Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: General Grabber Off Road?

General Grabber Off Road?

I know tires have been covered, and checked the search. Didn't see any info on the Grabber Off Road.
    Anyone have any experience running these on a VX? Have seen them on multiple lifted trucks here in Cali. ( that don't see slick of dirt) all show.
    But they do look aggressive and my tires are getting to that point.

I had Baja Claws on my old 01 F150 lifted 6" good in dirt,offroad,mud,snow. Terrible in rain.
    Here's some on a truck I saw at a shop.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I dont have first hand knowledge of the Grabbers...

But...if its aggresive, with good general driving characteristics youre looking for...

...I'd say the Nitto Grappler range is worth looking at.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Grabbers definately hook up offroad. I have seen them in action on the rocks in competition. Don't know about their longevity first hand though.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thanks for the heads up. I will check out the Nitto's.
    As far as longevity I am sure with that aggressive tread it won't last long on the road. Found that out with the Baja Claws. Didn't last long on the road/ excellent off road.

I have a set of the Grabber AT2's on my VX in 275/65R18-116S (32" O.D. @ 44 lbs each). I've had them off-road in dirt and in extreme snow-n-ice here in Washington State. They are Snowflake/Mountain rated and stick like velcro to whatever terrain surface you're on. I've already put over 40,000 highway miles on my set and they still look like brand new showing no visible wear. They are extremely quiet on the highway for having such an aggressive tread. The best thing about the Grabber AT2 is their "self-cleaning" tread design, which will instantly fling-out any mud, snow, or rocks/pebbles/gravel caught within the tread lugs within a few revolutions of the tire. IMHO, they are hands-down the absolute best A/T tire available on the market today and can equally hold their own against radical Mud-Terrain tires in off-road situations.

Another VX.Info member with extensive off-road use with the Grabber AT2 is "MARLIN" who has pushed the Grabber AT2 to its maximum limits in a wide variety of situations including MOAB rock-climbing and in deep gumbo mud in the lower southern states of the USA with outstanding success. MARLIN can attest to the superior traction of the Grabber AT2.

Here are just a few standard features of the Grabber AT2:

o Snowflake/Mountain rated (a rare distinction for an A/T tire).
    o Factory pre-pinned (holes) for winter stud installation.
    o Wide variety of sizes available.
    o Lighter individual weight (low unsprung weight) than a competitor tire in the same exact size.
    o Cost cheaper in price than a competitor tire in the same exact size.

Once you install a set of the Grabber AT2 on your vehicle and experience the velcro-like traction, you will never consider another make/model of any A/T tire ever again.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...at2-tire-test/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...ber-tire-test/

Last edited by Riff Raff : 08/12/2013 at 01:20 AM Reason: added Four-Wheeler Magazine tire test "link"

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    I have a set of the Grabber AT2's on my VX in 275/65R18-116S (32" O.D. @ 44 lbs each). I've had them off-road in dirt and in extreme snow-n-ice here in Washington State. They are Snowflake/Mountain rated and stick like velcro to whatever terrain surface you're on. I've already put over 40,000 highway miles on my set and they still look like brand new showing no visible wear. They are extremely quiet on the highway for having such an aggressive tread. The best thing about the Grabber AT2 is their "self-cleaning" tread design, which will instantly fling-out any mud, snow, or rocks/pebbles/gravel caught within the tread lugs within a few revolutions of the tire. IMHO, they are hands-down the absolute best A/T tire available on the market today and can equally hold their own against radical Mud-Terrain tires in off-road situations.

Another VX.Info member with extensive off-road use with the Grabber AT2 is "MARLIN" who has pushed the Grabber AT2 to its maximum limits in a wide variety of situations including MOAB rock-climbing and in deep gumbo mud in the lower southern states of the USA with outstanding success. MARLIN can attest to the superior traction of the Grabber AT2.

Here are just a few standard features of the Grabber AT2:

o Snowflake/Mountain rated (a rare distinction for an A/T tire).
    o Factory pre-pinned (holes) for winter stud installation.
    o Wide variety of sizes available.
    o Lighter individual weight (low unsprung weight) than a competitor tire in the same exact size.
    o Cost cheaper in price than a competitor tire in the same exact size.

Once you install a set of the Grabber AT2 on your vehicle and experience the velcro-like traction, you will never consider another make/model of any A/T tire ever again.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...at2-tire-test/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...ber-tire-test/

Although a "Little Late" for a reply here, I wanted to report the pros on the Grabber AT2's -Light weight - I guess since after like 5+ years having them on AND it's my Daily Driver I haven't had any bearings, brake or other sprung weight issues. Also they have shown like zero tread wear with over 30K on 'em. Amazing.
    Cons: They are cracking/dryrotting, they look kind of "too huge/tall" for the vx, I have the 285/75/18's. They made mpg a lot worse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Late reply...

