Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stock 18" to 15" Wheels

Stock 18" to 15" Wheels

I have, in the past, always gone up in wheel diameter. Never down any sizes. My question is, has anyone with a '00 or '01 that come with 18" stock wheels ever gone down to a 15" wheel? I haven't measured anything yet because I'm searching for a wheel lock key so I can take the tire off and check it out, but has anyone had a problem fitting a 15" rim on? Just curious about fitment in relation to the brakes...

If there is already a thread for this and I missed it I apologize and let me know.

Thanks!

--Stevil--

Stock 2001 Proton #0480

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I have 15" rims on my 99 VX and they fit fine. The brakes/suspension are indentical on every VX 99-01.

I would still check to make sure you have clearance before buying unless you go with the same rims Eftren & I have. I believe the rear wheels are very close to the rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I have 15" rims on my 99 VX and they fit fine. The brakes/suspension are indentical on every VX 99-01.

I would still check to make sure you have clearance before buying unless you go with the same rims Eftren & I have. I believe the rear wheels are very close to the rotor.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
    "The Marines have landed and the situation is well in hand."

No problem, what rims are you installing?

I'm not sure yet to be honest..It was just a thought I had while I was looking at rims and tires. I'm open for suggestions. I'm not so sure I want 18" wheels. In my humble opinion it just looks like too much wheel..Of course, mine is stock so I'm still running the 245/60/18 so I'm not surprised that it looks funky. I like the bigger sidewall and the more off-road look. I might even go with 33x12.5x17 on a lift, who knows. Yours is pretty nasty(in a good way, of course) looking!

I agree, you don't want the rubber band look on an SUV. I went with 15" rims for offroading and tire price. My tires would have been $400 each if I had 18" rims- I paid $210/tire. Additionally, when I had 33" tires on alloy 17" rims, the rims started getting chewed up from rocks.

...but I do like bigger rims, 15" rims just made the most sense for my setup.

Good luck with the search.

I know that someone here had an issue with a 15" Nissan wheel rubbing on the control arms and they had to be shaved down a small amount

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    I had 15" yota 6-spoke wheels on mine, no issues. Slight bit of offset, but certainly less than offroad style wheels.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post

Mine are 15" too but I was never sure if the brake clearance issue was avoided by the offset or not. Now I know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

3.75 backspace...

That is what I have on my 15x8 rims. I had originally put steel Tech 1 Rock Crawlers on, but now I have Dick Cepek DC1s.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil6531 View Post
    I'm searching for a wheel lock key
    I don't have an answer to your rim questions, but I did have a tire shop take my old wheel locks off for me when I lost my wheel lock key. The tool they use "bites" into the key so it ends up making them unusable, but I had new keys to install anyway. If you can't find a key, and you have to get the wheels off, stop by your nearest tire shop and I bet they can help you out. The tire shop that I went to didn't even charge me to remove the keys since it was such a quick thing for them to do.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

To avoid trimming cladding...

I would recommend 15x7 inch rims, and a 29" tire. I went with 31" tires, and needed to trim the cladding on my VX.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    I would recommend 15x7 inch rims, and a 29" tire. I went with 31" tires, and needed to trim the cladding on my VX.
    I think he's planning on doing a lift.
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

Yeah I think I'm going to do a 3in lift and try out 33s. We'll see. I'm just shopping around right now. I want to wait to use my bonus to do it and I don't get that until early next year. Are the lifts fairly easy to install? Never done that either..

I know, I know... I'm a newbie..Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil6531 View Post
    Yeah I think I'm going to do a 3in lift and try out 33s. We'll see. I'm just shopping around right now. I want to wait to use my bonus to do it and I don't get that until early next year. Are the lifts fairly easy to install? Never done that either..

I know, I know... I'm a newbie..Haha
    We're all newbies, lol. It depends which lift you will choose. There are two: The suspension lift (easy), the body lift (difficult). The suspension lift requires replacing the rear coil springs and adjusting the front torsion bars. The body lift requires removing the body bolts and adding spacers. This sounds simple but there are posts in this forum that go into more detail.