Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: RADO's Off Road Rig- Build Thread

looking great, if you need any help let me know, i might be slow with the wrist but at least i would have one good hand to give you.

Coming along nicely. I was reading a Zu build on Pirate and they were using an f250 steering box. Said it worked great and had enough power that no hydro assist was needed with large tires.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Otwobme View Post
    looking great, if you need any help let me know, i might be slow with the wrist but at least i would have one good hand to give you.
    Thanks, I should be good getting the VX to the test drive. After that,your lift might be a real help for making adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Coming along nicely. I was reading a Zu build on Pirate and they were using an f250 steering box. Said it worked great and had enough power that no hydro assist was needed with large tires.
    I researched quite a bit on steering. Initially, I was going to use a FJ60/FJ80 box because they have a forward facing pitman arm. I believe the splined u-joint on the steering shaft is the same but the gearbox hose connectors are a different size. I found that with my axle location, I could get away with using a rear facing pitman arm and save $500 not using a toyota setup.

I had read the same about the F-250 box but that's even more work than using the toyota box because it would need a new steering shaft. The F-250 is a bigger box but I believe the gearing is the same. I'm not convinced you would get much extra benefit of a bigger box without a larger, higher pressure steering pump.

I figured for now I would keep it simple and cheap by using a stock ZU box. If I have issues with weak steering, I'll look into a new setup &/or hydro assist when I have more time.

Check with Buffy on the trick steering setup he put on his race truck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Check with Buffy on the trick steering setup he put on his race truck.
    Yeah he's got full hydro steer (I believe Sleveritt with Nuke VX does too). Best option for offroad, not great for streets. For daily driving, hydro assist kits exist to keep eveything original in place but more turning power for bigger tires. Awesome but expensive and I blew all my extra spending money on the suspension!!!

Buffy's full hydro

Hydro assist

uve created a monster hajaha nice

Nice progress! Was the radius arm approach required to get the maximum up-travel vs. a 3-link? Or were there other clearance issues at all? Short wheelbase with a 2-link front suspension tends to unload on hills. I'm curious because it was a compromise I was willing to live with myself until I found more room for a third link on my Blazer build.
    Excited to see some flex shots!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Nice progress! Was the radius arm approach required to get the maximum up-travel vs. a 3-link? Or were there other clearance issues at all? Short wheelbase with a 2-link front suspension tends to unload on hills. I'm curious because it was a compromise I was willing to live with myself until I found more room for a third link on my Blazer build.
    Excited to see some flex shots!
    Based on several Isuzu builds I researched, the 3 link setup always ended with a taller ride height vs the radius arm. The Isuzu frame is tricky because it seats the engine pretty shallow compared to most other SUVs. For instance, someone had mentioned notching the frame to fit the histeer but when I looked into that option I found the front oil pan sticks down an 1" below the frame.

Additionally, there are two great radius arm builds on the planet and really liked the end result. For the geometries, it seemed to be an easier to tackle when working on a garage floor.

...as for unloading, it has been a concern of mine BUT I have a trick up my sleeve to prevent it.

We did a SAS on my buddies Rodeo race truck, which is pretty much the same as the VX. We went with the Toyota steering box on his. The steering shaft was the same and in his case the hoses threaded right on. We had to modify the pitman arm by straightening is some and had to clearance the frame a bit. The setup works quite well actually.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Based on several Isuzu builds I researched, the 3 link setup always ended with a taller ride height vs the radius arm. The Isuzu frame is tricky because it seats the engine pretty shallow compared to most other SUVs. For instance, someone had mentioned notching the frame to fit the histeer but when I looked into that option I found the front oil pan sticks down an 1" below the frame.

Additionally, there are two great radius arm builds on the planet and really liked the end result. For the geometries, it seemed to be an easier to tackle when working on a garage floor.

...as for unloading, it has been a concern of mine BUT I have a trick up my sleeve to prevent it.
    Sounds to me like a winch-attached-down-travel-limiter (TM)! What you are describing is exactly what I was running up against on my build also. Lots O Fun! Things get tight really quick...

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    We did a SAS on my buddies Rodeo race truck, which is pretty much the same as the VX. We went with the Toyota steering box on his. The steering shaft was the same and in his case the hoses threaded right on. We had to modify the pitman arm by straightening is some and had to clearance the frame a bit. The setup works quite well actually.
    That's good to know. I had read a post on Pirate a while back that the threads where different and new lines would need to be made. I have the ZU box mounted now which was a bit of challenge because it had to be move forward a bit. I will play around with my old box for tapping hole to add hydro assist. If it doesn't work out, I may refab the steering for a tapped toyota gearbox + hydro assist.

Sounds to me like a winch-attached-down-travel-limiter (TM)! What you are describing is exactly what I was running up against on my build also. Lots O Fun! Things get tight really quick...
    Nope, not a winch. It will be part of the spring suspension.

Things are tight, finding a spot for the track bar is tricky. I think I might run it in reverse at the same angle as the draglink.

Are u joking about the track bar direction? I swear u are mocking the Nuke VX with that comment! If not, please reconsider.

Are u joking about the track bar direction? I swear u are mocking the Nuke VX with that comment! If not, please reconsider.
    Now you've offended me Justin,

... I will install two opposing, opposing track bars. That should keep the bump steer minimal.

Yep, just messing with you.

Haha! Jerk! Whew, u had me going there... Two opposing track bars would work much better; great thinking!

Steering is mounted

I was able to use the stock steering box but it was a little hassle getting it mounted. Because of the pitman arm angle, I needed mount the box flat which caused a nice angle on the steering shaft u-joint. I'm not that happy about the U-joint angle although I don't see it being much of an issue for the time being. To allow frame clearance of the u-joint, I needed to raise up the mounting position of the box by 1.25." I still plan to add a bottom plate to the box for extra support.

I may end up switching to a Fj60 steering box at some point if I notice in wear issues occuring with the ZU box. If everything works well but I need extra turning power, I'll look into tapping the box for hydro assist. Indy4x sells an HD u-joint that I can install if I notice any wear on the stock u-joint.

I still need to ream the pitman arm for 1-ton TREs