Thread: IAT Sensor - Resistor Mod

Wrench IAT Sensor - Resistor Mod

Hi,

I heard about some little black box that you can buy from Ebay for about $20 that increases HP and gas mileage, etc... A local VX owner (not a member) said he has it and it works. I'm thinking BS...
    So I start researching this thing and found out that it's just a project box with wires coming out that go to a resistor inside. Clever.

Then, I found a site (below) that describes how to do it on a '99 LS1.

All it does is bypass the Intake Air Temperature sensor and tricks the computer into thinking that the intake air is 57 degrees. This causes the computer to change it's parameters, advancing timing, etc.

So, I went to Radio Shack yesterday and bought the resistor (pack of 6, I think, for less than $2.).
    Installed it in about 60 seconds.

Prior to installing, I've been having sluggish performance due to 100+ degree temps outside.
    I drove it around the block, and had NOTICEABLE performance gains... but, with great power comes great responsibility... LOL
    I did hear what sounded like light pinging from the advanced timing.

This morning's trip to work was great though (at 80 degrees). Strong performance.

I will be tracking this very closely on my way home tonight, at 4pm, during the hottest time of day.

NOTE: Las Vegas is at about 105 degrees these days. This mod works for hotter temp regions... colder, not so much.

Before anyone says... "there's a reason why the computer retards the timing in hotter temps"... I know this. That's not the point... I'm testing the "myth" of the Resistor Trick on the VX.

Hoping for the best!
    JIM

Here's the link:
    http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ricker_mod.htm
    Last edited by SilverBullet75 : 06/12/2013 at 12:19 PM Reason: Changed title for accuracy
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

if you go over 88mph you will disrupt the space time continuum

And if I hit a bump and take a right toin I'll end up in Albiquoikee.
    LoL

Yup, my boss has done this many times on his Chevy V6 Vortec motors since they are generally a little sluggish. There are pre-made kits for it, but as you found, its very easy to do yourself.

Update

The ride home was great!
    NO pinging... and I tried hard to make it do it.
    A/C, hills, braking while accelerating...

It wasn't AS peppy as the morning run, but definitely better than without the mod.

I'm going to track gas mileage change next.

Also, I need to take it to a shop to test timing with the IAT in stock config., and with the mod to see how much change there really is.

I bought one of those for my mazda about 10 years ago while living in Guam, I noticed no difference. I guess the ultimate test would be to run some 0-60 times,or even better a dyno, but I am still in the "snake oil" camp on this one. If it were that easy to improve performance, I would think auto manufacturers would do it, and big name upgrade companies would market them as well with a Jegs sticker or some equivalent.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

The thing is, I think it will only show it's value in HoT climates, like 95+ degrees.
    Otherwise the vehicle is already performing at it's best.

I just gave the extra resistors I had to two of my coworkers.

One of the guys has a dodge 3500 dually with a hemi.
    He called me on the way home tonight all excited... It works it works!!!

I get it, OEM tune usually has plenty of margin built into it. But this isn't 1990...

I prefer a different approach to performance tuning, I would much rather use something a bit more controlable. Instead of perminent hack, you can try one of many piggy back systems, that can fool sensors based on RPMs and or engine load.

I am going to experiment with AEM FIC piggyback system and report how it working out. I already bought the system, I just have to find time to install it and start playing with it.
    96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)