Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: stalling problem...............

stalling problem...............

Today right after getting a new sticker for registration on my VX it started stalling. It would start after the third or fourth attempts. Any suggestions? FYI, my Optima battery is only about one year old.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

First thing to check is to see if you have any accumulated water in the spark plug wells. Many have noted stalling problems after going through a car wash.

While you have the coils off, pull the plugs & check the gap. Over the weekend, I checked them on Boy's Ebony and they were gapped at .050 or worse. It runs much better at .035.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Just got back from getting it checked out. I need a new fuel pump. Its gonna run me about $700. Uggggghhhhhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    Just got back from getting it checked out. I need a new fuel pump. Its gonna run me about $700. Uggggghhhhhhhhh!
    Is the pump failing, or is it clogged up?

....not sure if that is possible, but a cleaner is always a quicker/cheaper option if available.

FYI, Trooper fuel pump works on the VX.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

& you don't need to drop the tank if you're willing to cut through your rear deck to access the pump.

Apparently it is beginning to fail. I'd rather replace it with a brand new one than do a temporary fix anyway. The part itself is not the $ issue. The labor is what is the killer.

Yes, your problem is definately fuel related. However; before you spend $700+, first change only the "Fuel Filter" and see if that solves the problem. Always start with the cheapest solution first and then progress to the more expensive later if problem still exists. Remember, a professional mechanic is also a professional businessman in the business to make money (errr.....take your money). Thus; only change the "Fuel Filter" at this time, and then re-evaluate symptoms!!!

In addition; before starting your VX each time, it's always a good habit to first turn your key to "ACC" and then pause-n-wait until the "Air Bag" idiot light goes out-- then fully turn the key and start the VX. I do this method everytime before start-up and it fires up everytime without fail. The fuel pump is "electric", and this start-up method helps prime the fuel system before iginition. Give it a try.

Last edited by Riff Raff : 06/18/2013 at 08:47 AM Reason: "Air Bag" idiot light; not "Fasten Seat Belt" idiot light.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Yes, your problem is definately fuel related. However; before you spend $700+, first change only the "Fuel Filter" and see if that solves the problem. Always start with the cheapest solution first and then progress to the more expensive later if problem still exists. Remember, a professional mechanic is also a professional businessman in the business to make money (errr.....take your money). Thus; only change the "Fuel Filter" at this time, and then re-evaluate symptoms!!!

In addition; before starting your VX each time, it's always a good habit to first turn your key to "ACC" and then pause-n-wait until the "Fasten Seat Belt" idiot light goes out-- then fully turn the key and start the VX. I do this method everytime before start-up and it fires up everytime without fail. The fuel pump is "electric", and this start-up method helps prime the fuel system before iginition. Give it a try.

X2

Good advice and easiest by far to check/replace among all other possible causes.

thanks guys!

In addition; before starting your VX each time, it's always a good habit to first turn your key to "ACC" and then pause-n-wait until the "Fasten Seat Belt" idiot light goes out-- then fully turn the key and start the VX. I do this method everytime before start-up and it fires up everytime without fail. The fuel pump is "electric", and this start-up method helps prime the fuel system before iginition. Give it a try.

is replacing the fuel filter a very easy job?

oh, and I already had them get the new pump. Should I ask to see the old one when they are done the work?

is replacing the fuel filter a very easy job?

Here you go:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1673

Regarding the pre-ordered Fuel Pump-- Ask the mechanic to "wait/hold-off" on the Fuel Pump issue (reason-- say "lack of money" due to other ongoing bills; we'll have to fix it later). He should be able to return it back to his parts supplier without penalty.

Here you go:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1673

Regarding the pre-ordered Fuel Pump-- Ask the mechanic to "wait/hold-off" on the Fuel Pump issue (reason-- say "lack of money" due to other ongoing bills; we'll have to fix it later). He should be able to return it back to his parts supplier without penalty.

how much should said fuel pump cost? I'm looking on ebay and it seems he quoted me a price that is a little high. maybe a second opinion is in order? Just fyi to those looking on to this thread, I'm not mechanically inclined, nor do I claim to be, though I do know much about it. Just no confidence to do work myself.

oh, lastly, would a mechanic lie about such repair even considering its a big job with a lot of work entailed? It seems he'd try to fix it in an easier fashion. Also considering this is a busy shop. Just wondering. Fwiw, this shop fixed other problems I've had with my vx in cheaper fashion, which makes me believe they honestly know I need said fuel pump replaced.

lol, you guys will be annoyed by me 2night, but the tech also mentioned that my bad fuel pump contributes to my high idle, which was one problem they lessened recently for me. Is that true?
    Last edited by H3_VX : 06/17/2013 at 05:07 PM

Prices straight from Isuzu:
    $424 = fuel pump

$15 = fuel filter

Prices on RockAuto:
    $3-$10 = fuel filter

$25-$170 = fuel pump