Thread: New exhaust

New exhaust

I have had a tick for 5 years now, Jerry diagnosed it as a leak in the passenger exhaust manifold. 5 years, hasn't changed, so I didn't worry about it.
    I tried to use my exhaust jack on my last wheeling trip, and I couldn't get enough pressure to lift the Trooper I was helping out. Too many leaks in my old rusty exhaust.
    Took it into a custom shop, running all new pipe, eliminating all of the flanges from the y-pipe back. Flowmaster 40 is about done for. Starting to rust through the center weld seam. My truck has not been in salt since I bought her, but the exhaust is completely toast. I am having them do both exhaust manifolds as well. I am going to order a pair of manifolds on ebay, send them in to Jet-hot and have them ceramic coated in red. This way, I will never worry about manifolds again!
    All said and done, with parts, new flex coupling, new muffler, manifolds coated, about $1050 or so. Seems crazy, but its a lot of rerouting the exhaust to clear the SFIFS, flange eliminations. The manifolds will cost me about 350 after coating. He is also cutting some tubing to fit so that I can 'delete' the Cat if I so desire. As a shop, he cannot do that, but it was cheaper for me to get an entire stick of tubing and there is enough left for him to cut and weld flanges on that will just happen to fit in there.
    I am worried that I will lose my distinctive sound, but it needs to be done

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Sounds ambitious but done right to last. I'm sure you'll have a new exhaust note to own.

Sounds pretty trick. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. Keep us posted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Just curious if you are going with the flowmaster 40 again?

Also would love to see pics of the manifolds! I have a passenger side leak and need to replace mine as well.

I am going with the flowmaster 40 clone, flowmaster lost their patent a few years ago. Haven't changed their design for a long time. I have the same clone on the Trooper, had it on my F150 as well. Sounds pretty much the same and its is barely half the price.

I ordered the manifolds today, should be here next week and I will send them in to get coated. I will post some pics when I get them back.

Interesting. I myself am in the market for new exhaust. Thinking of going straight pipe, no muffler.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Before I take the VX in, I will make some sound cuts of with the flowmaster still on, and with it straight piped. That should give you a decent idea of what to expect.

I have a Magnaflow dual exhaust. I love the sound but it is too loud. I can never get on it without worrying about getting a ticket. It helps my gas mileage but hurts the fun factor by not using the full power.
    Mike