Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Well! That's why Mobil 1 invented their high mileage version (75K+). I had leaks too until I switched to this version that contains a seal improving ingredient. This type of seal technology is available by itself, but Mobil 1 does it in one convenient package. I've noticed no leaking since introducing Marvel Mystery. I'm now at 750 miles and am using less than half the oil I'd expect. I'll keep you posted.
    Hey blacksambo, Did this do the trick? I have a 2000 with 68000 mi on it and it started using more oil. But it does not use the same amount everytime. sometimes it uses a quart in 300mi and then the next time it will go 500 mi before I loose any oil. I want to give this a shot seeing how it is just starting to use oil.

I'd check your oil filler cap seal. Then your PCV valve condition, first.If those items check out give Marvel a try before your next oil change.

i dropped a quart in we'll see what happens - says to use every oil change and leave in not like seafoam where you put in a few hundred miles before changing oil but im going to change it after a few hundred anyways

I'd check your oil filler cap seal. Then your PCV valve condition, first.If those items check out give Marvel a try before your next oil change.
    Been there, Done that! Its all good or new.

Arrow

found this interesting thread (specific posts are #3 & #6):

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=357873
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Just dumped a 1/2 quart in today. Hope it works! From the sound of the other forum he had luck with MMO loosening the rings on his motor. I figure it is worth a shot, It is not any good the way it is. I have talked to a lot of people who swear by the stuff. The only thing I am not sure of is using Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic. I know I have read on here where some have been using it since VX was new. But I don't think I want too use it, I think I will stay with Castrol for now and see if consumption improves with MMO.
    Last edited by kehecross : 01/21/2013 at 06:28 PM

Synthetic I wouldn't worry about. Not using I would be concerned about as it is so far superior to standard oil. Marvel Mystery might or might not clear the sludge from the piston oil drain holes which tend to clog with the 6ve1. It's worth a shot. Our engines don't burn oil as much as pump it out through the PCV system due to internal pressure or vacuum (more correctly).

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Our engines don't burn oil as much as pump it out through the PCV system due to internal pressure or vacuum (more correctly).
    Couldn't agree more...

If oil consumtion is also being caused by pcv, Then why does it take 50,000 miles for it to show up? I would say it might be a small part of the problem. Or are you saying that because the oil holes are plugged this causes the internal pressures to force the oil out?
    Last edited by kehecross : 01/22/2013 at 09:06 AM

It takes time to plug up those pesky piston oil drain holes with sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by kehecross View Post
    If oil consumtion is also being caused by pcv, Then why does it take 50,000 miles for it to show up? I would say it might be a small part of the problem. Or are you saying that because the oil holes are plugged this causes the internal pressures to force the oil out?
    PCV's are basically installed and built-in to compensate for increasing "blow-by" as engine's age. The older they get, the more blow-by...and need for pressure equalization.

IMO, the question is whether issues with ring design is causing pre-mature blow-by....and "engagement" of the PCV function.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    PCV's are basically installed and built-in to compensate for increasing "blow-by" as engine's age. The older they get, the more blow-by...and need for pressure equalization.

IMO, the question is whether issues with ring design is causing pre-mature blow-by....and "engagement" of the PCV function.
    wow, that's interesting, I didn't know how the pcv worked.
    What would happen if the pcv valve got stuck closed?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Excessive head pressure isn't just an Isuzu thang. I had 2 MOPAR engines in the past that required constant maintenance of oil breather & PCV. They would crud up worse than a North Dakota nostril in February.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    wow, that's interesting, I didn't know how the pcv worked.
    What would happen if the pcv valve got stuck closed?
    On one of the engines I just mentioned, it caused oil to spray out of the dipstick tube. $8 & 5 minutes of labor later & I was back to 2000 miles to the quart.

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post

Question answered!!! If the oil rings are getting gunked up and are sticking inside the groove that would aid in the added blow by (although they are just a scrapper and as far as I know they do not add that much to compression.) So as I said in previous post I did change out the PCV and had no change in oil consumtion. The PCV can only do so much. So one must get these rings and holes cleaned up someway short of a complete rebuild.