Thread: 1/10 Scale VX RC-Crawler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Easy, I'm a lucky genius! Haha! I really don't know what I am going to do if those teeth don't hold up... the whole package depends on this setup. Eek!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Easy, I'm a lucky genius! Haha! I really don't know what I am going to do if those teeth don't hold up... the whole package depends on this setup. Eek!
    Yeah man, you are. I however, am totally lost with this stuff. I really wanted to have my Gelande done but with all of my recent developments, I just don't see it happening for a while. I have to many financial obligations that need tending to!

Bart

Justin, seeing your motor assembly on the LEGO's reminded me of the fact that I have always wanted to build a VX out of LEGO's. I'll have to get on that.

The R/C is looking great. Do you think it will be done in time to reveal it in Moab?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Justin, seeing your motor assembly on the LEGO's reminded me of the fact that I have always wanted to build a VX out of LEGO's. I'll have to get on that.

The R/C is looking great. Do you think it will be done in time to reveal it in Moab?
    Thx, Mark! Like I always tell Bart, "'Done' is such a strong word." It will not be done but it may be operational in time for the 'Zoo! Maybe. I am waiting on the motor which is on back order. The shocks are on back order too. I ordered a new radio & receiver (with a new rc monster truck haha) & I am hopeful that will be here by the end of the month. I still need to pick out a servo , speed control, & battery. The axles have arrived & they are stellar! I need to fab up & braze the cross members & shock hoops & of course mounts for everything. My maybe is a bit large.

It has been a while since I have posted an update.

I have been toying with the idea of cutting up an RC nitro engine block to use as a scale-appearing trans for a while.
    I'm not sure I am going to keep it or come up with something better yet.

My new axles are freaking awesome! Made of machined aluminum. These axles are 4 mm more narrow than the TLT axles I was mocking up with. Perfect!
    All others out there were too wide but these cost $300 for the pair! So because of that, I had to buy jack stands!

The most scale-appearing shocks I could find were these King units! 80mm in the front & 70 mm in the rear.
    Not a lot of flex available in these lengths but I think I am fine with it. The Brembo brakes I ordered fit for pics but will not work for operation...

Here Pocco checks clearances & starts to devise a plan of attack to get the brakes to mount up right.

Nice fit, aye?!

I loaded up the chassis with enough items to gauge finished-project weight to see how things were working out...

You can see here how I modified the rotors & calipers on the left - stock on the right. The rears will require a custom mount for the caliper though.

I have ended up buying a few "little things" while out-&-about, just for fun! Not sure I have the drive to create a diorama but it is fun to acquire these little doodads!
    Also picked up a few items I figured were about to go on back-order or have hit discontinued status.