Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: RADO's Off Road Rig- Build Thread

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Shock Towers

I found the tallest towers I could and cut them through the wheel wells into the engine bay. The biggest challenge was rearranging a few things in the engine bay but I was able to make it all fit. On the driver's side, I had to cut a section of the tower out to allow clearance for the steering shaft. Lastly, I fabbed up a tube to mount between the towers that should add some strength & rigidity to the towers/frame.

Now I'm working on the trackbar... If I dedicate a bit of time this weekend, I may even get the VX on the road for a test drive!

I sure wish I could work that fast! ...and simple. Try running the track bar front to rear for best results.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    I sure wish I could work that fast! ...and simple. Try running the track bar front to rear for best results.
    Oh yeah we're moving along...

I had to drop $100 on a reamer for the 1-ton TRE. It only took about 10 minutes of turning really slow with a cordless drill. Now that the steering draglink is mounted, I can get the angle for the trackbar.

It's possible (fingers crossed), I'll have this build on the road today!

Very nice work!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

Awesome....

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1999 Green heap that takes up space in my garage
    I created an account on vehicross.info so that I could communicate with you since it seems that you are now spending nearly every waking moment in the garage. JK. That's an overstatement. To be fair, you do come in to eat and use the restroom.

I spelled Avocado wrong in my username. I'm so embarrassed. I guess that's what I get for trying to publicly shame you on your own thread.

I'm taking your pumpkin, all the pumpkin bread, and Buddy hostage. If you ever want to see any of them again, you better get out from under that VX and get in here.

Sincerely- your loving, supportive, funny, easygoing, beautiful, modest wife.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    This....
    This....
    and
    This....

Its 'Avacdo'..with an "M"

jo

Lizette and I love you two. Parts of this seem to hit close to home. Now John you better pay up to get Buddy free cuz we all know that buddy needs you, and I'll take the pumpkin bread.

Such a funny wife I have...

I did spend a good amount of time in the garage this weekend, probably 10 hrs over two days but don't let Avacadobaby fool you! I took her out for date night on Friday, movie night on Saturday, breakfast & pumpkin carving on Sunday! I feel I did a very equal 1:1 VX vs wife time this weekend.

Didn't quite get the VX on the road yesterday. I finished the shock mounts and tightened down all of the bolts to get the VX road worthy. I found I needed to drill out the brakelines I got from Indy4x and I didn't have the right size drill bit. So a trip to the store later and I was able to mount the brakelines. Lastly I needed to charge the shocks and bleed the brakes before the test drive. That's when I noticed my big bottle of dot3 was about empty. Called in the towel... shouldn't be a problem finishing today after work.

I'll get some update pics posted soon.

After a long debate with myself, I decided to go with ORI Struts vs coil-overs. I stumbled across these while researching coil-over towers and something about them just cried out "buy me." Of course I did a good amount of research on them first; after all I've only heard bad things about air shocks. Seems like 90% of everyone who owns ORI struts swears by them.

Pros:
    Fully and easily tunable, height adjustable
    Internal hydraulic bump stops- no need for external bump stops and limiting straps
    Very stable- no sway bar needed
    No unloading

Cons:
    No physical spring holding up the vehicle
    Noticeable shock fade for high speed racing

They're a lot more complex than air shocks. They use opposing nitrogen reservoirs that split the task of damping and lift. Because of the separate sections, they're very stable & eliminate unloading. They’re very adjustable too and allow you to change everything in a matter of minutes. To adjust them, I needed to buy a nitrogen tank & regulator which added to the cost. They’re also more expensive than coil-overs but the cost evens by not needing bump stops, limit straps or a swaybar.

We’ll see, I hope they work out well for my setup.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    ^^^^
    These are even sexier in person! And remember the camera adds 20 lbs.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

For those prices, they should include free tee shirts. Which is all I can afford.. sweet struts!!

Those are what Beau (Ascinder) & I have discussed as well. They look very promising! I decided against them tho... for now... I hope I get a chance to feel what they ride like in Moab.. hint hint.

Yep, those struts we're expensive enough... they'd better work well!

I think the test drive is happening today. I had to work late last night and wasn't able to finish everything. Got the brakes bled last night and now I just need to swap bolts on the shocks, charge up the shocks, take a drive and snap some pics.

I'm nervously excited!
    Last edited by VXorado : 10/28/2014 at 08:24 AM

Let's see some poser flex shots!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)