Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: RADO's Off Road Rig- Build Thread

The wrap look good! Would like to do it to mine to cover up the crappy paint but for the cost I could just get it repainted. Wont even try to do a wrap myself. I suck at that kind of thing and it would look horrible.
    --Dave

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I like the idea removing the roof rack and making a mount like Justin did on his old VX. Then height really wouldn't be an issue.
    That's exactly what I was thinking about after my first post, I actually spent a while digging on the site for his install details but couldn't find it anywhere.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
    The wrap look good! Would like to do it to mine to cover up the crappy paint but for the cost I could just get it repainted. Wont even try to do a wrap myself. I suck at that kind of thing and it would look horrible.
    Thanks Dave. I'll give you a hand if you ever want to give it a shot. Maybe on the Volvo...

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking about after my first post, I actually spent a while digging on the site for his install details but couldn't find it anywhere.
    I found it in the how-to section under accessories. I forgot he had lights mounted on the rack that looked pretty good. Maybe something to consider for your rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Rad...do you have pics/info on your tank lift. I don't recal seeing anything about it before...or my memory is failing me (as it often does).
    Gas tank lift. I used some metal pipe and cut it to size for longer bolts to lift the tank. The hardest part was having to cut the driver's side mount off and weld it back on with the gas tank above it.

I lifted it before Moab last year and didn't have time to fit the skid plate. I ended up putting a huge dent in the tank on cliff hanger. I have since fitted the skid plate...oops.

Update on the roof basket...

I decided to pull the trigger on a Rola cargo basket.

Looks good, 5" tall, good price and positive reviews. It only cost $184 shipped from etrailer.com and the quality is suppose to be pretty good (according to the reviews).

http://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Cargo-C...ola/59504.html

I'll update with pics once I get the rack.

Do you have any issues catching your cladding now. I think if I was to do this I would trim the back cladding and fab a new skid plate (weld it to the existing plate) that would exstend out to the cladding.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Do you have any issues catching your cladding now. I think if I was to do this I would trim the back cladding and fab a new skid plate (weld it to the existing plate) that would exstend out to the cladding.
    Ive been trying to talk Jon into helping me weld up a little, skid plate/rear bumper combo to protect the gas tank, and keep that spare tire from catching up on big ledges.

Any interest on that yet Jon?
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

No I haven't had any problems hitting the cladding but I have scraped the frame which is exposed from the body lift. I have plans to make some kind of bumper/skid plate to help protect the cladding and tire. I'm really worried about smacking the rear tire on a drop off and tweaking the back door.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Ive been trying to talk Jon into helping me weld up a little, skid plate/rear bumper combo to protect the gas tank, and keep that spare tire from catching up on big ledges.

Any interest on that yet Jon?
    You've boggled my mind Jack, are you talking about the VX or 4runner?

I have caught my cladding on some bigger ledges and a few of the lower screws have ripped through.
    I think if you welded a plate over the existing tank skid that was bent up slightly to fit to just under the lip of the cladding with a piece that extends out under your spare. Maybe bend some 1.5 inch tubing around the tire part extending out to the corners of the skid to reinforce it and form a sort of bumper.

I have caught my cladding on some bigger ledges and a few of the lower screws have ripped through.
    I think if you welded a plate over the existing tank skid that was bent up slightly to fit to just under the lip of the cladding with a piece that extends out under your spare. Maybe bend some 1.5 inch tubing around the tire part extending out to the corners of the skid to reinforce it and form a sort of bumper.
    That sounds pretty good. I agree that tubing is the best way to match the round cladding sections while providing protection.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    You've boggled my mind Jack, are you talking about the VX or 4runner?
    talking about your VX... lets get together and weld up something to protect that tire...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool Nice Work...

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Looks great Jon, nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Amazing....nice job Jon!
    Top quality design and work as usual Jon.

The VX looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    i could look at pictures like this all day - very nice work
    Times about elevent'y BILLION....

talking about your VX... lets get together and weld up something to protect that tire...
    Right on Jack, I would love the help. I plan to start on the bumper & winch plate in a month or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Times about elevent'y BILLION....
    Thanks Dub Dude

So much wisdom, in so few words...

Hopefully we'll see YOU in MOAB.

Alright, I installed the new basket and LED bar.

Rola Basket: overall seems to be a great deal for the size and strength. The basket fits the roof nicely and can be mounted on the roof bars easily. I decided to mount the rack directly on the roof rails using a variation of Zeus' How-to. The basket includes a fairing and mounting hardware from etrailer with fast shipping included for $185.

http://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Cargo-C...ola/59504.html

30" LED Light Bar: I purchased the light bar from Expedition Outfitters for $325. The quality seems very nice and it's insanely bright with 60 LEDs, 180 watts and 11000 Lumens. Mounting was very easy on the Rola basket because the bar has adjustable base feet. I still need to find a way to lock the light bar to the VX... don't want it wandering off.

http://explorationoutfitters.com/ - They list items on ebay, check there first for the best deal. Mine was $325 including a wiring harness and free shipping.

Again...nicely done. Have you thought of using some sort of security screws to secure the light?