Thread: How do you remove window sill (Outer Waist Seal)

How do you remove window sill (Outer Waist Seal)

Does anyone have a suggestion to how to remove "Outer Waist Seal", a window sill on the outside of the window.

I have ruined them on other cars before, so I definitely want to avoid doing it on my VX.

TIA!
    96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    If I remember correctly, it has plastic tabs that hold the seal to the door and they have to be slid forward to be pulled off. Also, I believe the door panels have to be removed for you to access the tabs.

Yes, they're way too easy to bend if you force them at all - ask me how I know

Start at the end near the door lock stem and try to pry it up.

The strip has these plastic cleat type things spaced along the inner edge (that faces glass). Each one has a prong sticking forward and rearward that has to be lined up with holes in the door. Many of mine were broken off, but it still held cuz it still had some.

My original one had NO adhesive type stuff, just fastened by those cleats.

After pbkid installed my front speakers he told me they were supposed to be secured and he put some rtv along the edge. It held them firm FOR SURE - but was a PITA to remove when I needed to access the inner door guts again. So I pried it out and just used much less of it to secure them when I was done.

These pics don't show the cleat things. I still have my original mangled one I can snap pics of to give you better idea of what I'm talking about.

lemme know!

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Kat,

Thank you for warning me about those "clips"! Turns out that they are easy to deal with! Just slide them, one at a time, toward the front of the door. Just before the window run, there is JUST enough space to slip them off the door! Clearly they made it this way!

After I slit all the clips off, the sill came right off! I didn't break a singe clip using this method and my sills are still perfect!

BTW, I just re-checked FSM and there is no mention of those clipse... I hate it when they leave critical items like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon R View Post
    Kat,

Thank you for warning me about those "clips"! Turns out that they are easy to deal with! Just slide them, one at a time, toward the front of the door. Just before the window run, there is JUST enough space to slip them off the door! Clearly they made it this way!

After I slit all the clips off, the sill came right off! I didn't break a singe clip using this method and my sills are still perfect!

BTW, I just re-checked FSM and there is no mention of those clipse... I hate it when they leave critical items like that!
    I solved my problem! After I bent it and couldn't get it back to my satisfaction, I bought one from a salvage yard!

When it arrived it had all the clips still intact - my old one only had ONE! So I did learn how it was installed, just like you described.