Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: for new owners

for new owners

I have bought many cars over the years and like many folk never really read the owners manual.

Guess I'm used to Apple Macintosh computers which have always been plug and play for me. Never got in the habit of reading owners manuals!!!

This weekend I read the VX owners manual front to back and discovered simple things "I" didnt know or discover on my own. I'm sure all you vetran owners know these, but for the new owner like myself I wish to mention a few and encourage you to read the manual!!!

I didn't know that to the right side of the rear liscense plate mounting area is a recess into the plastic which is meant to be a handle to pull open the back door once you unlock it with the key! Simple, but I never discovered this.

Also learned that the dome light can be operated on its own by pushing its lense upwards....I just assumed no switched meant that it only went on when the doors were opened!!

Did you know that if you ever got a flat (stock) tire, after replacing it with the space save in the door, there is an ingenious way to secure the flat tire in the back of the VX!!! Yep...its in the manual!!!

How about the fact that the rear window defogger/deicer is on a 30 min timer incase you forget to turn it off, but the side mirror defogger/deicer will not and you need to rememebr to turn it off!! Of course when you turn off the VX you cancel all these systems.

Then there is the power and winter buttons...read the manual!!

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.........HEY...You sleeping yet??

anyway I hope I didnt bore you vetrans and maybe helped a noobie or two like myself!!!
    Cheers,
    Dave

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329

Re: for new owners

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drdavidr4u

right side of the rear liscense plate mounting area is a recess into the plastic which is meant to be a handle

I didnt know that one ... COOL! I have been worried about breaking the key off while opening the pod bay door.

Also learned that the dome light can be operated on its own by pushing its lense upwards

learned about that one first time I sat in the VX... Looked up and wondered how the heck to turn it off... I think 'push' was the giveaway...

Did you know that if you ever got a flat (stock) tire, after replacing it with the space save in the door, there is an ingenious way to secure the flat tire in the back of the VX!!! Yep...its in the manual!!!

Yes, I Saw that in the manual.. and even used it once...

How about the fact that the rear window defogger/deicer is on a 30 min timer incase you forget to turn it off

Every vehicle I've owned has had some variation of this feature... Usually less than 30 mins though. Some even cycled on and off every 5-10 mins until you turned off the car.

but the side mirror defogger/deicer will not and you need to rememebr to turn it off!!

Learned that the hard way ... glanced down and saw the little green light still on after quite a while, and mirror was still warm...

Of course when you turn off the VX you cancel all these systems.

Even the door handle? ;Dr;

Anway... seriously... thanks for pointing out some of these things... The door handle one has intrigued me, and I wanna go make sure mine works before I head out for lunch..

door handle?

Thumbs up

turning off the vx won't disable the heated mirrors.. they stay on as long as that swich is pushed in.... Those mirror heaters btw are one of my favorite things the vx has... they work great in the rain too, keeps the mirror dry so you can see...

Spike, what do you mean,door handle?

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Sheik,

It isnt really a "handle"in the terms of something to turn, but more a door pull. Its just a recessed area to the right of the license plate..

My favorite discovery was after a year of ownership, I learned that the knobs used to adjust the driver and passenger seatbacks and the levers to flip the backs up are found on both sides of each seat.

Doh! :homer:
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Thanks Anita, I was'nt too sure what Spike meant re: the handle. I thought it was the front doors that he was speaking of.I was well aware of all the rest due the fact I have the owners manuel......By the way, If ya ask me, I would say that this manuel is isn't quite ready for publication yet. No detail to much of what they try to say. Just one more reason I love this site, if ya catch my drift....thx again

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    Handle - as in something to grip the door with...

And I was joking about the handle turning off when you turn the key off...

How about the reclining rear seats?!? I found these after a few months.... Cool thing is lay both seats flat with the headrests off and you have a nice full size bed in the back!!!!! Now thats my kinda truck!

The rear seats recline that much

Gotta' try it soon.
    From Unimog to VX - a serious change in velocity - a small sacrifice in voracity.

Quote Originally Posted by cascabel3
    The rear seats recline that much
    ALL of the seats recline that much. You can pretty much turn the entire truck into one big lumpy mattress.

While we are on this subject of "stuff for newbee's", my VX didn't come with a manual. I have discovered all the things covered here so far but what the heck is the button on the center console on the driver's side of the button that operates the mirror heaters? I think it was Spazz who said it was for the ejector seat but I tried it & nothing happened (hope it is not time delayed).

If I recall correctly (and there is a chance that I don't ), that button blank next to the mirror heater was for the Japanese models - they have a button there that folds in the mirrors.

Ron

Something else i read was that the black on the hood is to reduce glare.
    '99 Vehicross - Daily Driver
    '93 Wrangler - Tank in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Slapahoe
    Something else i read was that the black on the hood is to reduce glare.
    I heard that it's to preheat your engine.... solar powered!
    Steve