Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil

So one must get these rings and holes cleaned up someway short of a complete rebuild.[/QUOTE]

That's why I mentioned Marvel Mystery Oil.

Yes sir I got ya

the mystery of the oil is whether it works or not - 500 miles later and no change for me

I'd keep trying it. What do you have to lose...$4.00?

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    There's no such thing as a magic cure, that said, Marvel is not magic, nor is it a mystery. It's just a high strength petroleum detergent with good lubrication qualities. In the RC world we've used it for years to keep nitro engines from gunking-up and sticking during storage. With that knowledge in mind, I've used it for as many years in automotive, marine and motorcycle engines with satisfactory results, but no miracles...

Vixer Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    There's no such thing as a magic cure, that said, Marvel is not magic, nor is it a mystery. It's just a high strength petroleum detergent with good lubrication qualities. In the RC world we've used it for years to keep nitro engines from gunking-up and sticking during storage. With that knowledge in mind, I've used it for as many years in automotive, marine and motorcycle engines with satisfactory results, but no miracles...

Scott- Do you think this MMO would clean so well that leaks may occur when it cleans away crud/varnish,which were acting as a seal?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Sue, in my opinion, no. It is has detergent qualities but it is not harsh, I've never experienced any problems nor would I expect any. I've used Amsoil Engine Cleaner in several engines with only good results also...The "false seals" you're referring to really only show-up in high-mileage, truly dirty engines.

Sue, in my opinion, no. It is has detergent qualities but it is not harsh, I've never experienced any problems nor would I expect any. I've used Amsoil Engine Cleaner in several engines with only good results also...The "false seals" you're referring to really only show-up in high-mileage, truly dirty engines.
    Thansk Scott.
    I used Seafoam once in '09, then used the Amsoil Engine cleaner in 2011
    For my VX with 81,400k and about 4,000 miles/year, how frequent should I use these cleaners?

THe MMO sounds so good, I'm thinking of throwing a quart of that in too.

No prob Sue. As to your second question, if you change oil regularly using quality oil and filters (such as Amsoil Synthetic), you should never need to run an engine cleaner again. It's one of those things you do when you get a used vehicle and suspect or confirm that it was not properly maintained by the previous owner(s)...

Mechanical backgroud?

Assuming yes...if you buy into the benefit of MMO, what about "Motor Flush"for higher concentrated (oil-change) flushing? Seems like this would be the next level of treatment really hoping to free up engine sludge.

I'm thinking it's mosting Naptha...and you add a whole quart, idle for a few minutes, then dump....and change oil.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

An old-school trick to engine cleaning was to ad a quart of diesel fuel/fuel oil to your engine for about a half hour of run time and then pull the plug, I wouldn't recommend that trick any more. There's also alot of voodoo engine cleaners I wouldn't trust either, especially anything containing naptha, ether, toluene, acetone or anything caustic.

I guess the bottom line is if you have a really gunked-up, high mileage engine and feel you must clean it, don't be surprised if you open a can-o-worms in the process. Don't let your engine get that way and don't buy an engine that way and you should be good...and still you can have problems, there are no guarantees!! Too many forum members have done exactly the right things and still gotten burned...

I guess the bottom line is if you have a really gunked-up, high mileage engine and feel you must clean it, don't be surprised if you open a can-o-worms in the process. Don't let your engine get that way and don't buy an engine that way and you should be good...and still you can have problems, there are no guarantees!! Too many forum members have done exactly the right things and still gotten burned...
    I am with ya Scott, My VX started using more oil about 7000 miles ago it went from a quart 1000 to 1500 mile to a quart 300 to 700 miles. I figure that maybe if I add MMO now maybe I get it clean before it goes to long. I am the second owner of this car. Bought it with 56000 miles it now has 69000 miles on it. I honestly think that MMO would be not as harsh as some other engine cleaners out there. If it works I'm happy happy happy! if not I will run it till it blows. Just gotta try something

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    I'd keep trying it. What do you have to lose...$4.00?
    you are right - and it does seem to have quieted it down a bit but it could just be my imagination

It would be reasonable to assume that units still running well -- and w/o any lower ring issues -- will be aging to the point where valve seals will seep (especially at start-up). Take a good look out the back window at (cold) start-up. If you see some [light-bluish] smoke, that's probably where your oil is going.

MMO definitely won't help that. Not really convinced these high-mileage oils would provide the "magic" seal conditioner that would help valve seals either. Seems they're more for simple leaky gaskets -- which are better off replaced.