Thread: 30" LED Lightbar Installed

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753

30" LED Lightbar Installed

I recently purchased a 30" LED lightbar from a fellow VXer here. Thanks "clipper 03 rodeo" !
    and I have finally completed the installation so I thought I'd share the results with you. I haven't taken any pictures of the light output but if you look though the gallery you can see other similar lights. Or you could just go outside and stare at the sun for a very close approximation.

I am running with a roof rack I bought online here:
    http://www.discountramps.com/roof-cargo-basket.htm

So I measured out the location for the light and drilled two holes through the lower front bar of the rack for the mounting brackets. I bolted the brackets into place using two stainless 1/4 20 bolts and nyloc nuts. I mounted the lightbar on these brackets and it held up OK but, I figured if I take this wheeling there would be too much weight and leverage for these to be a lasting solution. As luck would have it the width of the outside of the brackets lined up nicely with the upper rack bar and there is a bolted in crossmember at the top for the wind faring. I went off again to Lowes and bought a length of flat aluminum metal bar to use as a brace. I cut, drilled, and painted the aluminum braces and installed them with the lightbar. Success! Very stable now.

For the wiring, I had an old motorcycle trickle charger that I didn't need so I cut the cord off that since it has the SAE 12V battery connectors. This will allow me our anyone else in the future to remove this light and replace it with something else if desired.

Then I ran the wiring along the rack and down the rear OEM roof rack pillar and along the inside surface of the roof rail. I removed the wing, drilled a small hole, inserted wire and grommet, and fished the wire through the brake light hole in the roof. I reattached the wing and now have the wiring inside the cab.

I grounded the negative on a convenient lug near the antenna. I used the write-up in here for the electric accessory box:
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...ewarticle&id=6

But since I am only powering one accessory and didn't have the AC relay Moncha spec'd for now I wired it a little differently:

I really like the results. Although, I may use an old Yakama wind screen I have to create a smoked lens cover in the future. I would also like to find some good security bolts to replace the pivot bolts I'm currently using.
    Cheers,
    Scott
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Nice I think I might woire mine up like that
    whitebread

I have a similar install.

The only thing I would suggest is that you change the connection for the the quick connect to use a "weatherPack" connector. This prevents all moisture from getting at your wires.

http://www.weatherpack.com/