Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Operation: OVERLAND VX

I will, I will bne following the PCH from Washington down the coast campingm B&Bing, and staying with friends. Jo I may take you up on that, two days in SD may be fine, I'm staying with one other guy while I'm there.
    Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...land-VEHIcross

Here's my other forum post Does anyone have some suggestions on what I may need for self sufficient driving excursions across the country and beyond? Fluids, parts, etc? What parts may fail in that huge of a trip?

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    It would be great to meet up...

Quote Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
    Jo I may take you up on that, two days in SD may be fine, I'm staying with one other guy while I'm there.
    ...I'll be away at some boring event ( Ldub & TLMP ) in Fargo, April 18th -22nd !!

But other than that, I'd love to meet up and see your VX.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just so everyone knows we have a year to plan this thing, test the equipment in Alaska, and set a perfect route/date. I will most likely be heading out mid April (17th...ish) of 2014 and taking three weeks to make it down to San Diego before heading east to Vegas, and Arizona. That will be the base of operations for the 2015 trip over to the east coast from the Florida panhandle up to New York. These are big dreams but I think it will all be doable.
    And make sure to check out the VehiCROSSAmerica page on Facebook and find out how you can support children in developing countries!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/VehiCR...6676208766370#

NAy ideas on spare parts needed for the trip that I may start to amass, or parts that must be changed beforehand i.e. shocks, springs, seals of some sort. I only have 60K on this rig

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Ahhh..OK!..Gotcha 'a !

I thought you meant this April .

Jo

What kind of parts should I carry on board during the 6000 mile trip? Also we are supporting Gospel for Asia look them up on our pages and see what you can do to contribute.

Sorry it took so long to reply for the parts thing
    I did my trip Charleston, SC to Seattle, WA, wheeled in KS and in Moab, this is what I consider critical parts:
    At least one CV joint
    A pair of tie rods (probably weakest link in front end other than CV joint)
    I don't carry, but would consider a center drag link, especially if you do HD tie rods
    Rear Drive shaft
    A front prop shaft would be nice, but not required, you can almost always get out in 2LOW if you have to (I carry both shafts)
    Fuel pump
    Alternator
    Serpentine belts
    Fuses
    Tools of course
    All types of fluids
    Hose patch kit
    Lock wire and pliers
    AC inverter
    Extra drive flange or manual hub, I assume you will run manual hubs for better MPG and reliability and if you bust one CV, you can prevent TOD from throwing a fit.
    Metric bolt assortment, like a kit from a parts store, has all kinds of sizes.
    Large zipties, 100mph tape, JB weld or equivalent
    Printed copy of shop manual or even an electric on your phone/tablet/laptop would be a good idea as well.

Short of an engine failure or tranny/transfer case failure, the above things will ensure you can get back to civilization. You have to be able to steer. The engine has to have fuel, electrical power, cooling and you have to be able to spin the rear wheels, everything else is just luxury...lol.

I also bring a welder, grinder, impact, CO2 bottle (or nice compressor) but those stay at base camp due to weight and size. This is why I like the trailer idea, if truck has problems, you can always dump the trailer and tow truck out if needed.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Marlin,
    I just went out and bought almost everything on that list minus the CV's and half shafts. For this leg of the trip with the little amount of offroad we are seeing (minus the AlCan) and trying to keep the weight down I also opted not to carry an extra starter. I got all of the oil I'll need for a change 3k miles in. Finding a way to carry the oil, and extra fuel can, and water now.

Any suggestions?

Marlin,
    I just went out and bought almost everything on that list minus the CV's and half shafts. For this leg of the trip with the little amount of offroad we are seeing (minus the AlCan) and trying to keep the weight down I also opted not to carry an extra starter. I got all of the oil I'll need for a change 3k miles in. Finding a way to carry the oil, and extra fuel can, and water now.

Any suggestions?
    Do you have a hitch? If so, one of those aluminum hitch tray would work great! Light weight, hold a few hundred pounds and easy to take off and store on the roof. Plus, easy to access for fuel and water.
    I don't carry half shafts, that is not a trail repair, plus, I have never heard of one failing all at once?
    I would recommend one of the cheap Ebay CV joints. They are fine if you don't have a front locker. <80 bucks, just in boots, boot clamps and grease they are worth that much

Here you go
    Even holds your duct tape
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Add power steering pump and idler pulley to that list. I learned the hard way today.

We have just officially picked up Huckberry.com as a sponsor of the trip!

The roof top tent is coming in today!

Marlin,
    I got all of the oil I'll need for a change 3k miles in. Finding a way to carry the oil, and extra fuel can, and water now.

Any suggestions?

• I'd get a ScanGaugeII so you can read any codes that pop up.

• Add a PCV valve to your parts list

• I know you bought it with 28k just a few years ago, and you're at 58k now.
      Have you ever seen ANY oil consumption, and especially as the miles increased?
      Several here have said they had no oil issue until after around 60k.

• Also, with your many LONG drives from CA/AZ/AK up to Anchorage, did you see any oil consumption on the long duration drives?

• My guess is you'll need a lot more oil than the 5 qts or so for a change, but you'll be in civilized areas much of the time right? So you could buy more oil along the way.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.