Thread: Shock Extenders or Rancho 9000's?

Shock Extenders or Rancho 9000's?

As mentioned in my last post, I just leveled the VX.
    Of course, the ride is more harsh now due to stiffened torsion bars and stretched shocks.
    Most "leveling kits" include shock extenders to keep the same shock absorber travel in order to keep the "stock" ride.
    I did a search on the site and saw that member "Tone" once offered a "shock extender" for the VX, but the link to his fabrication pics was not working.
    Anyone know if a front shock extender is available?
    Or, are the Rancho 9000 shocks longer than the oem shocks?
    Just trying to get the ride back as close to stock as possible.
    Thanks for any input.
    GPA

Putting the Rancho 9000s on seems to be the most recommended solution since they are adjustable. I went with OME shocks that are not adjustable and love them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Putting the Rancho 9000s on seems to be the most recommended solution since they are adjustable. I went with OME shocks that are not adjustable and love them.
    Did some more searching, and it appears that I don't really need longer shocks with only a torsion bar crank.
    I will order the Rancho 9000's because they are adjustable.
    That way, I can play with the ride quality.
    Thanks tom4bren!
    GPA

:: Hey Tom ~ my original shocks (at 80k) are jawbreakers when i go over train tracks so i know they need to be replaced ~ i'm considering having them rebuilt ~ i luv a taunt sports-car like ride but don't like grimacing over potholes, rail tracks and such...

from the last vx-meet, here at my shop, i had the opportunity to ride in a couple of vx's to feel the Rancho 9000's over the tracks and loved that they didn't have to slow down to 15mph like i do (they didn't slow down at all which was awesome) but not sure if they are as taut as the original shocks in the curves even at the stiffest setting ~ i plan to upgrade to 20"/33's on 913 springs and want to keep it taut ~ problem is i have nothing to compare new OME shocks to new Rancho 9000s to make a decision ~ any info on comparisons & differences?

and one more thing it seems the OME springs and the 913's are the same height so because they seem thicker are the 913's just stiffer? ::
    Last edited by vxodus : 08/07/2013 at 09:07 PM
    lex

Hi GPA,

I also have the Rancho 9000s. And... I also have the MyRide system which allows me to adjust the stiffness of the shocks via remote control as I drive. MyRide is a complete piece of crap (and now discontinued), but it did give me the opportunity to easily drive around experiencing ALL settings for the last couple years.

Just be aware that these don't level the VX or change the height, it just make the shocks stiffer or softer.

Even at the stiffest setting, the Ranchos are softer and more comfortable than the stock shock. You can also adjust them down to the "squishiest" setting that is so soft that I describe it as like riding in a 1972 Cadillac with 900,000 miles riding on the original, worn out shocks. (Keep a barf bag handy so you don't get "sea sick!") LOL

My next project is to remove the pneumatic, remote control MyRide system and converting them back to manual set. It's a bummer that it didn't work out, but I still like the shocks. I typically ride around on 9/9 front/back but 6/6 seems just right for me when going off-road.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Hi GPA,

Just be aware that these don't level the VX or change the height, it just make the shocks stiffer or softer.

Even at the stiffest setting, the Ranchos are softer and more comfortable than the stock shock. You can also adjust them down to the "squishiest" setting that is so soft that I describe it as like riding in a 1972 Cadillac with 900,000 miles riding on the original, worn out shocks. (Keep a barf bag handy so you don't get "sea sick!") LOL
    Thanks RickOKC.
    I have accomplished the ride height I desire with the Torsion Bar Crank.
    All I am looking for is some shocks that will provide a smoother ride, which it sounds like I will find with the Rancho 9000's.
    Don't believe I want the "Cadillac" ride, but will be nice to have it as an option!
    I will try the Ranchos and provide feedback after they are installed.
    GPA

Quote Originally Posted by vxodus View Post
    ... any info on comparisons & differences?

Sorry, no. I've never driven one with Rancho's. All I know is that the OME were the perfect choice for me. Stiff enough to handle the 33x12.50's without breaking a sweat & comfortable ride quality. I think they were designed specifically by OME for Troopers with lift & large tires. The setup I replaced was OEM front & Rancho's on the rear ... & all 4 corners needed replacing.

and one more thing it seems the OME springs and the 913's are the same height so because they seem thicker are the 913's just stiffer? ::

Sorry, can't say. I'm running CalMini springs (which I do not recommend). They appear to be sagging. Eventually I'll be changing over to 913's but it'll hafta wait till I can squirrel away enough for HD torsion bars & drag links at the same time.

My rodeo is a bit heavier and long wheel base but I normally ran 4 front and 3 rear on road with ranchos. Now that I have ARB bumper and winch in front I keep it at 6. I used to bump the rear way up off road but now with 919s (plan to build a rear steel bumper at some point) I only bump it up to 4 off road.

This is why I dont recommend shock extenders.
    --Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
    My rodeo is a bit heavier and long wheel base but I normally ran 4 front and 3 rear on road with ranchos. Now that I have ARB bumper and winch in front I keep it at 6. I used to bump the rear way up off road but now with 919s (plan to build a rear steel bumper at some point) I only bump it up to 4 off road.
    Thanks for the input.
    I ordered the Rancho 9000's.
    Will install next week, play with the settings, and report back on the results.
    Today I installed R1 Slotted Rotors (Front and Rear), Apex Stainless Brake Lines (Front and Rear), EBC Ceramic Brake Pads, and new Bearings & Seals on the front hubs.
    Next week will be the Ranchos, Idler Pulley, Tensioner, and Serpentine Belt.
    GPA

I also have adjustable rancho shocks I'm not happy at all with them. yes they are lifetime warranty but I'm on my 5th pair

Quote Originally Posted by zadam123 View Post
    I also have adjustable rancho shocks I'm not happy at all with them. yes they are lifetime warranty but I'm on my 5th pair
    Wow! 5th pair? (5th pair in how many years? months?) That's kinda scary!
    Do you do a lot of off-roading? Travel on substandard roads?

I drove my VX today for a good while, and I must say that the stock shocks actually feel pretty darn good! Now I'm sort of wondering why I ordered the Ranchos!

Anyway...I will install the Ranchos.....if I don't like em.....put my stockers back on!

GPA

Dont know what people are doing to their shocks. I replaced my front ranchos after 2-3 years because I destroyed one (hit a ledge in moab at way too high of speed) but the replacements have been fine for the last 4-5 years. Rears I replaced last year (6 years on them) because one started leaking. They were the older non gas charged ones. I do a LOT of off roading too. Stock shocks were completely gone when I bought it in '05 and its a '99.

Quote Originally Posted by GPA View Post
    Anyway...I will install the Ranchos.....if I don't like em.....put my stockers back on!

GPA
    Be careful removing your stockers. I snapped the top bolt off my right front shock when I replaced mine. Unfortunately, it was one of the "good" ones. FWIW, I've had my Ranchos RS9000X shocks since March 2005, with no problems.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379