Thread: jdm tod problem ?

jdm tod problem ?

Hi Guys, As a proud owner of a new (98) VX, I may have a probem, or maybe i'm just being stupid. When I put the selecter into the middle position, between 2 and 4 wd, where I think it should activate the TOD, nothing happens (at least as far as I can tell). None of the TOD lights illuminate, and I can't feel or hear any difference.
    Am I doing something wrong ?, if not, is it likely to be just that the lights arn't coming on ?, or is the TOD not engaging? If it's a fault, what should I look for. The 4wd seems to engage fine, although it's a lot noisier than 2wd.
    Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
    P.S. Does TOD affect the fuel milage ?
    Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,
    To select the TOD system the lever is pushed forward. On mine, the "auto" light (in the centre of the TOD display) flashes a few times and then stays on. Representing the front wheels is a bar of 3 seperate lights. Usually none of these are lit until the system detects a lack of traction and distributes drive to the front wheels as required and illuminates one, two or three bars depending on the lack of grip, (you probably know that already). There is a "check" light at the bottom of the display which should light up if there is a problem with the system. Are you sure that all the lights are working? I wouldnt say that my system is particularily more noisier with TOD selected than in 2WD, although it did clunk a bit when I had the front brakes binding. I guess the system thought that it was loosing grip on that wheel? I expect the TOD would affect the mileage a bit but when you dont much to the gallon anyway it doesnt make much difference!

Hope that helps a bit.
    Cheers
    Russ.

One way to know about mileage is to look at Trooper mpg versus the USA Vehicross. Whether the TOD system is off or on the mileage was statistically the same. You can take it from there.

changing the fluid in the transfer case would probably be a good idea if you have not done that already - made a huge difference in the 4low noise i was getting

Hi on a JDM your lever is like this

When you select the TOD setting you should get the following lights on the TOD display

When you drive off the top display should show a single light on each wheel - if you press the throttle pedal past the detent you will get 2 lights on each wheel and if it starts to detect slipping it will light up 3 on each side as required
    cheers
    Steve
    Isuzu Vehicross 3.2 V6 24 Valve