Thread: New (to me) HID source...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool New (to me) HID source...

A friend found this place & email'd me a linkee.

Looks like top shelf product, anyone used them before?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Their BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III (D2S) kit is what Jon retrofitted into the headlights he sold me. Even with a vinyl tint on, the projectors are BRIGHT. The quality is awesome and the parts are equally as awesome.
    Make it yours, but make it classy........ unless theres zombies.........thats when the gun rack goes in.

I used them for a m/c project I was working on and everything was great.

I had their Morimoto D2S Mini kit in my Rodeo, I even did a "how-to" on installing them. http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewto...254e64b6ae365e

I'm also about to re-do my retrofit, the Mini projector kits they offer are pretty much on the bottom of the chain as far as performance. I loved my D2S kit because it was much better than the stock halogen lighting, but i'd also like some more width out of my headlights (I drive on small dark highways a lot down in the Oklahoma panhandle) and it would come in handy. So i'm going to do a "real" retrofit and put some OEM Infinity FX35/45 bi-xenon projectors in, these will require cutting of the reflector and permanent mounting with JB Weld.

All in all, if you'd like better performance out of your headlights and don't want to permanently mod them, then the Mini kits are good. If you want the best performance possible you'd need to install some nice OEM or FX-R projectors and permanently cut/mount them.

There is also a debate on which to get, the Mini D2S or the Mini H1. The MH1 5.0 performs just a tad better than the D2S, but with the D2S you can run OEM bulbs which isn't possible for the MH1 projectors. It's also safer to run their 50w ballast in the D2S than it is the MH1, the MH1's can be damaged while the D2S will hold up a lot better, especially if you use OEM bulbs. So they both have their pro's and cons. TRS is coming out with a new Mini D2S 3.0 sometime in the near future, but not much more info has been released on them yet.

If anyone needs help or wants info just post up and i'd be glad to help.

P.S. The Retrofit Source also owns the site www.HIDPlanet.com where you can get pretty much any info you could imagine, as well as tons of pics of outputs and such.

If you'd like to follow my current retrofit just watch my project thread. I just posted pics of some LED rings I installed on my projector shrouds, should be a cool little add on once I get everything fully installed. You may need to sign in to see some of the pics, if you don't have an account on Planetisuzoo go ahead and sign up, it's for all Isuzu's and it's a great community. If you look at the previous pics in my thread you can see the Mini D2S kit installed.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewto...365e&start=425

Cheers!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by ND92 View Post
    Their BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III (D2S) kit is what Jon retrofitted into the headlights he sold me. Even with a vinyl tint on, the projectors are BRIGHT. The quality is awesome and the parts are equally as awesome.
    All I can say is +1.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper 03 rodeo View Post
    There is also a debate on which to get, the Mini D2S or the Mini H1. The MH1 5.0 performs just a tad better than the D2S, but with the D2S you can run OEM bulbs which isn't possible for the MH1 projectors. It's also safer to run their 50w ballast in the D2S than it is the MH1, the MH1's can be damaged while the D2S will hold up a lot better, especially if you use OEM bulbs. So they both have their pro's and cons. TRS is coming out with a new Mini D2S 3.0 sometime in the near future, but not much more info has been released on them yet.
    Cheers!
    Agree'd

Another difference to consider is foreground lighting. The D2S has plenty of foreground lighting where the Mh1 purposely blocks light from illuminating the ground so it can get more distance (it does). I read about several owners with lifted trucks unhappy with MH1 because there's a dark void in front of the truck. How much does this matter...

Yes the MH1 5.0 has a pretty agressive foreground limiter on them, but it can be removed. The Mini D2S does not have any kind of limiter on them. A foreground limiter is suppost to block the light right in front of the vehicle so your eyes will focus in the distance instead of right in front of you, thus making it seem like the projectors have more throw. It does not increase light output though. I'm not a fan of how aggressive the H1 5.0's limiter is either, I actually like having some light right in front of me. With the limiters on a higher truck it sort of feels like your driving in the air since it's dark directly in front of the truck, I like some forground lighting and with a 35w HID kit it's not bad, especially with a lifted vehicle.