I have a set of General Grabbers with the red letter sidewall on my Devil and I must say that while they are excellent in dry offroad conditions and maybe even a little mud, they're horrible in anything wet. I live in CT and with all the rain and snow, I was all over the road. Not a very safe option if you're using them for on road driving unless you live in Arizona or somewhere fairly arid. Never been on sand with them though, wonder how they perform.. The AT2 would be a much better road option, but offroad it doesn't hold a candle to the GGs.

Something to think about.
    "The Marines have landed and the situation is well in hand."

Thanks for the heads up.
    On the Grabber AT2 u said 285/75/18. Are your trucks lifted at all
    Or any trimming done?

Considering the Grabbers when I lift my Crosstrek and get my 15" rally wheels.

I have researched the crap out of them and typically the only not-so-positive feedback was swift wear. Sounds like folks who do a lot of paved-road use though. Expected with a A/T.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I have the Grabber AT2's. They look AWESOME and seem to have really nice grip. My only worry is when airing them down to 20-25 lbs for off-roading. Man, they look so flat that I always wonder if they are going to "roll off" they wheel if give them too much stress. It may be a complete, newbie, irrational worry, but it still concerns me when I see others air down to 15-20 lbs and their tires (especially the Nittos) don't look any different due to the stiffer sidewalls.

Digging the color and graphics on your cross trek!
    Hey RickOKC is your VX stock and what size are u running your tire?
    I have yet to raise mine.

Quote Originally Posted by djvx View Post
    Although a "Little Late" for a reply here, I wanted to report the pros on the Grabber AT2's -Light weight - I guess since after like 5+ years having them on AND it's my Daily Driver I haven't had any bearings, brake or other sprung weight issues. Also they have shown like zero tread wear with over 30K on 'em. Amazing.
    Cons: They are cracking/dryrotting, they look kind of "too huge/tall" for the vx, I have the 285/75/18's. They made mpg a lot worse.

DJVX-- I believe your quoted tire size of 285/75R18 is a "typo", and it is not listed on the Tire Rack website. IIRC, you have the exact same size/model as me; 275/65R18-116S (32" OD/44 lbs).

I installed my Grabber AT2's in 2008 and they still look brand new with zero signs of tread wear, and show absolutely no signs of cracking/dryrot-- perhaps because my VX is a garage queen and my tires are only exposed to the weather and Sun UV rays when I'm actually driving it. Otherwise it's parked in a cool, dark, garage bay.

If your VX is always parked outside and continously exposed to the harsh elements of the weather and especially the harmful effects of the Sun's UV rays, then; yes, that would explain the cracking/dryrot (which any other tire would experience, regardless of brand/model).

Yes, the 275/65R18 size is a tad bit "tall" looking tire and it is the reason it gives you 1.25" ground clearance over the stock size while fitting comfortably on the stock 7" wide rim. It also helps fill-up the huge ugly gaps in the wheelwells of the VX with pure tire (which I like).

For a wider stout look, consider the 285/60R18 (31.2" OD). This is a brand new size that just became available in the Grabber AT2; while it won't give you much greater ground clearance over stock, it will give you a wider aggressive looking stance appearance and it will still fit on the OEM 18x7 rim.

Regarding tire pressure, I always keep my Grabber AT2's pumped-up to the "Maximum PSI Per Tire Sidewall Label". The incredible velcro-like traction of the Grabber AT2 negates any need whatsoever to lower the PSI for various off-road conditions (so don't lower the PSI when using the Grabber AT2; it will make no difference in traction).

I started with AT2s in the P-metric range. Ran Uwharrie once, Moab once, no problems. Nice, quiet, great handling, not the best in mud, but they are ATs. 2nd trip to Uwharrie, ripped the sidewall out of one, they are paper thin, hence the light weight. FOr DD and looks, they are great, but don't plan on any trail protection. At that point, I ordered the Kevlars, (4.5 years ago...) and they are at about 50% tread. Look like garbage, white wall peeling, some lugs ripped, but they handle well, rain, snow, mud, pavement, but they are HEAVY. THe sidewall is so thick it is tough to mount the tire.

Bottom line, Riff is right, they are a great tire with not a huge dent in mpg as compared to a true MT, but if you are gonna do some serious wheeling beyond dirt roads or Moab, its gonna take a heavier tire than the P-metric. Perhaps the regular tire would work better, that red letter sure is sexy.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

PS-the spare on my roof is still one of those original tires, no cracking or dry rot The rest of the set with a few new ones were traded in with my F150.

Quote Originally Posted by VehiCrow View Post
    Digging the color and graphics on your cross trek!
    Hey RickOKC is your VX stock and what size are u running your tire?
    I have yet to raise mine.
    I have 275/65-R18. I did the torsion bar crank and raised the nose about 1" just to give it a more level look. Other than that - stock. With these tires I had to trim the cladding in front and hammer in the bolt in the back of the wheel well.