Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: mods mods mods on the mind.

mods mods mods on the mind.

Thanks chris for shipping me a roof rack, had enough of my skis touching the tailgate and heater controls at the same time haha.

just had my leather seats touched up to hide the signs of age, great work and they look good.

Ill be honest here, Ive been reading all the wheel threads and can't figure out how much i should be concerned about backspacing. All I want to accomplish is a 16 inch rim that fits and can turn without interference with a 16 general grabber uhp mounted on it.

After that Ive been working on mounting my nx n2o kit up, my sub box/bottle holder should be done in a few weeks when im not busy. plans to get a used 4l30e and rebuild it with level 10 components are also in the making. Hopefully the little 3.5 can handle some torture this summer without blowing up.

anyone have experience with fuel trims on the isuzu/tuning? if this project gets crazy will i need to move to a standalone? for the time being ill probably adjust afr's by increasing or decreasing the fuel jet on the wet shot.

Never heard of an Isuzu with nitrous, should be pretty sweet. I've had nitrous on my past few cars (Nissan 300zx, AP1 Honda S2000) and it was awesome, although there are quite a few things you should do for safety before spraying.

I do see you're going to be using a wet shot, that's a good first step. The other things i'd invest in before spraying is a purge system, a WOT switch, a window switch, and a wideband. On your VX since you will be using the stock fuel system I wouldn't go above a 50 shot for safety reasons.

The purge system will the clear the line and get the nitrous up to the solenoid ready to spray, if you don't do this you can have a delay in your system and you will run super rich since the fuel is injecting, but the nitrous isn't for a certain amount of time. The WOT (wide open throttle) switch is exactly what it sounds like, it's a little micro switch that is depressed as soon as you floor your rig and will activate the system. You should never use nitrous without giving it full throttle so this will turn on/off the system when appropriate. The window switch will let you choose what RPM you want the system to engage and disengage at, for example you really don't want nitrous spraying below 2000 RPM, so set it say at 3000 up until say 5500 RPM and then it will shut off so it can shift smoothly and won't have any AFR problems while doing so. Lastly one thing you don't want to skip is a wideband to monitor your AFR's, don't get one of those cheap crappy narrowband gauges (little light going back and forth on the gauge) they don't work well and are pretty much worthless. Get a Nice wideband with a seperate o2 sensor and have a bung welded into your exhaust so you can see exactly what your AFR's are at all times, this could save your motors butt if your running way to lean or rich.

If you have any other questions about nitrous stuff let me know and I can help. I'm assuming you already know what you're doing, but another persons insight always helps haha.

BTW, for nitrous a standalone will ALWAYS be better since you can get it tuned specifically for your vehicle. It's just very costly to do it the right way and to have it tuned professionally on a dyno. If you do end up getting a standalone be sure to upgrade your fuel system also.

Cheers and good luck!

What other options are available to tune Isuzu? Any reflashing of factory ECU?

I've been looking at tuning options, looks like nothing is available lol. My preferred method of madness would be an aem fic piggyback, in a couple months I'm going to give them a call about it.

Thanks for the nitrous advice, I've got previous experience from my last truck. I'm debating fiberglassing a triple gauge pod for to repace the old radio cavity (relocated mine to the CD area). And still trying to decide what brand I want on the gauges, I used aem last time, but aeroforce even has a nifty nitrous sensor and dual dispays but I'm worried about reading the digital numbers, I really like sweeping gauges. Id like to piggyback to fuel so that I can do fine tweaking, and I'm going to start with a 25 shot and work 25 increments with goal of 100 I think.

Hopefully ill have the funds to make it happen lol

Side idea, the aem fic has a vtec output which can be configured for a 12v output. I'm debating using this as my wot switch since the fic is hooked to the tps, and I have a window switch chillin with the nitrous kit I've been adapting from my truck.

Side side note, slightly jealous of your Honda haha

Pre Alpine SC, Tone Monday had a nitrous system on his VX. You would have to access the old VX site for info on that...unfortunately all that info is lost.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I haven't used a piggy back systems '01 (back then I used HKS VPC/SAFC combo). If I can help it, I would rather avoid it

There is an eBay VX in UK, right now, that claims to have remapped ECU, I wonder how they did that?

Thanks triathlete, saw a few references to a 100 Dry shot. Guess that explains it.

Leon R, I've got experience with the neo safc from my 2g dsm and cmr stuff from my ram. However I can't find any gm tuners that will work with the vehicross, even contacted hp tuners, nothing. I'm guessing they might have one of those cheap splice in ecu chips that claim to grab 20% extra power or some bs lol. When the time comes I just hope ill be able to get my hands on the ecu wiring schematics so its not a guessing game, or so that I don't have to trace wires all the way back from their respective sensors.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Yeah I used to have an Alpine Supercharger for my Rodeo (same engine as your Vehicross, just the 3.2 instead of 3.5) and I was going to use the AEM FIC to tune it also, but never got to it. I just wanted it to be safe but a piggyback will never be near as good as a standalone. I daily drove mine so I didn't want to really go that far into it since it wasn't a weekend/play vehicle.

BTW if you're looking for things to upgrade the fuel system, there is a member by the name of Crash on planetisuzoo.com that had bigger injector kits for our engines, maybe you can PM him on there and see if he still has some. His rig is also supercharged and he is running a higher flowing fuel system and a smaller pulley on his supercharger for more boost.

Also, PM JLEMOND on planetisuzoo and ask him for the ECU wiring diagram and pinout for your VX, i'm sure he probably has it. I got one for my Rodeo from him and it helped me out a ton.

Thanks for all the info guys.
    Ill check into the wolf ecu stuff, and ill save this page for potential future contacts.

Thought I heard somewhere that our transmissions responded to a cable on the throttle body (when to shift down and whatever) anyone able to shed some light on this? Is there a cable or is the transmission ecu controlled? Could save me some money down the road. Alternatively ill go look later haha

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ABDragonVX View Post
    Thought I heard somewhere that our transmissions responded to a cable on the throttle body (when to shift down and whatever) anyone able to shed some light on this? Is there a cable or is the transmission ecu controlled? Could save me some money down the road. Alternatively ill go look later haha
    Our trans is a 4L30E...E=electronically controlled.

You must be thinking of that Rambler you had in high school.....

The power mode button on the center console raises the shift points & allows the trans to shift down to a lower gear more quickly than when in "normal" mode.

On the other side of the coin...there IS a cable that controls the throttle body...it's connected to the skinny pedal on the right side of the drivers side foot well...

And PLEASE...don't take anything I've just said personally, (specially tha "Rambler" comment) I'm a known incurable wisenheimer/ninnyhammer...

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    You must be thinking of that Rambler you had in high school.....
    Considering our OP is at the ripe old age of 22 it's more likely that his high school days included something of the Honda variety.

Oh to be 22 again, if for nothing else but to make the same mistakes all over again and enjoy doing it.