Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 1/10 Scale VX RC-Crawler

How much longer until parts come into stock? Haha they never give answers.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Whelp, I am having to get creative...
    Here is my RC4WD R3 transmission with an old 540 motor:

The problem is it is too tall in stock form to clear the hood unless I move the body higher than what would look scale/good.
    So... I started a search for an internal gear to replace my standard spur gear...
    I found some stuff in Australia for $200+ but that was about it until I searched for "48 planetary gear" on eBay... I found this:

Inside the rear wheel is a gyro that looks something like this:

I wondered if just maybe the planetary gear for that system would work for me... then I found it in metal on eBay for $15 shipped.
    It was 48 tooth versus my 64 tooth spur but I could not tell how big it really was. Nor could I tell what the gear pitch was.
    So I gambled $15 on it, hoping for a 2" outer diameter & 48 pitch to match my current spur/pinon combo.

BEHOLD!

2" outside diameter, 48 pitch, 48 tooth! Even the hole diameter was something I could work with.

Here is the slipper that needs to be grafter to the internal gear:

So I got to work. I had to remove the shoulder around the center bore & then sand it all flat & then drill out the center with a 3/8" drill bit.
    The larger opening is not quite circular; it looks as if a one-way bearing is supposed to go in there but most of that material was removed so it's not a problem.
    I then drilled the (3) 9/64" holes for the screws:

I did some test fitting:

You can see the one problem at the lower right of the above image...
    When I had it clamped in my vise multiple times I must have missed the disc portion & clamped right onto the ring only... it looks to have cracked!
    I assumed it was hardened steel like what I am used to seeing, but as I looked closer, I think it is just a cut above pot metal. A gyro would not require hardened steel.
    I have to order another gear since I learned on this one. I'm nervous because this will TOTALLY work if the gear can handle the torque of the motor.

More low-profile (Before & after):

It dropped the motor about 3/8" which is all I needed. Remember tho that is actually 3-3/4" in 1:1 scale!
    I just have my doubts the gear teeth will hold up...

Wow man, you're really going balls out!! I don't know how you make all this work!

Bart

Easy, I'm a lucky genius! Haha! I really don't know what I am going to do if those teeth don't hold up... the whole package depends on this setup. Eek!

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Easy, I'm a lucky genius! Haha! I really don't know what I am going to do if those teeth don't hold up... the whole package depends on this setup. Eek!
    Yeah man, you are. I however, am totally lost with this stuff. I really wanted to have my Gelande done but with all of my recent developments, I just don't see it happening for a while. I have to many financial obligations that need tending to!

Bart

Justin, seeing your motor assembly on the LEGO's reminded me of the fact that I have always wanted to build a VX out of LEGO's. I'll have to get on that.

The R/C is looking great. Do you think it will be done in time to reveal it in Moab?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Justin, seeing your motor assembly on the LEGO's reminded me of the fact that I have always wanted to build a VX out of LEGO's. I'll have to get on that.

The R/C is looking great. Do you think it will be done in time to reveal it in Moab?
    Thx, Mark! Like I always tell Bart, "'Done' is such a strong word." It will not be done but it may be operational in time for the 'Zoo! Maybe. I am waiting on the motor which is on back order. The shocks are on back order too. I ordered a new radio & receiver (with a new rc monster truck haha) & I am hopeful that will be here by the end of the month. I still need to pick out a servo , speed control, & battery. The axles have arrived & they are stellar! I need to fab up & braze the cross members & shock hoops & of course mounts for everything. My maybe is a bit large.

It has been a while since I have posted an update.

I have been toying with the idea of cutting up an RC nitro engine block to use as a scale-appearing trans for a while.
    I'm not sure I am going to keep it or come up with something better yet.

My new axles are freaking awesome! Made of machined aluminum. These axles are 4 mm more narrow than the TLT axles I was mocking up with. Perfect!
    All others out there were too wide but these cost $300 for the pair! So because of that, I had to buy jack stands!

The most scale-appearing shocks I could find were these King units! 80mm in the front & 70 mm in the rear.
    Not a lot of flex available in these lengths but I think I am fine with it. The Brembo brakes I ordered fit for pics but will not work for operation...

Here Pocco checks clearances & starts to devise a plan of attack to get the brakes to mount up right.

Nice fit, aye?!

I loaded up the chassis with enough items to gauge finished-project weight to see how things were working out...

You can see here how I modified the rotors & calipers on the left - stock on the right. The rears will require a custom mount for the caliper though.

I have ended up buying a few "little things" while out-&-about, just for fun! Not sure I have the drive to create a diorama but it is fun to acquire these little doodads!
    Also picked up a few items I figured were about to go on back-order or have hit discontinued status.

Dude, looks awesome. I am digging the photos too! Maybe you will have it done come October? I am going to try and have my D90 completed soon. It would be nice if we had a couple to play with during a camping trip!

Bart

Gracias, Amigo. I need to get off my butt & get to fabbin! I have hit that stage where most of the acquisition is behind me. Still need a motor, ESC, & waterproof servo. I think I have the bulk of everything else. Next step is to weld the frame back together & start creating steel crossmembers.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up Noice !!!

Nice work Dude......

And tell that skank Pocco to quit put'n ketchup & laundry soap on her corn flakes...

Dub, Pocco has been having trouble adjusting to American food so she tries some jacked-up stuff!
    Plus, she drinks too much & doesn't realize what she is doing half the time.

We decided to step up the presentation level of the build process!
    ...aaannnddd Pocco wanted her own room.

As you can see, my 1951 Erector set is finally being put to good use!

100 bucks plus in foam board, glue, tape, zip-ties, & lighting got me here. There is, of course, some detail work still needed.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool

AWESOME Dude...

LVE'n tha new shop !

Don't go too far down tha rabbit hole, & become a mini you.

Even though it would seem like fun to whirrrrr (motor, not engine) off into tha sunset with that skank Pocco...

We need you too much in this world...

Looks awesome. KMFDM FTW!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    AWESOME Dude...

LVE'n tha new shop !

Don't go too far down tha rabbit hole, & become a mini you.

Even though it would seem like fun to whirrrrr (motor, not engine) off into tha sunset with that skank Pocco...

We need you too much in this world...
    "Life in plastic, it's fantastic!" ...too late, I prefer this tactile fantasy world to the real one but I just can't seem to shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Looks awesome. KMFDM FTW!

Bart
    Bart, U gave me that KMFDM sticker, U know...