Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Running hot?

Running hot?

Long post coming. I need to explain what's going on, so please be patient. Well, as some of you may have noticed, it's been twelve thousand and six degrees here in the Northeast every day essentially since Summer started in June. And my VX has not been happy. When the ambient temperature has been over 95 (once again, pretty much every day) the temp gauge has steadily crept up and rested gently against the H line.

At first I thought, oh it's a little low on oil. Which it was -- because we all know how that game works, right? Look at the VX wrong and it drinks a quart of oil.

After religiously keeping the oil topped off I saw that it was still running way too close to H. Next, I thought that perhaps my cooling system had a malfunction. So I checked the radiator (brand new) coolant (perfect and full) thermostat (perfect & nearly new) etc. I even bought a new radiator cap thinking that maybe it was something as minor as that. The engine compression is perfect on all 6. Exhaust system is essentially brand new. But day after day, especially under load, my poor VX was running hotter than it should and sometimes right at the H line.

So this evening I thought, well maybe the engine just isn't getting enough "relatively" cool air being vented into the engine bay. So I did a little experiment where I cracked the hood and drove it for a couple of hours, in the same heat, and under the same conditions, just to see if there was any difference. Surprise surprise! Doing this one thing resulted in a HUGE difference. Now the temp gauge is on the low end of the dial and it doesn't seem to mind being under load with the A/C blasting, going up a hill, etc.

So you begin to comprehend where this post is leading. Assuming that what I've just observed is valid and my engine simply needs more cool air vented to the engine bay, what are the most sensible options? Obviously, I can't run around with my engine lid cracked open, as this might not work out so well if I'm driving 65 mph down the highway and it decides to fly up at an inopportune moment. I don't want to cut holes in my OEM hood. Ideally, I want to find a way to direct cooler air into the engine bay, perhaps by routing hosing from the grill or wheel wells.

I appreciate your patience in reading this diatribe. My VX and I will also be sincerely grateful for any suggestions.

Sounds like a bad fan clutch

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Another thing to check is the a/c compressor bearing. If it's failed, it will create much more drag than usual.
    I bypassed my compressor and now it runs better, stays cool, and bumped the gas mileage up.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Also if all else fails check your transmission fluid level. Low fluid will cause tranny to run hot which in turn causes the engine to run hot since the trans cooler is built into the radiator.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I started to develop that same pattern of overheating.
    New thermostat, no change.
    Decided to go with a larger all aluminum custom radiator. Greatly improved, but didn't solve.
    Had read that several owners had recently had the fan clutch go and once replaced, all overheating resolved.
    So I replaced fan clutch, which Isuzu had redesigned, and now requires a new fan blade too….TOTALLY RESOLVED ISSUE, TOTALLY!!
    So like etlsport said - sounds like might be fan clutch.

There were several threads and lots of discussion on the topic over the last 18 months:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ting+ron+davis

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

After the engine reaches normal operating temp, the intake is supposed to switch from pulling air from the warm engine compartment to pulling it from the cool wheel well.

Maybe the damper on your intake is blocked or perhaps your cold air intake is clogged. Pull out your airfilter (& replace if dirty) and check around in the airbox to make sure all is well in there.

On the other hand, maybe it's time to consider installing a snorkle kit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

mine runs warm too.
    but only under load like towing or running AC.
    after it got up to temp I turned off the motor. like lots of threads on here tell you to do. and I checked the fan clutch. spins as free as a bird. I am sure that is the issue.
    there are several on ebay for $35. I will be going that route and reporting back.

These are all EXCELLENT suggestions. And I am reminded again what a terrific group of folks you guys are. I will follow each suggestion --with the exception of the snorkel kit and report back to you. I do have to confess something though. Every time a frustrating situation like this crops up, I am tempted to sell my VX and get into a nice low mile Hummer H3. Some of those look very cool, especially with a lift kit and mudders. But I can't do that. Because my five year old little boy has fallen in love with our VX and has gone so far as to name it. He calls it Monsty the Monster Truck. And when we discuss the VX he doesn't refer to the truck as "it". My son says, please Daddy, let's not sell "him". So how can I? I can't. So I have to figure out how to solve this for my little boy and for Monsty.

An auxiliary pusher electric fan mounted in front of the radiator may be a good option to get Monsty back in business. IIRC people were getting ones for a Voyager from a boneyard a few years back that had a temp sensor & everything.

Quote Originally Posted by longiotti View Post
    mine runs warm too.
    but only under load like towing or running AC.
    after it got up to temp I turned off the motor. like lots of threads on here tell you to do. and I checked the fan clutch. spins as free as a bird. I am sure that is the issue.
    there are several on ebay for $35. I will be going that route and reporting back.
    IMO, I'd go with an OEM only! VXorado tried a few aftermarket ones and they didn't correct the problem, bought an OEM and it was fixed. His comments are in one of those threads I posted.

edit- here I found it:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...9&postcount=32
    Last edited by VX KAT : 07/19/2013 at 12:20 PM

I experienced the same thing as you, and I'm in Texas. For me only starts overheating when the A/C is turned on either of the last 2 marks (high and super high, I call them). I've replaced the thermostat, radiator, radiator cap, run Water Wetter, put a fan in *front* of the radiator (along w/the the Voyager fan), pulled that entire setup out and put the high flow VX radiator fan and shroud on, completely removed the hood as well.....no results. Only thing I haven't done is the fan clutch, which I'll be doing as I swap out the drive train.

here is the secondary fan i put on the front of my radiator. I use it in traffic but truthfully dont need it after I replaced my fan and fan clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    here is the secondary fan i put on the front of my radiator. I use it in traffic but truthfully dont need it after I replaced my fan and fan clutch.

Tried that, too. Didn't work *lol*. All the fans were rigged to come on all the time, too.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Holy crap etlsport, that VX has never seen salt has it?! I loves myself a rust-free VX...Sorry for the
    Vixer Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    IMO, I'd go with an OEM only! VXorado tried a few aftermarket ones and they didn't correct the problem, bought an OEM and it was fixed. His comments are in one of those threads I posted.

edit- here I found it:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...9&postcount=32
    yeah I already ordered it. should be here in a couple days. my question is why run a fan cluctch? we all know they run a cluch from the factory so that it warms up quicker and to help free up some HP. there are many kits out there to convert other vehicles, toyotas, chevy's etc to non clutch fan. seems like eliminating it would be nice.