Thread: HELP..with Hi Power Wi-Fi please.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

HELP..with Hi Power Wi-Fi please.

So...I am looking for a high powered...long range..Wi-Fi sender for my house.

The one I have now gives basic signal to back of property/garage...say 150Ft.

Can anyone recommend a good unit that sends a strong signal ..
    ....through several walls etc??

Don't want to spend a fortune, but need to upgrade it from basic reception for sure.

Thanks

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have pulled approx 100ft with an Apple Airport Express. It picks up the signal and redistributes/extendes it.

Jo who is your Internet Provider? If its a phone company I know some of them will give you a trial basis range extender for free. If its Att Pm me and I will see what I can do or find out for you.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Cool..

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    I have pulled approx 100ft with an Apple Airport Express. It picks up the signal and redistributes/extendes it.
    ...so a plug in repeater/booster of sorts?

jo

Robert...

Quote Originally Posted by Dumke View Post
    Jo who is your Internet Provider? If its a phone company I know some of them will give you a trial basis range extender for free. If its Att Pm me and I will see what I can do or find out for you.
    ....I'm with Road Runner/Time Warner.

Maybe I should talk to them..

Jo

hi power wifi doesn't exist for home use. If you think about it, your computer would also need to have a high power transmitter to get the signal back to the base station. The best way to extend range is to use something called a 'repeater.' Apple airport expresses are easy to set up in this mode. Other routers can also be set up as repeaters. They act as nodes that can communicate with your main router and effectively extend the range of your wifi.

Your best bet is to get one (or more) used apple expresses from ebay. It is pretty straight forward to set this up. I would rate it much much easier than changing the front CV boot or wheel bearings =). About as hard as a change of plugs.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Motorola definately has the best wireless router if your just looking for a good strong signal router.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Funny I can pick up your wi-fi from like 2 blocks away.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    So...I am looking for a high powered...long range..Wi-Fi sender for my house.
    TL;DR: get an router with a removable antenna, and replace that antenna with a directional one of the correct size.

The power problem is somewhat difficult (and maybe illegal) to solve. So, what you do instead is shape the signal. In the same what that you use reflectors to adjust your lighting instruments, you use antennas to shape radio coverage.

The simplest antennas send out a signal in what is mostly a sphere. No matter what direction you are from the router, you get more or less the same power. Think of a bare light bulb sitting on a stand. This is often not what you want, since that means you're wasting some of your energy straight up into space, and some is just going right down into the earth.

If you're able to redirect that wasted energy in a more useful direction, then you're getting 'gain'. If you go to the store and buy an omni-directional WiFi antenna, you'll get a stick that tries to send signal out in a flattened circle. Think of holding a collapsible reflector above your light bulb on a stand. Less light on the ceiling, more on your subject.

The next step is to get a yagi or beam antenna. These have a center boom with three or more wires coming out the side. These are much more directional. So you'd aim it towards your garage. The side effect is that ... well, you lose the side effects: The coverage gets much worse to the sides of the antenna. Think of putting your light bulb in a PAR can or a fresnel. You've now got a pretty big spot of light, but it isn't very controlled. (BTW, search for 'cantenna' for fun things to do with a wifi router and a Pringles can.)

The next option is to use a dish antenna. These are extremely directional, and you'll only get a decent signal right in front of the antenna. Think of using your light bulb in an ellipsoidal. You've now got a spotlight that will put a lot of light in a small place, but you can't light up the rest of the room.

Hi all..

Thanks for all the input advice.

I talked to TW...they have a new wi-fi set up they are gonna let me try

So..I'll give that a go.

Thanks again

Jo

The open space / distance is the least of worries. The Apple Airport express can go 80 feet on a clear day. if your walls are brick or more dense it kills your range.

We use Cisco WAP in our warehouse and work and they cover some serious distance, but they are a bit on the high side price wise, around $500....

Bart