Thread: windows no longer binding

windows no longer binding

Haven't bin on or posted in awhile (which means shes running good) But had a good experience with binding and thought i'd share...So good ole graphite fixed both my windows they couldn't have bin any worse. Got so used to driving with my knee while putting windows up, I've had to catch myself a bunch of times now. Bought it at the key/lock section of depot/lowes forget which one it was awhile back but jus got around to using it. It was only a couple of bucks, came in a small tube squeeze applicator a little bigger that a crazy glue tube. I did pull the panel off to really get it in n up n down the whole track (also replaced my broken electric lock mecanizm w/the working one from parts car wehhew)2/3 weeks later now n still rockn n rolln!! Boy a little bit sure goes a long way w/that stuff! And the best part no mess, no smell, not even any cursing this time...hope this share helps out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]the 2nd mouse gets da cheese

GTK

I was going to use graphite on mine in the past but:

1. I couldn't find my supply that day

2. I thought the lithium grease would last longer than graphite.

I'm interested to see how often you need to re-apply so keep us posted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Most bike shops also carry it

Thanks for the tip!

If you search you will find others havw uaed graphite in the past. It is a good temperary fix but the problem returns.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

well its probably bin close to a month now and no probs yet, here in upstate NY we've had several 5/6 inches of da white stuff, a bunch of freeze thaws, rain, condinsation and its now bin single digits over night for a few n i keep thinkn it'll start binding but to no avail! and for da few bucks it cost to keepit right inda pouch for when/if it does... prob solved for me!

I had the same issue, but silicon spray works perfectly fine after I lube up the glass channel, possible not a permanent fix but is been good for 8 months.

Silicone is a fine window lube. Yes, repeat twice a year. Both our '99's have never had a problem with this solution, which I learned about here years ago.

Here's a tip for ya' RE: Silicone - Go to a Scuba Dive Shop and buy yourself some "Dive Silicone" in the aerosol can - look for McGraw; it's in a green can w/a black top. Why? It's 100% "Food Grade Silicone". What does THAT mean? Well, for one, it means you can eat it, LOL! Beyond that, it is 100% PURE SILICONE - nothing ELSE! It repels, does not ATTRACT - water, like MOST other lubricants (read: WD-40). There is NOTHING BETTER for your weatherstripping - I run it all over mine twice/year, and all my weatherstripping is still like new! Door hinges, and everywhere you get a squeak - excess just wipes off; won't hurt ANYTHING! Been using it for 45 years now - it's one of my "Magic Elixirs"!

Further tip: When you buy it, you'll notice that it has the "wrong" nozzle on it, in that the nozzle won't accept a plastic "hose" extension. Dig around amongst all your other aerosol cans for a nozzle that both DOES accept one of those red hoses AND that extends down into the can. Once you replace the nozzle with one of those, you're good to go!

WD-40 doesn't attract water, in fact the WD stands for Water Displacement. It's great for drying out electronics and machinery.

It can, however, attract dirt and dust over time, which is why it is not recommended for lubricating guns and such, and probably isn't the best for window mechanisms.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Graphite still doing its job!

I keep a can of White Lithium Greased Lightening in my center console.. any time a window starts to give me problems, I squirt it down inside front & back of weather stripping.. whalla.. wipe off any drips.. couple weeks it lasts..
    driving anything other than my Proton makes me want to puke