Thread: how to add transmission fluid

how to add transmission fluid

i drained fluid from the pan and now need to know how to refill it. i assummed there was a dipstick, but now i see that there is a filler drain right next to it. How do i fill the fluid into there? i only drained about 4 quarts also. PLEASE HELP

...the tranny fluid was a b*tch to do....you have to pump it in from a bolt...it should say on the manual if u still have it....when i did mine it took me a good 1/2 an hour of pumping before i got 4 quarts in....
    ________
    DOLL._SQUIRT
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 02:10 PM

PLEASE respond so i will have a car to drive tomorrow

what eactly do you have to use and how. right now i have a pump that connects to the transmission fluid bottle, but the end that the fluid comes out has a plastic thing that is to big to fit up into the fill hole. i tried to pump some into the bottom of the hole but it just drained back out

theres a smaller bolt on teh pan....you are suppose to pump it into the smaller bolt hole until its full....it should be like 3 quarts or soemthing...then start the car and pump the rest of the tranny fluid in...
    ________
    The Cliff Condos
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 02:10 PM

Just changed my tranny fluid this weekend... oddly enough the old tranny fluid was just as clean as the stuff I put in.... oh well - at least I know it's changed.

I had the same problem. Owner's manual says take it to the dealer for a tranny fluid change, but all you have to do is go to AutoZone and buy a Suction Pump. It was marked as $34.99, but when I got to the register the dude said "$10.49, sir"... Can't complain.

Anyway, yeah the end is the same size as the hole, but get a friend to pump the ATF while you hold the end of the tube as flush against the overflow drain as you can. I think we drained maybe 4 qts or so from both the tranny AND the transfer case. As for the amount to fill, just keep fillin' til it overflows. Then start up the truck, shift through the gears a bit... get it all "up in 'dere"... turn it off, open the overflow, fill it some more... etc.. until you get in as much as you took out. I plan to go 'down below' again probably this afternoon with a cup and open that overflow just to let anything else that wants to drain drain If i'm not mistaken, you can cause damage if your tranny sump is too full. Only thing that sucks is the fact that you lose a bit of tranny fluid -- no big deal unless like me you paid almost $100 for the ATF case!

While we're on the subject of fluids, i believe there's a drain for the rear diff, but what about the front? seem to recall someone saying the drain is just the lowest bolt?
    Do they ever stop looking?

It's true. The front diff drain is the lowest bolt.

rock on dallas

No, YOU rock on my friend...

This might help... Tranny and Diff Gallery
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Question

The pictures on the link are nice, my problem is the transfer case. I got the transmission flush and fill, but does that include the transfer case? If not, I need instructions on how to do that...