Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3.8L Series II w/ SC swap?

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753

3.8L Series II w/ SC swap?

Just dreaming at this point but I think it would be super cool to swap in a GM 3.8 series II. It is a really well regarded engine and can produce plenty of power. I've been reading up on a couple of swaps involving these into a Toyota and even an Amigo although both with Toyota transmissions. Will the AR5 bolt up to this engine? Or would a different bell housing be needed? I know this was talked about a number of years back but I think most people sided with using a northstar. What are the pros and cons?
    You could even source a Holden supercharger for it so the intake would fit:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/holden-co...#ht_500wt_1414
    As for the AR5 being rated at 260ft/lbs that is really only based on existing application and not a true rating. So who know what it can actually handle as for the 4l30E we know it is a weak link.

Instead of the supercharged version, I could just take the engine out of my Grand National, but I think we may have issues with the torque.

my uncle who sold used cars for 35+ years always said the gm (buick) 3.8l was one of the most reliable engines ever produced

Anybody know if our transmissions will bolt up to one?
    Agreed that even the NA would be a worthy upgrade.

No, it will not. Buick 3.8 would require an adapter, but they do make them. We should be able to use the same adapter that Fiero's use to adapt Buick engines. Basically anything that works for Fiero's should work for us (same engine bolt pattern) and there are dozens of engine swap for those cars.

I can't wait to start seeing some of the new model v6 ecoboosts from the f150 in the scrap yards! Look like a good fit, 300+ hp stock and I am sure there will be a ton of aftermarket.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Ford ECOTEC is a great engine, but it would be especially difficult to adapt to Isuzu...

Reviving my old thread.

I'm still in the just thinking about it stage. But here's what I think could work. Take a SC 3000 Series II from a FWD along with it's wiring harness. Get a supercharger from a Holden in Australia since it has a inlet that wraps back around to the front which should eliminate firewall clearance issues. Keep my 5spd but dump the TOD transfer case for an earlier Amigo one per Buffy's setup.
    I was reading an old thread in a different forum about the guy in AZ that swapped one into an Amigo. I'm sure a few of you know him. His build was very custom machine shop and welding intensive though. My preference would be to use as many off the shelf, or more appropriately, out of the junkyard parts. Borrowing parts of the Camaro RWD setup such as headers and accessory brackets.
    I have 170k on my 3.5 now and no real problems except the usual oil usage. I'm just looking forward. At some point the engine will go and then what? Another 3.5 or a 3.2? Not a great platform with dwindling support, few performance options, and no tuning options. V8 options are a possibility, the easiest probably being the Northstar or Shortstar. This wouldn't be a bad way to go but head gasket problems on these are common and very expensive. I just like the idea of bulletproof SC V6 with lots of support and performance options.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

I keep going back and forth between turbocharging 3.5 or LS4 swap... I really do not see any other options that make sense.
    96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)

But since you can't tune our ECU doesn't that mean you have to limit the boost? Also, if you do any 4 wheeling a supercharger would be more desirable for low RPM torque. And of course that doesn't address our other issues with oil consumption and lack of new replacement parts.
    I don't know much about the LS4, I think you should do that swap and create a tutorial

I just installed a SC on mine. still needs tuning... a lot... but I took it off roading and I halfto say. felt like a rally car. zipping through the turns.

Who said you can't do tuning? Check out AEM-FIC

I already have one....

1. I do not do any 4 wheeling
    2. If I did, I would STILL use a turbo! Just a smaller one, for quicker spool!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon R View Post
    Who said you can't do tuning? Check out AEM-FIC

I already have one....

1. I do not do any 4 wheeling
    2. If I did, I would STILL use a turbo! Just a smaller one, for quicker spool!
    did u supercharge ure vx?

I personally would love to do such a swap one day, but until she is over 20 years old, my options are very limited because of MD state inspection regs.

I would love to rescue a totaled WRX or STi, lighten the VX, swap the veins, brains, and guts, and then tune her to high heaven. This is all reliant on me winning tonight's Mega Millions though.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by 44ficus44 View Post
    did u supercharge ure vx?
    Did you really just asked me that? I thought I made it perfectly clear, that I prefer turbochargers to supercharger!

But I suspect that like most people, you do not bother with the destitution between turbo vs super chargers.

I have not yet turbocharged my VX. I have to complete two other car projects (converting my Eclipse Spyder from FWD - Auto to AWD - 5sp manual and then installing 4G63 Mitsu engine in Triumph TR7) before I can undertake the turbo VX project. But I started collecting the parts and AEM FIC is the first step in my "master plan".

And as I have said, I am often tempted with the LS4 conversion... But that will only happen if someone develops (and sells) a good starter mount option.

As far SMOG is concerned, forced induction is easier to pull off than LS4 swap, but in Mass, that is only a concern for another 2 years. After 15 years, they stop checking OBD2 codes, so you can get away with almost anything