Thread: TOD and/or Transmission in need of help!!!!

TOD and/or Transmission in need of help!!!!

I have done my due diligence and tried searching other threads for similar problems, to no avail. I have had my VX for 3 years now and have been only been able to enjoy it for maybe a year, so desperately need some help or incite please.

Long story short : Had the engine block replaced(new) went to pick it up and it drove perfect! I don't have any kids (that I know of) and I would have to compare driving it for the first time for over a year as holding my first child. I love my VX! The next day while driving it I started hearing a rubbing/taping/knocking noise. First instinct was to expect the worse.

Took it back to the shop and they did all the checks and we came to a conclusion that it was not coming the block. So we then took it a transmission shop. In park and engine revving the noise is not present. It is only when in gear and warmed up it is more pronounced. It sounds as if the noise is coming from the bell-housing area.

Upon taking it for a spin around the blocks, I noticed that the TOD was not working properly. The front bars were not lighting up properly if at all. It did feel as if the VX had less guts than before. Taking off from a light they would not light up no matter how hard I punched it. It shifts fine just, but feels a bit gutless. Again, there appears to not be a problem with the engine area.

So in conclusion.
    TOD does not work properly. Knocking noise from the bell housing area. Still drive-able, even at highway speeds its smooth just no acceleration and FWD apparently. I am thinking that when putting it all back together that they did not connect the transmission properly or something to that affect. The transmission shop(just south of San Antonio, TX) said that its the 2nd VX he has ever seen. So not sure what he'll tell me.

Any ideas would be awesome before I get to paying him to tear it apart. Thanks

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    I don't have any suggestions for what the root cause may be. I do however recommend having a different shop pull the tranny. Take many pictures to document what may become a lawsuit against the first shop. Also, have a written report from the tranny shop explaining the problem and probable cause. With this in hand the first shop may be more likely to do the right thing and make good on the problems they caused.
    Good Luck,
    Scott

Is the knocking consistent and rhythmic? It could be that the TOD system isn't completely connected. I know that when I had a spare tire on my VX, the TOD system would kick in and it was like a rhythmic clunk every second like clunk...1...clunk...2...clunk....3.... etc.

Are all tires equal size, equal wear, equal air pressure? Just something basic to check before going to the extremes...the tod system can be very tempermental.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

OP was saying that the TOD system doesn't even activate though... I was thinking maybe it's not connected and just making that clicking noise because it's trying to activate.

the TOD green lights shouldnt be on until you get up to about 10mph or unless the rear wheels start slipping on takeoff - does the TOD say "auto"? in green?

I had a Rodeo that was making a noise, turned out that one of the torque converter bolts was lose and hitting the block while it was spinning.
    Owner Darlington Offroad Racing and Manufacturing

I may have forgotten how the TOD works. Were they all lit up once you are above a certain MPH? I recall correctly one bare would light up per a certain mph or acceleration and once you were above "X"mph they would stay on? Regardless, I had only seen one bar light up for a second and turn back off. Upon starting it and driving for a few mins the noise is not present, nor are the TOD FWD lights, then as it warms up is when the noise comes. I would say that it is a bit "rhythmic" in a sense.

The biggest problem(other than its troubles) is that it is in TX and Im now in CA.... I will have my father check out all y'alls suggestions and I really appreciate them guys.

I am almost at the point.... to sell.... and start over.
    Thanks again.

just my 2 cents….

~Winter switch engaged? would cause sluggishness off line.
    ~In 4 Lo maybe?
    ~DOUBLE check what triathlete said…are all 4 tires, same brand, model, equal wear, equal PSI? Any of these being different has been known to cause TOD to make all kinds of weird noises. TOD wants all 4 tires to be approximately same circumference.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

at very slow speeds TOD should be off - when you get going two bars should stay on unless you come to a stop - the rear wheels losing traction is the only reason any more lights would ever come on - at normal speeds two should remain on all the time (unless almost stopped then no lights) letting you know you are in AWD (4HI)