Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: RADO's Off Road Rig- Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Steering Wheel

I did a trade with Mikemol that included my red/blk seats for a JDM steering wheel. The install was simple but required some wiring for the airbag which I was able to do without too much trouble.
    Bit of a hijack here but your PM box is full... can you post how you got the wiring to work? I may be picking up a JDM wheel in the near future but want to understand the level of difficulty involved in fixing the wiring.

Thanks and congrats on a great rig!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Bit of a hijack here but your PM box is full... can you post how you got the wiring to work? I may be picking up a JDM wheel in the near future but want to understand the level of difficulty involved in fixing the wiring.

Thanks and congrats on a great rig!
    There's a different connector on the JDM airbag and you will need to swap to the US connector. This can be done by splicing the US connector onto the JDM airbag. That's it!

I cannot confirm the airbag will actually work, but there is no airbag light on the dash.

Thanks!

Help

I just installed a 3 inch calming lift on my 01 VX and the front after adjustment got really bouncy like i am riding just on the bars. I also want to put 35 inch tires....can someone point me in the right directions as to what i should buy for modifications to take care of this......thanks.

Help

I just installed a 3 inch calmini lift on my 01 VX and the front after adjustment got really bouncy like i am riding just on the bars. I also want to put 35 inch tires....can someone point me in the right directions as to what i should buy for modifications to take care of this......thanks.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    For my 35's.. i did the following.

At back
    =====

919 OME springs in rear with 2 inch spacers...you'll need spacers on your calmini springs.
    Adjustable rear links..to re-center rear axle.. ( no mods to rear wheel wells required)

At Front
    =====

T-bar crank.
    Diff drop
    extensive cut/grind/ BFH ! ... at rear of wheel wells.
    Extensive trim of cladding at front of wheel wells.

GET ALIGNMENT !

Obviously the ride 'comfort' will suffer relative to stock..
    .. form & function sometimes butt heads !!

Cheers

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I just installed a 3 inch calmini lift on my 01 VX and the front after adjustment got really bouncy like i am riding just on the bars. I also want to put 35 inch tires....can someone point me in the right directions as to what i should buy for modifications to take care of this......thanks.
    HD torsion bars

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    The HD torsion bars seem to me...

Quote Originally Posted by vxcp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    HD torsion bars
    ...to be unnecessary.

Maybe I have an insensitive butt!!...
    ...but having driven both OEM and HD t/bar VX's on 35's..... I didnt see / feel any difference.

Jo

I never ran HD T-bars with 35" either, but they usually are the solution to front end diving due to braking. I would assume they would just make the ride stiffer and more harsh.

With that being said Rockman...

I had my VX all suspension lifted for a week on 35" tires before I decided to order the body lift kit. There's a road on my way to work that is full of large cracks and the stiff suspension was really uncomfortable. In general, the ride gets harsher as you lift. After the body lift, the VX more like it was before the 35"s because I was only at 2-2.5" suspension lift. The body lift/suspension lift/35" tire combo worked well for me with pros and cons for several years before I decided to upgrade.

Also, I would run my tires a 25-27 PSi to take the edge off the bumpiness.

thanks a lot guys....this was very helpful and now the project begins!!!

VXorado......did you get 35s to actually fit with only that much suspension lift? i got the calmini kit which is 3 inches. not sure if that was the right choice after dealing with them i wish i bought elsewhere.

No, I had old man emu 912 coil springs with spacers to fit the 35s. Probably around 4-4.5" lift. I reduced the suspension after installing the body lift.

I originally had a Calmini lift with the VX when I got her.. with 33's.

... 2 inch spacers where needed for 35's.

Calmini coils tend to sag..I eventually changed to OME 919's with same spacers.

Jo

Time to give this ol' thread a bump. As expected, "several" changes have been made to the Vehicross since last summer. I've kept up the build thread on Planetisuzoo if anyone is curious.

Wheeling season is getting close!!! It's nice to start thinking about using the Vehicross for fun rather than endless winter projects.

I hit the trails last weekend for a shakedown run before Moab. It's still very snowy in the CO mountains and most areas are closed. I was able to attempt the first obstacle on Spring Creek. Scott (another CO VXer) joined me for the shakedown run.

Scott attempting the obstacle

That's all for now. If there is interest, I can try to do a better job updating this thread.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VXorado For This Useful Post:

siemprelisto (04/29/2016)

Love the last pic Jon... Got Flex !!.. front & Rear

Bring on BFE !

Jo