Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: this guy wants isuzu in his rx8

this guy wants isuzu in his rx8

I was doing a little searching on our engines and....this recent forum popped up. This guy wants to put an isuzu v6 in his rx8. feel free to read - warning - its very long and he hasnt done anything yet just asking questions. after reading 19 pages i felt obligated to sign up and tell him NOOOOO, haha
    thoughts and opinions welcome, i clearly have nothing better to do.

http://www.rx8club.com/major-horsepo...241226/page19/

Oh boy, now you've done it. Cross-forum flaming is sure to follow.

Blows my mind that the guy is so argumentative with someone who actually owns an Isuzu. But if he knows of a yard with these prices I might just tag along:
    Engines are $300-500 for any engine in the yard, $50 for ECU and $50 for complete harness. Transmissions are $100~200 if I recall correctly for any trans in the yard.
    And comments like this would suggest he has no idea how significant the oil consumption issue really is.
    Facts about the swap that can not be argued.
    -Better gas mileage
    -Less oil consumption
    Lastly I'd be interested to know where he found that "the 6VE1 has been built to 813hp." If that's true I shudder to think how much oil that guy must go through between changes.

It seems that most people who post these types of threads end up seeing their dreams killed early on when they run into a problem they can't solve or run out of money because it's more expensive than what they thought. The sad thing in this situation is that the guy might actually be knowledgeable enough to go all the way through with it, in which case he won't find out what a mistake he's made until the very end when the oil consumption is just as bad as before and the improvements in performance and fuel economy are nominal.

I'm not trying to flame, just give him a heads up about what's actually involved. I don't get the brand association like some people (recall a certain jeep thread on here lol). Anyway I've seen high powered Isuzu v6s but they're completely one off builds on standalone engine management. Not a junkyard engine hehe. I'm not doing it to harrass or be a jerk. Just really hate when people act on incomplete or bad info.
    And it seems like he might be able to pull it off from what I've seen and I agree with what you said about him being disappointed at that point.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Nice ABDragon. He has a point... if he never sees Troopers smoking, clearly there is no oil burning. It's just something the VX community made up to scare people away.

Wow, just wow... Being often attracted to unique, but underpowered cars (Fiero, Triumph TR7, Mitsu Starion and now... VX ), I have been fascinated by engine swaps since high-school. So I LOVE cars with swapped engines! I have been closely following dozens of different swap engines and did a couple of such projects myself.

The rule of thumb for engine swap for a performance car is that the new engine should make 200-300% the power of the original power plant. Otherwise, IT NOT WORTH THE EFFORT!!! So, right there, this is a wrong engine choice! Next, you should look at things like: physical size, weight, and SUPPORTING PARTS!!! Isuzu is then DQed by SUPPORTING PARTS category!

Next fact about engine swaps: They are almost never as reliable or as well engineered as OEM engine installations! So you end up problems like: improper engine mounts, terrible maintenance access, questionable wiring, excessive under hood heat.

Best engine swap project is if it was originally offered by the manufacturer (like putting a V8 into a V6 Mustang, using mostly OEM parts), next is a swap kit developed by a reputable company (there are several companies who offer V8 kits for RX7...., but those tend to be pricy).

IF he was some Isuzu fanatic and just HAD TO use this engine to prove a point, then I understand. But he isn't... I would have said this he is trolling RX8 site for flames, but he actually did LOTS of research! Finding LOT of good information for US to know! So the longer he stays on this topic the better it is for US! Please do not discourage him!!!

But is it true that our engine is related to a Northstar? Or did I read it wrong?

Don't think our engine is related to a northstar. I mentioned it because if I keep my vehicross long enough its going to be getting an lc3. I agree with most of what you say but just wish he'd pick a better engine lol, even the v6 from a 350z or something. But if he ends up building the engine and using a custom piston drilled to handle the oil issue, ill be interested in what comes out of it. Plus he's not going to be tuning the engine, just piggybacking and I think hes going to run into problems. My 2 cents.

It wasn't what you said, someone else mentioned it.

http://www.rx8club.com/major-horsepo...5/#post4400489

But I think that they were talking about another GM engine.

Ah. Perfect, thanks for the clarity

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    You should start another thread claiming you are going to swap an Rx8 engine to your VX and flame on!

That would be too funny. Claim I'm doing a turbo rotary vx. Haha

that rotary in the rx8 is a slow turd...also its n/a. you could almost put anything in there and it would be an improvement lol.

i have a 93 rx7 twin turbo rotary and i love it, love it, love it....when its running that is.
    93 jdm supra; 93 tt rx7; 00 ws6 t/a; 05 bmw z4 (sold)
    05 x-runner; 98 eclipse gs (sold); 99 stang

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Oh boy, now you've done it. Cross-forum flaming is sure to follow.
    Hello, I'm a moderator on RX8Club. We have a rule against cross-forum trolling and anyone to do so will be sent to "Time-Out" (temp ban).

Thanks for your interest in our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post
    Hello, I'm a moderator on RX8Club. We have a rule against cross-forum trolling and anyone to do so will be sent to "Time-Out" (temp ban).

ohhhhhh

You guys got in trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by frakkin toaster View Post
    that rotary in the rx8 is a slow turd...also its n/a. you could almost put anything in there and it would be an improvement lol.

i have a 93 rx7 twin turbo rotary and i love it, love it, love it....when its running that is.
    So I guess you are used to oil burning motors already...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post

Don't you just love a moderator -- who comes to "visit" -- and can only think to send out warnings. What a fa-rend-ly guy ...

Yeah...welcome to our forum too.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette