Thread: ABS Unit - I can't believe this worked!

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753

Wrench ABS Unit - My Fix Didn't Work After All!

So, I purchased my VX with the ABS light on steady. I didn't really care too much as I'm not a huge fan of ABS anyway. The PO told me he read the codes and thought it was one of the front wheel sensors. After reading up on how to read the ABS codes I jumpered out pins 12 and 4 on the OBI connector and was able to read the codes as 43 and 44. Both of these are related to the FR Solenoid Valve(s) not one of the wheel sensors.
    This indicates an issue in the ABS control unit and since someone on Ebay fixes these I came to a few conclusions:

1.) If someone is repairing these then it is probably an electro-mechanical problem since no one is going to be component troubleshooting.
    b.) Since the ABS unit works by pulsing solenoids in the hydraulic system the problem probably resides in the connection to the solenoid coil but not the coil itself. Again, because this guy is fixing them.
    III.) Since he claims that his fix is permanent it seems logical that he has found one particular weak point and is going in and replacing fragile wires with beefier ones.

After the difficult removal of the ABS control part as described by others in this forum I began trying to disassemble the unit. This proved more difficult than I anticipated. I tried cracking loose the 'D' shaped cover that hides the processing board without success. I tried using a heat gun... Nope. Finally I just cut it off flush to the case it's attached to. This exposed the board which is covered in goo/slime and there are VERY fine wires that come from each solenoid and soldered to the board via tiny SMD pads. I carefully cleaned off the goo along the connector and the area on the board that the wires attach to and in the process broke a few off the board. I suspect that the one that controls the FR was already broken. I then used a few strands of fine wire twisted and tinned to replace the original wires and soldered them in place.

Now I should mention that I have been trained in SMD soldering techniques but... It was a long time ago, I never used the skills I learned, I don't have any SMD soldering equipment, and I didn't have a good magnifier. So, I used a regular soldering iron with a too fat tip and a little plastic magnifier from a glasses repair kit. Not ideal tools to say the least.

Once finished I left the cover off and re-installed the ABS controller and fired up the car. The ABS light went out after it's self test! I can't believe that worked! I fully expect it to fail again so I'll keep you guys posted but under the right conditions with the appropriate tools I can see this fix working. I just wonder how Ebay guy gets the cover off on the ones he fixes. That and the bottom left torx screw the holds the unit are the stumbling blocks.

Here are a couple of photos of my fine craftsmanship

This is rotated so that it appears in the same orientation as it would be on the car. If you can zoom in you may see the two ultra fine wires that I left in place.

This shot shows the 'D' shaped cover that I cut off.

Cheers,
    Scott
    Last edited by bartmanS4 : 11/23/2012 at 10:32 AM Reason: Correction

THAT IS AWESOME!!!

Keep us posted!
    ---------

Ty

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    You're truely a brave man scott!

I have been soldering for years, and im not sure i would even try to tackle screwing with the braking system on my vehicle. Hats off to you!

Im glad it worked out for you.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Thanks Guys. It was really a no harm, no foul situation since the unit wasn't working anyway. I figured if I destroyed it then I would just be back to square one. Albeit, without a repairable control unit.

How do you plan on replacing the "D" shaped cover that was cut off??
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

I just used the cover and RTV'd it back in place.

Nice work...and great work if you can get it. Somewhat easy money for that Ebay rebuilder I'd think.

Reminds me of the flat screen I repaired for my friend recently. Wouldn't turn on, and Best Buy was talking $200 before even looking at it. $15 in Radio Shack capacitors later...back in business. Such repairs used to offer a reasonable way to make a few bucks until everything started going towards more of the disposable route.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Nice work...and great work if you can get it. Somewhat easy money for that Ebay rebuilder I'd think.

Reminds me of the flat screen I repaired for my friend recently. Wouldn't turn on, and Best Buy was talking $200 before even looking at it. $15 in Radio Shack capacitors later...back in business. Such repairs used to offer a reasonable way to make a few bucks until everything started going towards more of the disposable route.
    Ain't it the truth!

Clever! Why don't you go into fixing these devils for your VX buddies? I'd sure rather pay you.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Clever! Why don't you go into fixing these devils for your VX buddies? I'd sure rather pay you.
    Well, I'm not very confident in this "repair". I'm confident in the theory but not the execution. To do this right you would need a better way to crack the case, a static safe work area, an SMD soldering station w/ magnifier, a better method for removing the dielectric goo, a number of units to practice on etc...
    Oh yeah, and ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    yeah, but it's hard to beat the "lifetime warranty"......all for $77.....and your hands stay clean ()

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    Well, I'm not very confident in this "repair". I'm confident in the theory but not the execution. To do this right you would need a better way to crack the case, a static safe work area, an SMD soldering station w/ magnifier, a better method for removing the dielectric goo, a number of units to practice on etc...
    Oh yeah, and ambition.
    I saw you said the ABS light went off, but have you tried to activate the actual ABS function?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I saw you said the ABS light went off, but have you tried to activate the actual ABS function?
    Hey Sue,

No, I haven't got it out of the garage yet. I agree, that will be the real test. Even if it doesn't work at least the ABS light is off. LOL

Update. It didn't work after all.

So I finally got the VX out on some dirt and was able to lockup the brakes. So, the fix did not work. The ABS light does not come on at all anymore so I'm gonna just leave it alone now. I mentioned earlier that I don't really like ABS that much anyway so no big deal. I started out with a VX without ABS, with an ABS warning light, and a rebuildable ABS controller. Now I have a VX without ABS, no warning light, a non-rebuildable ABS controller, and some knowledge. So it's pretty much a wash. I do still think the troubleshooting and diagnosis is fairly solid but my execution was sorely lacking. Oh well...
    FWIW I think if you want yours rebuilt the guy that does them through Ebay offers a good value.
    Last edited by bartmanS4 : 11/23/2012 at 10:33 AM Reason: removed line