Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: RADO's Off Road Rig- Build Thread

VXorado, not sure if I missed the post, but how do you have the basket mounted up top? Are you using the Yakima Rail Grabber mounts you have listed in the OP? I really like how it sits nice and tight to the roof.

BTW, Awesome build!
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Knigh7s View Post
    VXorado, not sure if I missed the post, but how do you have the basket mounted up top? Are you using the Yakima Rail Grabber mounts you have listed in the OP? I really like how it sits nice and tight to the roof.

BTW, Awesome build!
    I skipped using the rail grabbers because it made the basket sit too high for the garage. I made mounts directly on the roof rails by following the write-up by Zeus.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=23

Oh nice! I forgot all about that writeup! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I skipped using the rail grabbers because it made the basket sit too high for the garage. I made mounts directly on the roof rails by following the write-up by Zeus.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=23

About time to update the thread again. I can't believe it's already been a few months since the Moab trip. I took a break from most VX projects this summer and haven't had any updates. I decided to have fun on the trails and focused most of my garage time to finishing SFIFS kits. I'm wrapping up the kits and almost ready to start up on bumpers. The winch worked great (tested in it Moab) but I still have some work to do with the plate design along with spare tire protection in the back. Oh and the SFIFS works awesome, it was way too much work building the kits but the end result is worth it.

Here's a few Moab pics. Some of the pics are already on a thread somewhere but I figured they could also be here... and I couldn't do an update without pictures.

Fantastic pictures, love your mods too!

Love the Pics, and the truck.

I just finished my install of the SFIFS today. will be testing it in PA on the 14 of sep cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by subject47 View Post
    Love the Pics, and the truck.

I just finished my install of the SFIFS today. will be testing it in PA on the 14 of sep cant wait.
    Sweet!!! I hoping to take some really good SFIFS trail pics soon. I had a great opportunity last weekend and didn't take the picture.

what are the advantages of independent front suspension again? i thought for off roading everyone wants solid front axles? i was under the assumption that IFS was just for better on road handling and a smoother ride...

Solid front axle gives you more offroad flex.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    what are the advantages of independent front suspension again? i thought for off roading everyone wants solid front axles? i was under the assumption that IFS was just for better on road handling and a smoother ride...
    You have it right. A dedicated trail rig for rock crawling will always have a solid front axle because it's stronger (or can be equipped stronger) and offers better articulation. Some obnoxious Jeepers will tell you that anything without a solid front axle is garbage for off road and that comment usually comes from the guy with street queen chromed out Rubicon. The stock jeep setups don't offer much benefit over IFS because they're still built for the masses and sacrifice articulation for comfort & safety. Of course, they have lots of aftermarket options to make them incredible off road.

The super flexy IFS we're talking about links the torsion bars & creates better articulation on the trail. The travel of the IFS is still limited but the suspension will balance out the VX more and provide increased traction when you're driving on uneven terrain. I usually draw a picture to explain it but essentially you give some of the solid axle trail benefits to IFS while keeping the IFS for improved road handling & ride.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Solid front axle gives you more offroad flex.

Bart
    ...if properly built/set up.

'Rado...just tell those heep driving idiots two things....Shannon Campbell!
    Even though I still want a SAS! Have the axle, just need the $$$!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    ...if properly built/set up.

'Rado...just tell those heep driving idiots two things....Shannon Campbell!
    Even though I still want a SAS! Have the axle, just need the $$$!
    Will do Billy

I met up with a fellow ISUZU owner yesterday from the Planet. We decided to run a trail called Moody Hill near Fort Collins. Had a great time and ran into some challenging obstacles... glad I had rock sliders.

Traildamage.com rates Moody Hill a 3 on the low end and 8 on the high end. I'm pretty sure we did every obstacle.

Of course, it was raining and muddy which left the VX a HUGE mess. Usually I don't mind but Twalker is hosting the pin up calender shoot tomorrow and I had to spend half the day cleaning up the VX. I think photoshop is the only thing that will make it clean looking.

I'm back in the modding mood!!! I haven't worked on much since last April but now I have a fresh new list to start working on. Mostly small/moderate projects now but I have some BIG plans for 2014.

After having the 30" LED bar sit in the garage for months, I decided I wanted to use it without the cargo basket. Slightly permanently, I bolted the mounts directly on the VX roof to give the most low profile look. Wiring was a real pain... I ended up wiring through the door weather stripping & through the roof rails. The switch is mounted on my bezel from OTRATTW and is appropriately named, "LED LIGHT BAR."

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Nice! Let's go light up some trails, literally.
    Your new house looks awesome
    There's no 'I' in denial.

x2 on the house, makes me think more and more about CO...