Thread: 1/10 Scale VX RC-Crawler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It continues...
    I ordered a Tamiya CC01 chassis in the "Landfreeder" variety as it is the cheapest option & includes the tires in a 31" size. If I were to recreate some RC VX's for others, this is the chassis I would build upon. It took me about 5 hours to assemble & comes with a motor & esc. It just so happens that the included rims are very similar to what I put on Zeus too!

Assembled chassis:

I already knew the stock CC01 wheelbase was 10mm too long for the VX body & here is how much of a difference that is.

I did not take any pics as I was working on it but I picked up (2) 2.25" long all-thread & screwed on some rod ends to make the shorter lower links. I also took an upper V link from an HPI Wheely King, cut it down, drilled some holes, & screwed in two rod ends there too. I need to make shock brackets on the axle side & cut the driveshaft down. I also figured out a way to lift the chassis-side mount of the lower links for better looks & ground clearance. At least now I have an idea of what is involved to merge VX shell to this chassis if I end up making more of them.

So Zeus Mini is coming along! Check out the similarity of the wheels & the tire size. Close enough for me!

Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

So then... back to the solid axle chassis! The mock up chassis & setup has served it's purpose but is on its way out for a true frame rail-type chassis. I ordered the frame kit for an Axial SCX-10 crawler to start from. I also ordered a zinc-coated hex-head hardware kit for that extra touch of realism. The problem is the VX wheelbase is so short compared to everything else out there! Jamming everything into a 9.2" wheelbase versus the 11.5-12.5" norm is a bit tight to work with! Here we go:

See, way too long:

I got to hacking 2" out of the middle & made a transformer:

That cut made the frame fit just right within the underside of the shell & it put the shock mounts in a usable location for this wheelbase.

The next obstacle is driveshaft lengths & angles... I need the most narrow transfer case or transmission I can find in order to have usable driveshafts. So far it seems to be the HPI Wheely King transmission which I just happen to have an extra of! It will not allow me to create an interior though so if I use it, it will be temporary. The new axles I ordered are on backorder with no eta but they cost $300 for the pair! Ouch. The planetary trans I think I want to use is also on backorder, as is the t-case I thought I could use. The t-case may be too thick tho. Fun fun... OH YEAH! ...A driver is also on the way...

It's coming along good. Can't wait to see it in action! I still haven't ordered my electronics. No moneh.

Bart

Thumbs up

Wow! Sweeeeeeeeet!
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Hello again. So this is what a stock Axial SCX-10 / AX-10 transmission & motor mount look like bolted to an SCX-10 skid & frame...

Another shot. Notice the bulk of the trans & also the funky shaped rod ends.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Luckily, or unluckily, I already decided while this trans was in shipping that I was probably going to be disappointed. So $35 out...

...I went for it... I bought the beauty pieces... the extra touch of scale sensuality... ehem... what was I saying?
    Right, the the scale t-case, driveshafts, aluminum links, & stainless rod ends are ... "Oh myyy..."
    I got notice that the steel rod ends I wanted had come into stock & since I was buying something I might as well buy a sheet tonne of stuff.

Not shown yet is the transmission that connects to this t-case. I'm working on mounting ideas.
    I wanted a certain planetary but got tired of longing for items on back order.
    The axles & the shocks are all that I am waiting for now before I fab up & braze together
    a new skid/t-case mount/link mount, shock mounts, & crossmembers on the frame. Look how cool tho!!

Nice, how much longer until completion?

Bart