Thread: Ignition (key) switch wire colors?

Ignition (key) switch wire colors?

I am getting ready to do my Engine Start button mod (like Dave's) and I was wondering if anyone knows the wire colors for the ignition (key) switch? I searched VX service manual CD and I found this diagram:

It shows the switch but it does not show the wire colors. Anyone has taken theirs apart and knows the wire colors on that diagram? Dave? I know you had to figure it out when you put your Red Button in any help? Thanks!

Edit: Ok. Can someone tell me what color is "ST" and "ACC" wires please? For some reason colors are not indicated on the diagram...
    Last edited by Yefim : 11/04/2002 at 07:04 PM

One more question:

Does anyone knows if I can hook up the button somehow to the shifter? I'd like to make it so that the button will only be enabled while the car is in park. Once you shift to drive the button will be disabled. Any other wire I can use which "knows" if the engine is running?

Being that only a few have been into the ignition switch area, you may be on your own.. the diagram shows white, blue, red and yellow colors being used. You would only have 2 more colors to choose from. I'll do some looking and see if I can't help out. Hopefully the folks that have been in there will chime in
    Scott / moncha.com

Smile

Thanks Scott. I actually figured out the wire colors already, the only one I am still not sure about is the ACC wire but I am not gonna need it for this project so I don't really care. The real question now is: is there a way to tell if the engine is running or not?? One answer could be tap into the oil pressure indicator and if there is no pressure - then the engine is off. But VX does not have the oil pressure indicator so I can't use that trick. I would like to disable the button when the engine is running so if you press it again it wouldn't crank the engine while it's already on. So far, I haven't be able to figure out how can I do that... so it looks like the button is gonna go in this weekend without this preventative measure. Unless anyone has other suggestions?