Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Subaru XV Crosstrek

Subaru XV Crosstrek

So, considering trading in my '09 STi this weekend on a Crosstrek (better known as the XV). Heck, what a cooler thing to ask myself, "Do I want to drive the VX or the XV today?"

If I do go through with it, I surely will miss the STi. She is essentially light track ready with a tune, track suspension, complete aftermarket turboback, and just plain fast and fun (roughly 360hp now). But, after 70k miles commuting around the Capital Beltway with a manual 6spd tranny that is absolute torque, I need something easier and more comfortable. My left leg, which was rebuilt after a nasty accident years ago, is simply not getting better with old age, and that hard clutch is taking it's toll. I LOVE stick, but I think it's time to hang up that mantle.

The hardest thing will be the hp tradeoff. From 360 to roughly 170, and on an automatic CVT tranny (could opt for the 5spd manual, but that only comes in the lower end model, and again, there's that stick vs leg thing). However, the XV has some damned nice options, and for the price, I imagine all of them to be a good deal.

Already researched and been talking on an XV forum concerning "possibilities". Yes, there is a spring lift option. Yes, folks have scaled up their tire size on the CVT and been having success (not THAT big of course). And yes, I have some wild plans for a new project car.

So, from this....

To this....

Fingers crossed....
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Wormy,

Good luck wit da trade. Hope it works out for ya.

I recently switched back to a stick after 7 years of driving an automatic. I don't have the knee probs that you speak of but I'm kinda regretting the decision ... at times. I too love driving a stick but at times in the DC traffic, it's a royal pain. Yesterday it took me 2.5 hours to get home from work & a conservative estimate is that I pressed the clutch in approximately 1000 times. I was over 20 miles into my commute before I ever got into 5th gear.

IMHO - yer making the right choice.

BTW, love the rims on the XV pic you posted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I've had my eye on those.I love Subaru's DON"T want car payments though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

its like your switching from being a teenager to a grown up

I really like the new style wheels on those. I saw one the other day and it simply looks good. Good luck with your decision.

Bart

We're looking hard at the Crosstrek, Outback, or Mazda CX-5 as our next vehicle, assuming we don't go used to save some depreciation costs. Have you read about the hybrid Crosstrek though? Not terribly significant gains in MPG, but it does add 13 HP and 48 lb-ft of torque to make the performance more acceptable. There are other goodies as well, like better spring rates and steering ratios. Take a look at this article:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_first_drive/

So maybe wait a few months on the hybrid to appear before buying?

There's a diesel version already for sale in the Euro market, so maybe they'll bring that here too. Also crossing fingers for a turbo version...

With a modded (FBO + tune) '06 STi in the household and a 6 puck to go along w/it, I know what you mean about your left leg getting a workout *lol*.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    ?.. and a 6 puck to go along w/it...
    What is that?
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    My son just bought the CX-5 and loves it. My neighbor just bought the XV. It's much smaller than the Mazda and for my son's needs he made the right choice.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Pulled the trigger. Traded in the STi and rolled out in a '14 XV. !@#$ing night and day. No more launches. No more flatfoot shifts. No more teenage girls whistling at me. But it was well worth it.

Fully loaded, minus the upgraded security system and remote start. SO very comfortable! Subaru is finally taking the extra step to improve interior and it shows well with the XV. Nice leather, intuitive dash design, full touchscreen, quite a bit of steering wheel integration control, FINALLY insulate against road noise (HUGE plus!), etc etc.

Now of course, at roughly 150hp, it's hardly a work horse. On the CVT, traffic merging is painful. Very painful. Coming out of a tuned STi though, I am probably just spoiled. I will get used to that. They were calling for 2 days of snow this week, but it was called off this morning. Shame.... would have loved to have broken her in FAST, heh.

In all, I got a great deal. $20k on my trade in, all put down towards the $27.8 (haggled down from $29.5). A few more bells and whistles thrown in too.

Now.... let the check book come out, more research ensure, and the fun begin.

Congrats! What color did you get?

One comment my wife made was how much better the XV would look if it had cladding that came up higher on the doors, similar to the Outback (or VX of course). Given how reluctant Bushwhacker (was that the company name Gary?) was to make those flares for the Forester, it's hard to imagine anyone would make an aftermarket version. But I wonder if a good Line-X shop could do the doors up to the scallop line and have it match the existing plastic? Something to look into maybe.

For comparison:

XV:

Outback:

VX:
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 11/11/2013 at 07:27 AM

I got the Ice Silver Metallic. Wasn't my first choice, but seeing it in person sold me. A very deep silver with blue flake in it.

Agreed, some higher cladding type would be pretty slick. Not likely that I would Line-X it. I can live with what it is.

Sadly, someone at my work said it reminded them of the Aztek. I guess I can see "a little" resemblance, but not enough to agree. I may poison him at lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    So, considering trading in my '09 STi this weekend on a Crosstrek (better known as the XV). Heck, what a cooler thing to ask myself, "Do I want to drive the VX or the XV today?"

If I do go through with it, I surely will miss the STi. She is essentially light track ready with a tune, track suspension, complete aftermarket turboback, and just plain fast and fun (roughly 360hp now). But, after 70k miles commuting around the Capital Beltway with a manual 6spd tranny that is absolute torque, I need something easier and more comfortable. My left leg, which was rebuilt after a nasty accident years ago, is simply not getting better with old age, and that hard clutch is taking it's toll. I LOVE stick, but I think it's time to hang up that mantle.

The hardest thing will be the hp tradeoff. From 360 to roughly 170, and on an automatic CVT tranny (could opt for the 5spd manual, but that only comes in the lower end model, and again, there's that stick vs leg thing). However, the XV has some damned nice options, and for the price, I imagine all of them to be a good deal.

Already researched and been talking on an XV forum concerning "possibilities". Yes, there is a spring lift option. Yes, folks have scaled up their tire size on the CVT and been having success (not THAT big of course). And yes, I have some wild plans for a new project car.

So, from this....

To this....

Fingers crossed....

I was in the same boat when I bought my 2010 Kizashi, even though I preferred stick shift , but because of D.C traffic had to go with Auto, I at least have paddle shifter , does VX come with it?