using a gallon of oil between changes, could it really make things any worse?

I'd add a disclaimer though that I've never looked at a VX motor straight on to even eyeball how high a piston at TDC in a cylinder would be in relation to the rest of the motor, to get an idea where that high a level of kerosene would take kerosene in the rest of the motor when the fluid leveled out, so that kind of soak might take kerosene to parts of an engine where it shouldn't be.