Thread: Only change rear suspension???

Unhappy Only change rear suspension???

With a little Dutchman on the way I`m desperately looking for solutions to be able to keep my car..
    The missus pointed out some shortcomings of my beloved vehicle, when it comes to carrying a child.
    Her biggest protest was the bumping when you`re sitting in the back. Since I really like this suspension, I was wondering if it would be possible to hold on to the front ones and only replace the rear with softer suspension? I can`t have a kid flying in the car, or waking up everytime I hit a small bumb in the road....
    There`s no option for a second car, since parking place almost equals one month rent, in the US.
    Sincerely,
    Big Dutchman (well especially now after I quit smoking )

Hi Dutchie,
    As they get older they like the ride, well at least my eight year old daughter does. I metioned in my last post to Ameetw that I had been trying different pressures with my tyres and I think it may be worth considering lowering the tyre pressure carefully. I have found significant variations in the ride on standard sized 16 inch wheels by lowering the pressure just a few pounds. It may be the case that you may have to invest in a good electric tyre pump to up the pressure for lone high speed use.

Dutchie if it helps any I have a one year old that has spent most of her time in the back of the VX and she sleeps with out waking up and never complains at all. I have had the VX since last August and I was afraid as well but its all worked out. Now I do have another one on the way so it will be interesting to see how I'm going to put 2 baby seats in threw the back hatch.... LOL I still like it but I wish the back seat was a littler easier to get to for children and passengers but I guess that is part of what makes it unique.

Good Luck and congrats on the little one on the way, they sure do give your life a new meaning.
    ~LOCO~

Re: Only change rear suspension???

Originally posted by dutchie
    , I was wondering if it would be possible to hold on to the front ones and only replace the rear with softer suspension? Sincerely,
    Big Dutchman (well especially now after I quit smoking )
    Replace rear springs with OME 912 springs & cut the Triangular portion of rear bumper stops off.

Dragon Bob;pg;
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Do not mix shocks, you'll upset the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Could create a dangerous condition.

Everybody using the adjustable Rancho 9000 shocks seems to like them.

As for the seats, whatever happened to the extension brackets Tone was fabbing?

Change the shocks to the adjustable Ranch 9000 and you will enjoy both worlds. Soft ride when your kid is onboard and a stiffer ride when it's just you...Cost is ~ $400 + installation

hey Serge...

First off, like to extend my congrats to you and your wife for your upcoming birth of a child. Real exciting and anxious time of your life you won't forget especially if it's your first time, like me.

Regarding the 'shock experience', my baby has been fine with the stock shocks throughout all the typical road bumps and potholes. Only when you hit those last minute unexpected ones at high speed does it startle her. Otherwise, the "bumpy" ride actually puts her to sleep faster. Figure that!

Anyway, the only thing I suggest in getting, that's VERY HIGHLY recommended, would be the seat extenders that Tone will be offering soon or from Alan (Big Meat VX?). I have Alans original version installed and it makes life a whole lot easier for not only going to the rear seat but also installing the baby seat. I'm not sure whether Alan still offer these anymore.

Before I installed the brackets, I managed to wrestle the hand carry rear-facing baby seat between the seats (with the baby inside) to rest on top of the center arm rest console then flip the passenger seat forward and lift the baby seat with one arm (while 1/2 my body out the door) and drop into the installed cradle. Believe me, this gets tiring after 3-4 months of continuously doing this process each time you enter or leave the VX! And it REALLY starts getting you as the baby grows and adds weight to the seat. Also, Cindy was getting tired of crawling between the seats to get to the back since the rear facing seat took up a lot of room to go through the normal way.

And when we had to get the front-facing child seat, I knew that I had to install the seat extenders to allow me to carry her safely and place her in the already installed baby seat. The brackets definitely allowed me to squeeze to the back with baby in hand and place her without a glitch.

Hopefully Tone will have his versions available soon to the public as baby or not, the brackets make a difference in getting to the back seat area. Good luck to ya'!
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

Thanks guys, great replies!
    Yeah Ron I`m definitely thinking about those seat extenders!
    I`m so happy that there are other fathers on this board!

Brackets ARE done - been busy with a new job so I haven’t had time to post on them. WAY easier to get in and out of the rear seats - great for babyseats and adults. I will be offering 2 versions, one that adds an additional 4.5” of travel and one that adds 3” - here is an album of the 4.5” brackets, Grade 8 hardware included, and install: http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b35406ec2518
    $75 includes freight in Continental US.
    Last edited by Tone : 11/09/2003 at 08:26 AM

Thumbs up

Tone just paypaled you for the 4.5 one...
    Any chance you can get them here by wed this week?
    She is going back to the shop then to put on the 5lb pulley and finish up some other goodies.

Thanks,
    Dave

Hey Tone,

I've also PayPaled you for the 4.5" brackets.

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Thumbs up

Cool mod, and one of the most needed... stretched kinda thin right now, but after the holidays I'll be after a set. Thanks!

Tone,
    How high does this raise the seat (if it does at all) I know peoples biggest concern with the last ones someone created was that the passenger seat was very elevated and with taller folks it seemed to be an issue?

Very little, maybe a 1/2” at most - see pictures.