Thread: Can't find a Serpentine Idler Pulley

Can't find a Serpentine Idler Pulley

Anyone had any luck finding the right sized Inner Diamater Idler Pulley for the Serpentine belt? Napa, Autozone, O'Reilley, Car Quest, all reference a 38008 item number which has a much larger ID than the OEM one.

I'm even having a hell of a time finding a bearing replacement to pop the old one out instead!

You may not want to go 'used' on this particular part but at least it'd get you back on the road till you find your ultimate fix.

This guy in this post might be able to get you the part (he's already pulled the fan & clutch for me so it should be simple for him to pull):

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...1&postcount=57
    Last edited by tom4bren : 02/04/2013 at 10:53 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I just bought an Autozone idler pulley the other day and also realized it doesn't fit. I wonder how much an OEM pulley would cost? The autozone pulley was only $12.99

I got one from rockauto! Dayco part number 89015, it was $9.01 plus shipping! It is plastic not metal, it comes with a bushing you have to use, and i had to put a washer between it and the factory/bolt washer combo because it rubbed! Its been working for 500 miles so far!

Finally ordered one from advance auto. 3 day delivery. $18.99 + $6 shipping
    Dayco 89184

This one diesnt need the spacer bushing and has the correct 12mm ID bearing

Thanks for the help all

Mike
    Last edited by mcaramb : 02/04/2013 at 11:51 AM Reason: Left off anumber

would I be wrong to guess the one from a 3.2 Honda Passport would be the same?
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

I had the same issue. I got lucky on mine and am good friends with a machinist. I just had him turn out a bushing to fill the gap on the new idler. The thought to remove the new idlers bearing, find a bearing that would work, and press it in also crossed my mind but that seemed like a time consumer.

I ordered mine from lehman isuzu in florida $88.00 got it in 3 days expensive yes but it's the metal oem.Worth it to me.

Been there, done that

I just replaced my idler pulley. I spent one day running between parts stores just to find the same: The one referenced for the 1999 Vehicross has the ID too big, and the pulley is made of a flimsy plastic.

At Autozone they seem to have one with a smaller ID for the 2001 model, but I couldn't try it because they (nor any other parts store visited for that matter) didn't have it in stock, and it'd take 3-4 days for them to get it.

I decided to buy the original pulley from St. Charles Isuzu @ $77.31 shipping included. Granted, is waaaay more expensive than those from the parts stores, but it features an all-metal pulley, it comes will all the hardware including metal cover plate, bolt, spacer, and washer, and it has the right ID.

As many said before, when it comes to our beloved VX you can't beat using original parts.

Quote Originally Posted by migil View Post
    I just replaced my idler pulley. I spent one day running between parts stores just to find the same: The one referenced for the 1999 Vehicross has the ID too big, and the pulley is made of a flimsy plastic.

At Autozone they seem to have one with a smaller ID for the 2001 model, but I couldn't try it because they (nor any other parts store visited for that matter) didn't have it in stock, and it'd take 3-4 days for them to get it.

I decided to buy the original pulley from St. Charles Isuzu @ $77.31 shipping included. Granted, is waaaay more expensive than those from the parts stores, but it features an all-metal pulley, it comes will all the hardware including metal cover plate, bolt, spacer, and washer, and it has the right ID.

As many said before, when it comes to our beloved VX you can't beat using original parts.
    Serpentine belt Idler pulley: 36026 Fits the vx but, is made for a 2000 saturn LS 4cylinder :made in germany.Brand: gates. It's an all metal pulley cost about fifty bones.

Does anyone know if the pulley threads are normal or reversed?

I ordered one from autozone and swapped out the pulley from the original to the new. It was the baerings that were bad, pulley was fine.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hey all, sorry to resurrect an old thread. I just ran into this problem. Closest part I could find up in Canada was a continental pulley from partsource part # 49086. I think it's an idler pulley for a Toyota V8. It was the only one I could find that had the correct inner and outer diameter and correct number of ribs (6) for our serpentine belts. It Does have a shoulder or lip whereas the originals don't but it doesn't appear to affect performance as the pulley is held away from the block by the original bushing and washer. 100 miles on it and so far, so good. The best part? No cold morning squealies 👍

--------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...