Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Case Replacement/Repair Options

Transfer Case Replacement/Repair Options

Hey all,

I'm the owner of a '98 Rodeo, 5-speed, and the potential owner of an '01 VX.

Now, the VX's transfer case I've been told was clicking, and the owner disconnected the front driveshaft to avoid further damage. Going on the assumption that I'm going to need to either rebuild or replace it, I'm hoping for some definitive answers for what my options are. Here's what I've gathered from searches:

Late-model Trooper equipped with TOD
    This seems like a direct replacement, with the caveat that the low range is something like 2:1 instead of 3:1. Not a deal breaker; would fit the bill until I could rebuild the one in it. Extra Question: Would it be possible to replace gearing from the original TC into the Trooper's (providing the gears aren't damaged)?

Rebuild Kit
    It seems that rebuild kits are non-existent, and the parts need to be individually cobbled together from various suppliers. I suppose opening it up and seeing what's actually damaged would mean I just need to find those parts?

Are there other options that I'm missing? How big of a job is it to pull the t-case on a VX?

Thanks for the help!

Yay another 2nd gen Rodeo owner!

Pulling the t-case is a lot easier then on your Rodeo, at least it can actually come off. I dont know much about TOD cases though so not much help on trouble shooting.
    --Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
    Yay another 2nd gen Rodeo owner!
    Hey Giz! Your posts have been invaluable over on the planetisuzoo forums since I've owned the Rodeo. Sadly, my old girl is on her last legs, the frame having seen a few too many New England winters, and my arms having seen too many welding slag burns from making repairs .

I hope the VX will serve me as well as the Rodeo. I know that I'll miss having the stick...I haven't owned a slushbox since my first car back in highschool. That being said, I'm eager to try out TOD in the snow!

Unhappy

Update!

Did a transmission flush and reconnected the front driveshaft. Badness ensues.

On the highway under acceleration I will occasionally hear a loud bang come from the transfer case. When this happens, the TOD lights for the front wheels light up at full torque for just a moment. I take this as being indicative that I have a chain that's hopping.

I have found zero information on parts needed for a chain replacement, and the workshop manual makes the job seem at least a little daunting. It appears the easiest solution at the moment will be to find a TOD t-case from a 98-05 Trooper.

Call my mechanic Sam at Espo's Auto 773-745-0600
    He should be able to give you information on part #s and sources. I had my transfer case rebuilt, and (though I am having an issue with the front wheels binding durring tight turns now) he was able to source all the needed bits & peices.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Awesome! I think I may have sourced a transfer case out of a Trooper at a local salvage yard, so that might do me well until I can rebuild.

Does anyone know how the 2hi option works out with the VX?

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Quote Originally Posted by jarruda View Post
    Awesome! I think I may have sourced a transfer case out of a Trooper at a local salvage yard, so that might do me well until I can rebuild.

Does anyone know how the 2hi option works out with the VX?
    I have been told that the Trooper and VX TOD/TC are different. They do have different part numbers but I'm not convinced that a Trooper TOD isn't a direct replacement for the VX. Specs are the same and both have a 2.48:1 ratio. The 2HI mode may be the key. On the Trooper there is a 4wd button and a vacuum controlled disconnect of the front axle (correct me if I'm wrong). There might be a 2HI position on the TC or it may just be the neutral between 4lo and TOD. The parts Trooper I had was a 5spd so it didn't have TOD but it did have the 4WD button and vacuum axle setup.
    I think the Trooper one will work but until someone does it we won't know for sure.

Scott
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Update:

Picked up the trooper t-case from the junkyard. I thought the Trooper TOD systems had a 2-Hi option, but unless it's an electronic switch and not part of the selector rod, this transfer case has the same Hi and 4-Lo positions as the VX.

I haven't checked if the connectors are a match yet. Perhaps later today if I get a moment.

http://imgur.com/Zuq1gQL

Well there she is. Going to attempt replacement in my driveway tomorrow morning. First time doing it; wish me luck.

Edit: link instead of image... anyone know how to adjust the display size on the forum?

Kinda late now, but wouldn't it be possible to swap in the MUA5 t-case from a 92-97 auto Trooper? Not sayin' it would be plug-n-play, you would have to modify the controls (stick vs. button) and dash lights etc., but it would be a very reliable t-case.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

The trooper TOD T case is the same as the VX. but the control box is not. just use your existing control box. The electrical connectors will plug right in. I put one in my car and it works just fine. the trooper gets its 2 high by disconnecting the drivers side front drive axle with a vacuum actuator operated by a switch on the dash. I found a new old stock T case on Ebay for under $500. look for 2000 to 2007 trooper LS TOD T case. used ones range from $120 to $500 many with free shipping.
    Twostep (Phil)

I picked up the Trooper TOD tcase for $130 at a junkyard including core charge (I might rebuild the one I'm replacing). Just got it installed yesteday!

Everything works, though it was fairly noisey at first, the second time I took it out it seems to have quieted down. In general there's a bit of noise & vibration when decelerating, but so far so good! Everything was just plug and play; control box didn't even come with the tcase.

Quote Originally Posted by twostep1n2 View Post
    ...the trooper gets its 2 high by disconnecting the drivers side front drive axle with a vacuum actuator operated by a switch on the dash.
    Is the vx's front axle permanently engaged or does the tod computer disengage it when under 15? I haven't looked for a vacuum actuator, but I imagine the Trooper's is similar to the Rodeo's shift the fly system.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    The VX axle and prop shaft though the LSD are permanently engaged. The power to the front is controlled by the TOD TC.

Hrrrm, I have the front axle from a 2nd gen Rodeo with shift on the fly... ugh, sounds like too much work for too little, though.

The new tcase in it and seems to be working fairly well.

I do have a couple of issues though - it still pulls pretty hard to the left, and I'm getting the TOD fighting problems that happen with mismatched tires. They're all the same size, but the rears are almost bald and the fronts are about middle-aged. Lots of fighting on the highway where the TOD will blip in and make the steering wander a bit.