Thread: So another Dumb thing.

So another Dumb thing.

Got out of the car to move the motorcycle before backing into the garage last night. Had just stopped for fuel and instead of putting the spare keys in my pocket I dropped them on the passenger seat. Hopped out of the car, moved the motorcycle headed back to hop in the VX and back in NO THE DOORS ARE LOCKED. Car is running, I can see the spare keys in the passenger seat what the ____ am I going to do. Used to have a Slim Jim and did some AAA Road Service work in my youth, but no thin metal right now. Picked a wire hanger out of the closet, Thankfully I had to open the garage door before getting out. Tried the passenger side (better lighting) no luck. Finally was able to pry the top of the door out a bit sneak the hanger in just the right place and snagged the lock button. Had played the lotto (work pool.)yesterday and was hoping I'd get a call this morning that we had won, guess all the good karma went to the lock button and didn't carry further. Now the key's always go in the pocket.

Rod

Locked myself out of one of my vehicles once, and after AAA got me back in, I went right to a store to have spare doors keys made for each of my two vehicles and just stuck them in my wallet.

Has anyone ever researched whether there's a way to incorporate The Clapper into a rear hatch popper system? That might be something else to consider as a backup to spare keys.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Been there too...

First year in Moab...NEWBIE!!...
    So we all go to get sammiches etc...then off to trail.

I lock myself out of the ORW in the grocery store lot..spare keys in glove box!
    15 VX's waiting for me!!

Knew it was a great crowd right away..when they waited!!

Locksmith saved me..and thought I was very odd when I hugged him.

Now..a home made, well hidden " hide-a-key " is always available

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've never (knock on wood) done this, but my daughter called me one day to report that she had hopped out of the Mustang at the stop sign in front of our house to install the radio antenna. Locked out and blocking traffic. I knew there was no spare key anywhere, and the engine was running, so I had her break out the quarter window on the passenger side. The glass company told me that was probably the most expensive and hardest glass to replace. D'OH!!!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    I've done it too, with my dog locked inside. It's easy to do with that damn auto lock function too. Slim jim got me in but I did have to fix the plastic lock clip inside the door afterwards. If I had a smarter dog maybe it would have been easier.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

I just use a rare earth magnet and stick it and a spare key up under the car somewhere. Good thieves know it's a bit common to do this but if you're not lazy with the placement, they are never going to find it. Doesn't even need to be on the underside.