Thread: TOD front speed sensor

TOD front speed sensor

posting from my phone, so mods feel free to move as required
    So I had the TOD check light, & thought that the bad CV boot may have been the issue, (axle change is a whole other story!) But it was still popping the "check" light. Found the code, it is 16, (front sensor on transfer case) so I googled the location after searching on here, & would just like to know where it is??? Given I'm in Northeast Ohio it is STILL snowing & I just would like the TOD to get me through the winter until I can drive my EVO. Any pics of the sensor's location would be awesome.... Thanx in advance
    Last edited by magikmike : 03/21/2013 at 06:27 PM Reason: fixed some "autofill" from phone input

So... I went in search of the "front" speed sensor on the transfer case. Turns out it is mounted on the back of the case. Removed sensor, found a little bit of metal "fuzz" on it (i'd expect that after 120K) wiped it off, re-installed the sensor. Seems to be driving fine on the roads and highway. I gas'd it a few time in the snow to get the rears to spin, and TOD is responding. Figured I'd post this in-case anyone else runs into this as their Vx ages.

Picture of TOD Speed Sensors

The part #7 is your front and rear speed sensors.

Still trying to diagnose

Mike, I am getting the flashing light and the mechanic said it was giving a code for the speed sensors. How do you tell which one it is?

were did you find that pic???? it wasn't in the manual I downloaded??? Anyways... Code 14 & 16 are for the front speed sensor... 24 & 27 are for the rear speed sensor. I'm assuming if you are having a mechanic look at it, you don't know how to pull the codes. If you downloaded the manual from here: http://vehicross.info/modules.php?na...warticle&id=20), go to page 350... there is a description on how to pull the codes even without the scanner. If you are getting up there in miles, you may just wanna pull both and see if there is just a little "fuzz" on them like mine... TOD service may be a good idea if there is, I'll be doing mine this weekend.

I also was having the flashing check light. I used the procedure in the manual to check the codes from the TOD. I was getting 14 and 24 which was the front and rear sensors. I didn't believe they could both be bad so I started tracing wires and found where the wiring was touching the exhaust pipe right next the TOD module. The wires were exposed, burnt, and shorting out which caused the problem. A relatively easy and free fix. The manual was a huge help!

Can the front and rear sensors be replaced without remove the whole TOD like my dealership says then need to?

Has anyone found a good source for new replacement sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbubba00 View Post
    I also was having the flashing check light. I used the procedure in the manual to check the codes from the TOD. I was getting 14 and 24 which was the front and rear sensors. I didn't believe they could both be bad so I started tracing wires and found where the wiring was touching the exhaust pipe right next the TOD module. The wires were exposed, burnt, and shorting out which caused the problem. A relatively easy and free fix. The manual was a huge help!
    Could you please post a photo of the place where you traced the problem?

Thank you!

Reviving this thread. Did the TOD check and am receiving 27 and 31

27 - Rear Sensor
    31 - EMC (+) Shorted or Disconnected Coil/Wiring

Previously when I replaced both sensors I was getting 16 and 27

Anyone had 31 before? I'm going to trace the wiring but it sounds like it might be something else?

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Anyone have some hints at how to get the speed sensors out?
    Removal has been noted as difficult for some and not for others. Put me in the difficult group.
    BTW: I think this is the issue with my TOD not working. It appears one of the sensors is shorting the reference TOD voltage.
    You can't spell Geek without an EE